Sony to build PS3s in Brazil, offer localized releases

Wednesday, 8th May 2013 10:39 GMT By Alex Donaldson

As part of ongoing attempts to expand their user-base, Sony is to begin manufacturing PlayStation 3 consoles in Brazil and will offer fully localized versions of upcoming titles day-and-date with their worldwide launches.

While the PlayStation 4 is becoming a greater point of focus, Sony are continuing to battle for unit sales for its elder brother. Brazilians can look forward to fully-localized versions of both Grand Theft Auto V and The Last of Us in Brazilian Portuguese.

The Last of Us will launch day-and-date with its counterparts around the world, while GTA5′s Brazilian Portuguese translation will be the first of its kind for the series.

Sony’s commitment to building PS3 consoles in Brazil is also a big move – and Sony claims it will inject $300 million into the local economy and lead to over-inflated console prices finally falling.

This is all a pretty big deal over in Brazil, as the country is often behind with gaming hardware significantly. Engadget points out that the PS2 didn’t launch there until 2009 – but they are finally catching up, with Sony chasing this market as a method of easy expansion.

1. Dragon246

Absolutely great move. Developing markets will only grow in size, and it surely helps to get there early. Most developing countries impose heavy taxes on foreign goods, so it will also help reduce costs.

2. raftos

I’m brazilian and it’s great news, but it’ll be expensive anyway: R$ 1100,00. Or US$ 550,00 !!!!
    And the new releases, like GTA V, costs US$ 100,00. I think Brazil has a lot to do about the games. Our taxes are abusive, we missed years of growth in game industry because of it. It’s too expensive to develop a game here, too expensive to produce anything here. Ubisoft tried to develop here, but they gave up. The result is that people here still look for the grey market to buy consoles and games, it’s cheaper and easy.

By the way, microsoft is doing a good job with the 360, that costs 399 dollars, for the 4GB model, and the same 550 for the 250 GB model. They’re localizing all of their games, even with diologues in portuguese, like in Halo 4 and the new Gears.

And about the PS2 release date, we still don’t have Wii U officialy and nintendo doesn’t have a date to release it here. But we can find the “not-official” for “only” US$500.

Oh, hell, i wish a were an american gamer sometimes…

3. Dragon246

@2,
    Yeah, MS already has a plant, good move by them.
    I can feel your pain at least on console prices though, still we have it a bit cheaper.

4. MFBB

#2 why dont you order games/consoles from other countries?

I live in Germany and always buy games from England, a lot cheaper.

5. Dragon246

@4,
    EU has unified taxes (mostly AFAIK), Brazil doesn’t have that. These items will probably be confiscated at airport and taxed there, so most probably that wont work.

6. deathm00n

@5 Exactly. For example, I’m looking for a copy of Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition here. The cheaper one I found is costing US$100 (R$200). On ebay I found one for US$60, but if it gets caught in the airport (it’s random, they choose some products and others not), it’s a tax of 40% more in the price. Even digital games on the PSN store costs US$100, giving a quick look in the store right now I see that Soulcalibur 5 (hardly a new game) costs US$85.

Thankfully we have lot of options, as rafos said, there’s the grey market. Stores buy a lot of games from other countries and sell cheaper than the ones sent here by the developers. I’ve bought my PS3 (slim 160gb) for just US$400, it’s super cheap for our standards. No wonder we are one of the countries with more pirated content, Xbox is the best seller here because anyone can pirate for it. And they call me crazy for buying original games. I must be, because I earn per month only US$200 (I’m in internship), and more than half of that go for games, or might I say “game”.

7. Cool P

@5 Indeed that is what happens. The most usual way to get a cheap console is when someone you know goes to the US and you ask them to bring you one.

Text related, this is good news, but it feels that we are being forgotten sometimes. Like the text said, the ps2 only got it’s official launch here in 2009 and now the ps3 in 2013. When are we getting a ps4? 2018-20?
    Also it is a shame that our government put games in the same category as gambling, which is why we have so many taxes on top of them. Hopefully things will start to change, with so many eyes on us now.
    Btw, this move is part of a new campaign called ”O Brasil vive em estado Play”, something like ”Living in a state of Play”.

8. romuloff

This is really good news for Brazil. Microsoft already helped lowering the prices of exclusive games, like Halo or Gears, which cost approximately US$60. Ubisoft too, Assassins Creed 3 is costing US$45. Now it’s the time for Sony, i just hope they do this to PS4 sooner than PS2 and PS3.

9. OlderGamer

I think if i lived under those conditions I would retro game. That has to be cheaper doesn’t it? Or pirate? Is that an option?

10. thiagomei

@9, as of now console gaming is just a bad investment in Brazil. PC gaming though is a nice option, specially if you have Steam as games are cheaper than the original pricing in the US – although it would cost you $1000 to build a $500 PC.

11. FredSeph

The brazilian dubbers must learn to act instead of only reading an script while recording. Halo 4 dialogs are pretty ugly. They should learn how to record as Blizzard has done with Diablo 3, where there is an excelent brazilian portuguese dubbing and acting. Sometimes even pt-br subtitles are horrible as in Mortal Kombat. I’m brazilian, but most of time I still rather play with the original sound than the localized.

12. Eddie Rodrigues

@11 Indeed, with the noticeable exception of BO2, the remaining dubs are just… ugh.

@10 I’m sad I only noticed that at the end of the gen.

@2 Listen to this man, he sadly speaks the truth…

13. Rafa_L

Nice to see other brazilians in the comments. I think they said everything there is to say.