InFamous: Second Son protagonist can control smoke, absorb powers

Wednesday, 8th May 2013 23:29 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Delsin Rowe is the new hero of InFamous: Second Son, and his powers are quite different from the electricity-fuelled abilities of Cole McGrath.

New details regarding the PlayStation 4 title have surfaced from the June issue of GameInformer, which is already available through digital channels, and were harvested by GamingEverything.

Protagonist Delsin is 24 years old and Native American, described as artistic and anti-authoritarian with a penchant for graffiti.

In the future setting of Second Son, conduits have been labelled terrorists, and are under the authority of the Department of Unified Protection. Delsin discovers he is a conduit himself when he encounters a bus filled with identified conduits being transported to be held without trial. Dragging an injured pasenger from the wreck, his natural ability to absorb other conduits’ powers is triggered.

Previously an average joe, Delsin is then able to control smoke. Unlike Cole, he’s excited by his newfound skills. His moves include a smoke projectile, a fireball, a drop attack, a stunning smoke cloud, and a dash. He can also enter air ducts to get around, and refreshes his power at chimneys, burning cars and even from tear gas. Later he’ll have non-smoke related powers and will be able to switch between sets of complementary skills at will. If all else fails, he can attack with a chain.

The game plays out in Seattle – the map is not accurate – which is put in lockdown following the escape of the busload of conduits. Delsin can rampage through DUP bases – taking out security systems first is more effective – around the city, but can’t leave thanks to thick forests at the edge of the map. As the PlayStation 4 reveal hinted, the DUP is reminiscent of America’s TSA, with the city coming to resemble an airport with its emphasis on security. Unlike the TSA, though, DUP guards behave similarly to SWAT teams. Some of them seem to have supernatural abilities, but Sucker Punch is apparently being coy about that,

Second Son is expected sometime around the PS4 launch, in the 2013 holiday period.

1. Beta

I’m very excited for this :D

#1 11 months ago
  2. Erthazus

Anti Aliasing On consoles. Unbelievable LOL. Never thought that I will live to this day. Decent textures and liquid material.

But to be honest, trees and stuff is not that impressive. This game could easily be on the PS3 with toned down facial animation and animation in general, toned down effects…

Gameplay wise it is also not a next gen title but it is inFamous. It sure must be good.

#2 11 months ago
  3. dreamcastnews

I never really rated InFamous. It’s fluid as hell but something about it was just a letdown for me. I guess I was spoilt by Uncharted around the same time.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Phoenixblight

Because FXAA has come out which these consoles can now handle. BTW Facial animations do not cost any data what does is the polycount and textures. Please don’t talk about these things if you don’t understand.

BTW half these screenshots are rendered and not ingame.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Christopher Jack

@Brenna, “he his”, first sentence. Feel free to del my comment once fixed :)

#5 11 months ago
  6. Erthazus

“Facial animations do not cost any data”

“Please don’t talk about these things if you don’t understand.”

Since that your Diablo 3 fiasco you can say that to yourself only because you don’t understand at anything at all.

“BTW half these screenshots are rendered and not ingame.”

My screenshot from D3 was also probably a render and not in-game. you are such an idiot Phoenixblind.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Phoenixblight

“that’s why there is Uncharted with less detailed facial animation during the gameplay while cut-scenes that are prerendered have fantastic ones.”

Less Polies make less details. Freaking christ man.

Keep bringing up Diablo 3 that is all you have.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Christopher Jack

Personally I would have preferred the bad ending to go on, where you’re a conduit resisting Cole’s army, but then I thought that it maybe too similar to prototype again.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Dark

Looks good , Can’t wait.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Brenna Hillier

@5 cheers, and no need for deleting. My tendency towards typos isn’t a secret ;)

#10 11 months ago
  11. Erthazus

@7, Well, I can bring previous Geforce thing because it is also a rumor and so on.

“Less Polies make less details. Freaking christ man.”

and so is animation. Any detail is a resource for something. But of course you don’t know that. Delsin has amazing in-game face in general compared to almost any game on current gen.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Christopher Jack

I just get blasted for correcting in my own home, most the time it’s constructive or I’m trying to unscramble their sentence so it makes sense. Families >.<

#12 11 months ago
  13. Phoenixblight

I do know about this stuff since this is exactly what I get paid for. The more polies the model has the more definition the character can have with animation.

Pre-rendered stuff can break the rules because they are made and rendered out of engine and brought into the game while in game the models will be reduced in poly count for efficiency.

Anyone in the industry can tell you that.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Moonwalker1982

If it actually looks like this in-game, i’m impressed. Looks very good for a game that is supposed to launch with the system. But how big is the chance that its actually a launchgame? Wasn’t it just one rumour saying it was the case?

#14 11 months ago
  15. YoungZer0

“Unlike Cole, he’s excited by his newfound skills.”

Now that sounds good. We have way too many heroes that hate their new found powers.

“and refreshes his power at chimneys”

Sounds rather hilarious. Wonder if you get more options the more powers you have.

I’m still confused about the story. Does this mean that Cole choose the bad ending? Because the good ending kills off all conduits.

Anyway, I really dig the design of the new guy. Breath of fresh air from buzzcut Cole.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Phoenixblight

Its in the future so it doesn’t matter and lets assume if they went with the good ending they can always put in another plug of another scientist creating another conduit making machine or humanity just evolving.

#16 11 months ago
  17. YoungZer0

@16: It does matter depending on how far it is into the future.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Phoenixblight

Looking into it. Looks like 7-8 years in the future. SO that is already creating issues a totalitarian government in just 8 years. So Sucker Punch went with the good ending.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Rafa_L

@8 @15 @16 I don’t recall seeing any confirmation that the story follows any ending, and they can always create a back story to get both endings to the same point.

@15 I’m also kind of tired of heroes resented with their powers.

#19 11 months ago
  20. Rafa_L

@ 18 Ok, just read the article. Good ending it is =)

#20 11 months ago
  21. Phoenixblight

*edit*

Removed

#21 11 months ago
  22. YoungZer0

@18: 8 years is more than enough to create a totalitarian government. Thanks for the link.

#22 11 months ago
  23. Phoenixblight

After what had happened it would make sense. Its a minor thing for me. I really can’t wait to play this game.

#23 11 months ago
  24. redwood

god why do people talk about cgi-quality :( it ‘s soooooooooooo stupid…

#24 11 months ago
  25. dravenkaze

All you should care about is gameplay you silly people you

#25 11 months ago
  26. Juice_Man101

@25 but that would mean we like to play games and everyone knows we watch games not play them

#26 11 months ago
  27. Clupula

@18 – It’s a shame it used that ending. I guess that means I should force myself to get the good ending one day before I get a PS4.

Honestly, I love the Infamous games, but it just goes against every one of my instincts to play the games as Good Cole. You give me powers like that, I would NOT be using them for the benefit of humanity.

#27 11 months ago
  28. monkeygourmet

Shitty Tattoos – Check
    ‘Cool’ counter culture Interest in ‘Street art’ – Check
    CCTV / Anomymous focus – Check
    Dooshy looking main Character – Check

I have definatly realised the generation shift as i’ve been playing games lately. This character and the way he was described by the dev’s just sounds like prime 10 year material.

Also, it sounds like they have re-used alot of the abilities from Infamous – Vampire DLC. Instead of ‘bat’ teleportation it’s smoke. Very similar stuff going on.

I bet they have been watching ‘chronicle’ & ‘hereos’ on repeat to come up with this stuff.

#28 11 months ago
  29. theevilaires

So its X-men meets Mark Ekco’s Getting Up meets Young Justice?

#29 11 months ago
  30. monkeygourmet

Basically yeah, with Kratos’s ‘Chains of Olympus’ weapon.

All the stuff kids want!!!

I also assume there will be numerous protest / anonymous references throuhout its script.

And it stars a young Kevin Bacon… (pic 2)

#30 11 months ago
  31. DrDamn

At some point you might have to accept you are possibly getting old ;)

#31 11 months ago
  32. monkeygourmet

Never!!! :)

#32 11 months ago
  33. powerbuoy

Would love to see some improvements in physics for this one. Remember throwing cars around in the first two and they bounce around like pinballs. More and better destruction would make any super hero game better as well imo. But like everything else we’ve seen from next gen I assume it’ll just be the same game as before but with better graphics.

#33 11 months ago
  34. Bomba Luigi

Controlling Smoke, hmm… now give me a Rubber Boy to Hunt.

#34 11 months ago