Xbox 720: Molyneux “knew a lot” about Microsoft’s plans, is currently “fascinated” by reveal

Thursday, 2nd May 2013 11:44 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft is gearing up to announce its Xbox 360 successor at an event on May 21, and former creative director at Microsoft Game Studios Peter Molyneux has suggested that while he “knew a lot” about the company’s next-gen plans, he’s fascinated to see which way the reveal will go.

Speaking with Edge, Molyneux discussed what he’d like to see from Microsoft’s new rig, and added, “I’m going to be absolutely fascinated to see what they finally come out with, because I kind of knew a lot when I was at Microsoft about what their plans were, and plans change and aspirations change.

“I’m sure they’ll have put a lot of time and thought and rehearsal into that press briefing, but I’m going to be fascinated to see what the hardware is, and how it will fit into this new world that we’re in now – this new world of hyper-connectivity, of super-portability.

“Or whether they’ll double-down and say ‘you know what? We are the games console, and that’s what we define ourselves as’ and say [they] don’t really care about hyper-connectivity or hyper-portability. It’ll be fascinating which way they jump.”

Molyneux suggested he’d prefer the latter, and added, “This is my personal feeling as a gamer. What I would do is double-down on what this console is for: it’s for playing games. It’s for playing console games for this massive, incredibly loyal audience of gamers out there.

“When they start to mix all this other stuff in there I’m kind of slightly like: ‘look, I don’t want another way of looking at Facebook’. You know, I’ve got all the ways of looking at Facebook. I don’t want another way of looking at Netflix. Just give me what I’ve paid my £299 for, and that is to play amazing, incredible computer games.”

What’s your view? Should Microsoft go large and pitch the new Xbox as a hardcore gaming device, or has the audience shifted enough to warrant an entertainment-heavy approach? Let us know below.

Meanwhile, Molyneux has teased he may make an appearance at Microsoft’s reveal, but not on stage. His latest project Curiosity may also end in time for the announcement. Are the two linked? Decide for yourself here.

Thanks OXM.

1. Templar_Dante

Peter Molyneux… has this used car salesman / snake oil salesman air to him. It shows even this article. He officially made me NOT excited for the xbox reveal.
    Mark
    My
    Words:

Xbox 720/ Xbox Infinity

Godus beta
    Godus release
    and live streaming of final layer of Curiosity Cube via XBL

*sigh*!!!!!!

#1 1 year ago
  2. adge_uk

He’s said that you can keep what is in the cube or share it with the world. The person that opens the cube will either get the next X-Box named after them or they can give kinect sensors to all the starving children of the world.

100% Guarantee this.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Logion

Molyneux is a guy that would get fascinated over a bucket of water.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dean

“Double-down”..? FFS. It’s bullshit bingo!

#4 1 year ago
  5. Templar_Dante

Logion, dont be fooled by his cheap fake philosophical bs.
    He knows he repeatadly spews garbage.
    Its a psychological experiment to see who believes it.
    Remember before Curiosity…. my God, the man was talking about dying..

#5 1 year ago
  6. The_Red

Good one. Also, sadly true.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Beta

I completely agree with this.

#7 1 year ago
  8. polygem

Peter and beta +1

#8 1 year ago
  9. Mjorh

How much he’s got 4 sayin this bullshits?! i’m sick of these kinda talks right before announcing sth…we ain’t no fool!

#9 1 year ago
  10. tenthousandgothsonacid

C’mon Dave – This is vg247. I’m sure you could have manufactured a “MOLYNEUX CONFIRMS NEXTBOX PRICE AT 299″ headline out of that :)

He does kind of hint that it’ll be a bit crap specs-wise and cost 299 tho doesn’t he ? And that is what all the leak(z) reckon.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Dave Cook

@10 No way man, I’m giving that shit a rest. Whenever I did it in the past it was through genuine mistakes and not really getting how badly it had been spun.

I don’t want to be a Sun writer. Not now, not ever :)

#11 1 year ago
  12. Samoan Spider

Well you’ve asked the question, so for my pennies worth, I think the audience has shifted enough to want a multi-faceted device. I personally don’t. I want a games machine to play games as I have other devices to do their jobs. But the fact remains that a lot of people want it, and will spend money to get it. We take the piss when companies off DLC, MTs and piece-meal releases. But they still sell shed loads. It shows once again we aren’t the majority. So in a business sense, it makes perfect sense and will most probably make them a load of money because we all know casual gamer people that own consoles for the occasional blast and to sit with the family watching Netflix or waving their arms on Kinect. We may not like it, but its a business and we have to respect that they have probably decided ‘you can’t please all of the people all of the time’.
    For me, it will be purely about the games so we will see. I said not long back that whatever happens I’ll buy both devices, but I’ll add a caveat to that: if they both provide me with a different enough selection of games to warrant the outlay.
    Oh and this -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_convergence

#12 1 year ago
  13. Cobra951

@7: +1 from me also. Anything besides gaming belongs on something else, like the PC I’m posting from.

#13 1 year ago