Hollywood actor to have a role in MGS 5 – rumour

Monday, 22nd April 2013 03:14 GMT By Brenna Hillier

An actor is going to appear in Metal Gear Solid 5 as “the one you thought I would be from the start”, apparently. If this were any other game, I’d probably bury this story in so much salt just looking at it would close your arteries.

The rumour comes via one of the dodgiest sources possible – a YouTube video called The Chosen One uploaded by a brand new account. In the video, which appears to be mimed to a speech generator, a masked claims to be a Hollywood actor who does voice-overs, including for several popular animated movies. The figure said they will be voicing a new character soon, and added that they will be “the one you thought I would be from the start”.

“Look closer, detectives. The hint is right in front of you,” the figure added, before promising to return on June 11 to reveal their true identity.

Naturally, speculation is rife that it might be David Hayter – but in a Twitter comment, the former voice of Solid Snake and Big Boss seemed to suggest he thinks the figure is a woman (although that doesn’t mean he’s not laying a false trail).

The account holder calls him or herself OnigawaraV, and if it is the same person who appears in the video, is referred to as “Mr Oni”. Oni is a Japanese word for a type of creature commonly translated into English as “ogre’, and Kojima referred to Metal Gear Solid 5 as “Project Ogre” for many months before reveal. An Onigawara is a decorative roof tile depicting an oni’s face.

Which brings us to the face in the video, which sports a bandage get-up very similar to that worn by a character in the trailers for The Phantom Pain, as well as by “Joakim Mogrem”, head of the fictional Moby Dick Studios said to be responsible for the title, which was later revealed as a Kojima Productions game and part of Metal Gear Solid 5. The actor who portrayed Mogrem has not been identified. The close similarity of the facial bandaging to real assets and promotional materials – like this image of Hideo Kojima wearing the Ismael face – is compelling.

On top of that, the figure in the video is wearing a shirt displaying the logos for The Phantom Pain and Moby Dick Studios. These haven’t been offered for sale and were last seen on Konami staff – but it’s not that difficult to recreate shirts.

So in conclusion: there are lots of reasons to think this video is not real, but given the bizarre way in which Konami has promoted Metal Gear Solid 5 to date – to the point that we don’t even know if Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are the same game – it could very well be. Sorry.

We’re expecting Metal Gear Solid 5 on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but we have no idea when.

Thanks, Lengendaryboss.

1. theevilaires

hope its Hayter.

2. Brenna Hillier

Me too. Mainly I really, really hope it’s not a troll, ha ha.

3. salarta

Obviously, this man will turn out to be Jennifer Hale returning to voice Naomi Hunter. It’s the very definition of obvious!

4. POOP CRUSTY

Lol I hope Kojima is behind this.
    All signs do point to David. We’ll see.
    Hopefully when he takes off his bandages he doesn’t turn out to be Robert Patterson or someone of the sort.

5. DSB

It’s just stupid enough to seem real.

6. POOP CRUSTY

Also june 11 is the first day of E3.

7. tmac2011

im just waiting , not like im going to figure it al out just let someone else do it lol

8. Rosseu

“the one you thought I would be from the start”
    Must be David who’s going to voice a young Solid Snake. Because we all thought he would be voicing Big Boss. Or am I missing some other awesome VA

9. DeVitowned

I thought it was Keifer Sutherland, from the trailer?

10. actuallyisnotafox

this is really interesting the way their going about this, and tbh i hope its some elaborate scheme involving david hayter, i really do, its just i expect his voice and to say a new mgs requires a new voice actor is wrong, look at mgs acid or mgr revengence :p

11. Clupula

Reading that hurt my head.

And I’m a huge fan, but sometimes, the machinations of Kojima make me tired.

Still, it’d be pretty awesome if it’s David Hayter. But that would make things even more complicated…

12. Johnny Cullen

Assuming that video is real, it won’t be Hayter. Seriously.

13. Clupula

I think I’m going to go make some tea.

14. Erthazus

EASY!
    Kiefer Sutherland

15. V

His Surprises are not exciting Again , when does he presents New IP ?
    Even though i am fan of his Metal Gear , but i tired it

16. The_Red

We already knew about him. Didn’t we?

Plus after all the drama caused by Hayter’s (forced) departure, I don’t they would go this far to reveal the non-Hayter, only to make more people angry.

17. Espers

it’s all about the voice acting, David Hater or no one else !!!!

18. viralshag

It’s going to be Kurt Russell doing his Plissken voice in place of Hayter doing his Snake voice based on Kurt Russell’s Plissken voice.

19. Hellhound30x

FUCK KOJIMA! So tired of this bullshit!

20. Lengendaryboss

Keep your negativity stored, developers do not have to put up with this incessant whining.

21. DuckOfDestiny

It’s Nolan North as the new voice of Snake.

22. salarta

@22: We are unfortunately in a sad state of affairs with the industry when it comes to respect for creators and their IPs. Consumers try to tell creators they can’t do what they want with their own IPs, things THEY created and would not exist if they had not made it. Yet at the same time, consumers will buy and praise disrespectful and insulting reboots of franchises even if the people that actually created the franchise loathe the new direction.

Respect for the past and for the people that made these things means absolutely nothing to the current generation; the current generation cares solely about having their personal whims satisfied, and naturally by extension the companies aren’t going to give a modicum of respect for the past since that’s clearly not what consumers value these days. Turn characters and franchises into the exact opposite of what they were meant to be, even at the protestations of the people that poured their hearts and souls into creating them in the first place, it’s what brings in the money.

23. Lengendaryboss

@23 Ha, kitty got wet :D
    @24 What you say is true and sad but all part of reality.

24. Clupula

@21 – I absolutely hate the phrase, but there’s nothing else I can say to you except, “Take a chill pill.”

25. YoungZer0

@24: So what’s your problem with the new DmC again? Because the original creator was okay with it. Yeah, you’re one of those people you complain about.

26. salarta

@27: http://gematsu.com/2010/09/devil-may-cry-creator-not-too-fond-of-new-dante

Of course, there’s also this: http://kotaku.com/5976048/original-devil-may-cry-creator-sticks-up-for-the-new-dmc

At this point, Kamiya’s actual feelings and the driving forces behind statements he made are up to speculation. With that done, I’m not going to argue with you on this matter, given your obvious vendetta toward me full of attempts to make everything I say look illegitimate since it clashes with how you want things to be.

27. Lengendaryboss

You do know there is a difference between hating New Dante and the game itself right?

28. salarta

@29: Yep, I don’t think I suggested there wasn’t a difference. I was merely dealing with the blatant attack by someone that clearly has it out for me on a more personal level. Realistically, I expect DmC would’ve been fine and received better if it was treated like a completely brand new IP, if the main character wasn’t put out there as being Dante, or if DmC was just a wild spinoff title and we knew the main series would continue. I’m sure the situation is much like how I am with Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within; I loved it and thought it was a great film in its own right, but I’m well aware that it doesn’t really count as Final Fantasy.

29. viralshag

@24, you seriously need to let the Lara thing go… I don’t even know what you’re basing it on and I’m starting to think you haven’t even played the new game…

30. YoungZer0

@28: “Whatever” “I miss him too …”

Devastating quotes right there, mate.

I think this quote here:

“That being said, DMC has been on its own path for a long time now and asking my opinion of things is pointless.”

Is much more interesting. Tell me, salarta, when they turned Dante into a stupid WOHOO adrenaline junkie in DMC3, did you care about Kamiyas comments? I somehow doubt it. You’re the definition of a weeaboo.

“given your obvious vendetta toward me full of attempts to make everything I say look illegitimate”

I think you do most of the work on your own.

@31: That’s because he hasn’t. He said so multiple times. He also sees no problem with making multiple comments about the content of a game he has never seen.

31. salarta

@31: First off, I never directly mentioned EITHER game mentioned thus far. I made broader statements. Let’s make this very, very clear right now before people start trying to blame me for this: I was not the one that brought up Tomb Raider or DmC, you guys did. I was content to leave it at the broader issues.

With that said, no, I haven’t played the new game, and I’m not going to. I don’t need to for the issues I’ve raised. The only thing I wouldn’t be able to reliably take a stance about based on watching videos, looking at pictures and reading wikis and interviews is gameplay. Invoking the “you have to play it first” gambit is a natural lose-lose situation. Playing it requires me to either buy it, rent it, or illegally download it; two cases result in me giving money to something I don’t want to give my money, and one merely involves me forcing myself to play a game I already don’t want to play… just so that I can be more “legitimate” in argument with some people on the internet? Furthermore, that “legitimacy” actually amounts to a whole lot of nothing. In the rare cases where I DID give in to such demands, all it earned was “Well, you hated the game before you played it anyway, so anything you say still doesn’t count.”

So, I waste my money or perform an illegal activity, gnash my teeth through something I don’t want to experience, and in the end all I get for it is a different excuse for why my perspective is supposedly invalid. For an argument on the internet. All the while, the person that demanded I play it can laugh it up that they got me to play something I didn’t want to play, especially if doing so resulted in me giving financial support to that thing. If what I’m saying is going to be dismissed anyway, I may as well keep the money for games I actually WANT to play, and reserve my game time for experiences that give me enjoyment and some sliver of hope for the future of the medium.

32. Clupula

My god, the first comment Salarta makes where he isn’t being creepy about some imaginary female character and even THAT, somehow, ends up in a pointless argument.

I had actually been wondering what his comment had to do with anything in the first place, but now suddenly it’s become a DmC/Tomb Raider argument for no real reason.

33. salarta

@34: Because other people decided it should be a DmC/Tomb Raider argument for no real reason.

My comment to Legendaryboss was about the overall disconcerting issues that affect all sorts of IPs, from Silent Hill to Resident Evil to Metal Gear and beyond. Metal Gear is a franchise where a lot of people complain about what Kojima wants to do with it even though it’s HIS intellectual property and he was the person that created it. Kojima wants to follow a new character, he isn’t allowed because consumers demand Solid Snake, even though he created the franchise. Yet at the same time, consumers prop up people that don’t even like or appreciate what was established in the past by a franchise’s actual creators; all that matters is if it fits their personal whims.

If you want to blame someone, blame the people that actually started it. Don’t blame the person that is forced to defend themselves because other people can’t let go for five seconds.

34. YoungZer0

“I don’t need to for the issues I’ve raised.”

Erm, yes you do. As me and others have pointed out, you have usually always been wrong about your assumptions. Most of the things you complained about simply were not in the game, until you changed your points.

“all it earned was “Well, you hated the game before you played it anyway, so anything you say still doesn’t count.””

Well, that’s your mindset, but I’d definitely think differently about your points if you actually played the games you often complain so much about. At least there would be an actual ground for a debate.

“All the while, the person that demanded I play it can laugh it up that they got me to play something I didn’t want to play, especially if doing so resulted in me giving financial support to that thing.”

Yep, that’s our masterplan. HAR HAR HAR HAR, he actually listened to us, what a fool. Paranoia much? -_-

“If what I’m saying is going to be dismissed anyway”

Again, most of the stuff you say is being dismissed because you’re flat-out wrong. It’s being dismissed because you DIDN’T PLAY it or DIDN’T SEE it.

“I may as well keep the money for games I actually WANT to play, and reserve my game time for experiences that give me enjoyment and some sliver of hope for the future of the medium.”

Cool, but then be so nice and shut up about games you never played. Again, you’re the guy who didn’t even care one bit about Lara Croft until they rebooted this tired Franchise. You only played one Tomb Raider game. Yet somehow think you’re the expert on the subject.

If it was just a comment you made once or twice, but you go on and on and on and on. It’s like all you care about is Lara Croft, Jill Valentine and why reboots suck. There has to be more to you than that.

35. salarta

@36: I won’t deny that I can and have been wrong about things. I am also fully aware that seeing the wider context can make an impact on interpreting specific moments. For instance, I was wrong about the choice of voice actor for Rosa in FF4DS; hearing it separately from the scene made it sound wrong, but once it was paired with the scene, it turned out to be perfectly fine. But being wrong about certain specific points does not change the overall picture. Knowing what happens with “Aya” at the end of 3rd Birthday does not change that Squeenix advertised and promoted the game as starring Aya, and set about framing Aya for all the rest of the game as this fragile sex object. I don’t need to watch every single scene in Terminator 2 to know that the film has a sub-element of John Connor bonding with the Terminator like it’s a father figure. If absolutely nothing else, even if the game itself is somehow perfection incarnate, the way marketing and advertising framed it is more than enough of an issue.

Under normal circumstances, I would say certain expectations were paranoid. I wouldn’t call “I made a comment on very broad issues in an article and someone went out of their way to attack me personally on a subject I never raised” to be normal circumstances. People with vendettas tend to find joy in such things.

Lastly, it is correct that I have only played a couple Tomb Raider games from earlier in the franchise (I played both TRII and TRIII), back when they were released. I don’t pretend to be an expert fan on everything Tomb Raider. I’m simply a person that had a couple experiences with the character in my youth, highly values the kind of woman the character used to be, and would have picked up the franchise again if they had done a reboot focused on THAT Lara rather than trying to reinvent her into a different character. I didn’t touch Angel of Darkness for the same reason I won’t touch the latest game: they’re not the Lara I knew, and they never will be. I’ll get back in with Tomb Raider once cues are taken from Mortal Kombat 9 in the “how to reboot a franchise” department.

36. viralshag

I made the connection because its almost word for word what Salarta says on most TR articles. And knowing its based on nothing more than second hand info I respect that opinion even less. But whatever, your entitled to the opinion and all that jazz.

37. Clupula

@35 – You know, I wasn’t going to give you shit, because as I said, it was the first post I had seen you make in a while that wasn’t you being creepy, so I had no problem with it. I actually agree that there was no reason for DmC nonsense to be talked about here.

However, in #37, you’re just being a big asshole with that spoiler for the 3rd Birthday. Some of us haven’t played it, you know, and were hoping maybe one day there’d be an HD version. Thanks for ruining the storyline. You’re on your own against these two.

38. salarta

@39: In this case, I’m genuinely sorry (which being honest with you, is a change from how I would have reacted a couple years ago). It’s been two years since the game came out, I figured anyone that had any interest in the game would have played it by now.

It’s too late for your case, but I’ll edit the comment for other people that might look later.

39. YoungZer0

@37: But I think 1 or 2 or even 3 scenes of a game that has CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, is not enough to form an opinion about how this character is going to be.

Also you do not seem to consider your nostalgia effect here. Have you replayed TR2/3 recently? Maybe your memories are deceiving you? Maybe Lara wasn’t as strong as you remember her?

And Mortal Kombat was as much a reboot as God of War Ascension.

Not. At. All.

It doesn’t do anything different than the previous Mortal Kombat and it actually is still a sequel. A reboot would REBOOT the franchise. Start from Scratch. Have you seen the Mortal Kombat Short Film? Now that’s the definition of a reboot.

But Mortal Kombat acknowledges the past history, right at the intro. Raiden sees the destruction and sends a signal to his former self. So it’s not actually a reboot. It’s still a sequel.

You might think that the name is a hint, but nope. It just sounds better than Mortal Kombat 9. Or Mortal Kombat: Choose your subtitle.