Batman: Arkham Origins inspired by Legends of the Dark Knight

Thursday, 18th April 2013 01:58 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Warner. Bros Montreal had a very specific section of the Batman canon in mind when conceptualising Arkham Origins.

“The main inspiration for Arkham origins is the comic book series Legends of the Dark Knight,” creative director Eric Holmes said in a video interview posted on GameInformer.

“It’s a series that started in 1989 and followed in the wake of a big trend of going back in time to examine early career years which I think was started primarily from Batman: Year One.

“Legends of the Dark Knight represented really important stories for the Batman mythologies because every time Batman met someone, or encountered some idea in the world – for example, the Venom drug – it was the first time he’d ever run across it rather than the 80th time.”

Other inspiration include the already-cited Year One, Frank Miller’s much-loved graphic novel, and Rocksteady’s work on the previous Arkham games; writer Dooma Wendschuch said in particular the theme of law versus justice – with Batman embodying latter and frequently breaking the former – would be important.

The rest of the interview discusses Batman’s relationship with certain characters and the contract of Arkham and Christmas.

Batman: Arkham Origins is due on PC, PlayStation 3, Wii U and Xbox 360 in October.

1. YoungZer0

“writer Dooma Wendschuch said in particular the theme of law versus justice – with Batman embodying latter and frequently breaking the former – would be important.”

Now that sounds interesting.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Brenna Hillier

@1 he said that every time Batman leaves the cave he’s breaking the law, as vigilantism is illegal. That’s why he’s has always needed Gordon, I guess; a lawman who looks the other way.

Anyway the main point is BATMAN <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

#2 1 year ago
  3. DSB

I’m also pretty sure that none of his vehicles are street/flight legal.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Brenna Hillier

@3 ha ha, yeah. Come to think of it pretty much everything Batman does is illegal. He doesn’t wear a reflective orange vest and safety helmet when he’s climbing a skyscraper, for example.

#4 1 year ago
  5. YoungZer0

:D

Personally I’m more of a Marvel guy. DC never really worked for me, they always seemed to be rather hostile to newcomers and … Aquaman sucks!

A few years back I wanted to give Bats a try again, picked up one of the comics and immediately lost interest. He was on an Island with Badguys or heroes and they had to solve a murder or something. It was like Clue. I know his origins but that really seemed … different.

Shouldn’t be punching people? Anyway, the comic concluded with the appearance of a bunch of heroes … I have never ever seen.

But even so, I can’t deny the awesomeness that is Batman. I think what defines a hero more than his personality is his enemies. Batman got a lot of them. A lot of great villains.

I recently read ‘The Killing Joke’ from Moore and ‘Joker’ from Azzarello again. I didn’t like ‘Joker’, if it wasn’t for the art by Bermejo I would’ve never gotten it. It’s just senseless violence.

‘The Killing Joke’ however, really earned its place among the classics.

Are there any other Batman Comics that are worth checking out?

Oh and one more thing I have to ask:

Can Harvey Dent be trusted?

#5 1 year ago
  6. Rosseu

Batman is better than Superman. Please keep making Batman games.

#6 1 year ago
  7. ItsFade

Check out Batman: Year One or Batman: The Long Halloween. If you checked out The Long Halloween and liked it the follow up Batman: Dark Victory is also quite good.

#7 1 year ago
  8. schnide

For an origins story, he’s got a very Dark Knight Rises costume.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Samoan Spider

Well so long as the quality and depth is there from the last 2 games, just take my money now!

#9 1 year ago