Gears of War: Judgment and God of War: Ascension “significantly underperformed” in March, new report finds

Tuesday, 16th April 2013 11:39 GMT By Dave Cook

Gears of War: Judgment and God of War: Ascension both performed poorly through March according to a new report from market analysts Cowen & Company.

GI.biz reports that he firm’s latest investor note pegs Judgment’s March sales at 425,000 units, compared to first-month sales of Gears of War 3 at over 2 million copies when it launched in September 2011.

The same trend applies to God of War: Ascension, which shifted 360,000 units through March, which is a large drop compared to first-month sales of God of War 3 at 1.1 million in March 2010.

Cowen & Company’s report says of the slump, “We had expected sales trends to improve in March due to a strong core line-up. Two historically strong franchises appear to have significantly underperformed.”

It’s not just software taking a hit either, as the report predicts that the NPD’s next report will announce that cboth consoles and handhelds were down 21% over the same period in 2011, and that physical software sales have dropped by 17%.

However, the news isn’t all bad, as the NPD is also predicted to announce a 66% in PC software sales, as bolstered by SimCity and StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm. Elsewhere, Cowan & Company’s report adds that 696,000 copies of Tomb Raider were sold in 33 days Stateside, and that 665,000 copies of Bioshock Infinite were sold across the US in just 10 days.

Let us know what you make of the figures below.

1. Beta

Unsurprising, barely any marketing or hype for these two games.

#1 1 year ago
  2. The_Red

I think it was to be expected. They were both “filler” games in the eyes of their respective publishers. Gears 4 had to continue the series before Gears 4 is shown for next Xbox and GOWA had to do this before GOW4 comes for PS4.

#2 1 year ago
  3. xBASSxMONSTAx

They were both crap that’s why.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Razor

Games nobody asked for in don’t sell shocker.

Hope SSM shake up God of War for PS4 though. Franchise is getting a bit stale now.

#4 1 year ago
  5. SameeR_Fisher

I don’t know about Gears, but it figures for Ascension, I mean I who is a fan of God of War didn’t like where they were going with that title, another prequel story -when we already had 2-, introducing unappealing MP -to me at least, it just didn’t tick-, and above all nothing to be excited about it -except being another God of War title-.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2, come on NOW, I NEED you in my PS3.

#5 1 year ago
  6. NooB GobliN

I bought and played both. MP in God of War was really fun. Bit of a cluster fuck for time to time but mostly real good. I have already forgotten everything about Gears of Judgment…

#6 1 year ago
  7. dtyk

A financially sound plan would’ve been to make a GoW for Vita. Low dev cost, and you only need to sell so much to make a return.

I’m an absolute fan of god of war but I didn’t even bother looking into ascension, which to me is odd to say the least.

#7 1 year ago
  8. The_Red

Both franchises need the shake-up. To me, Gears 2 was the best in the series and GOW2 was mostly better than the 3rd one. Right now, both of them have become stale.

#8 1 year ago
  9. _LarZen_

People are starting to get bored of the same games coming out over and over again.

And when they are bad at the same time it’s no wonder it’s not selling.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Hirmetrium

I confess to buying all previous gears of war games (they were great fun, with solid multiplayer and coop modes) but this time it just didn’t click. My normal collection of friends gave up on it faster than normal, and Gears of War 3 just isn’t fun without a solid group of dudes to fight through with. I couldn’t even play as my favourite Theron guard.

Not to mention boring, tired story….

So Judgement wasn’t going two win any favours with me.

God of war was always boring on a console as well – I’d much rather play MGS and sneak around rather than smash dudes in the face for 10 hours, with the occasionally frustratingly impossible fight. Free movement > Linear corridors.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Moonwalker1982

And with good reason (Gears) because the game is NOT Gears of War worthy if you ask me. I played it a few weeks ago and the campaign seems to be one big Horde mode, it’s ridiculous and just feels cheap. Most of all,i simply didn’t have any fun while playing it. Online was nothing special either if you ask me. But then again, i am rather tired of Gears.

#11 1 year ago
  12. woe

@Beta God of War: Ascension was advertised during the Super Bowl 2013 and had plenty of adverts on TV

#12 1 year ago
  13. Hunam

@4 hit the nail on the head. I didn’t really see the point in either as both had a GOW3 title that ‘finished’ the story.

So there you go gaming industry, don’t complete the trilogy then wonder why the prequel doesn’t sell.

#13 1 year ago
  14. SplatteredHouse

Publisher: “You mean…T…The…Metacritic projections were: Inaccurate!?!”

#14 1 year ago
  15. Hellhound30x

You want to know why? BECAUSE BOTH GOD OF WAR ASCENSION and GEARS OF WAR JUDGEMENT are both mediocre, and don’t compare well to their predecessors, in terms of quality, length, and story. Heck God of war Ascension made me want to play God of war 3. Gears of war Judgement made me want to go back and play Gears of war 3… that doesn’t say much about them as games.

THIS IS WHY THEY AREN”T SELLING! FINALLY GAMERS ARE STARTING TO VOTE WITH THEIR WALLETS THE RIGHT WAY!

Make a good game, and people will buy it, and tell other people about it…

make a crappy game, or a meh game, and people wont care enough to tell others to go out and buy it!

Word of mouth, still the best form of advertisement there is!

#15 1 year ago
  16. lexph3re

Well regardless of sales, I enjoyed GoWA. Personally, I think it was well timed and targeted more towards newcomers to the series. I liked the fact the game was humbling in it’s series without making Kratos better then his final image that we had seen.

It actually was a game that made me want to play more of the series again.

As for Gears of War judgement, I never really cared for the series but I don’t think fleshing a story out more is ever a negative. It just might be Gears of Wars execution might have been more for existing fans.

#16 1 year ago
  17. lexph3re

@15 isn’t a prequel suppose to make you want to play more of the other games? Or to (if you haven’t done so already) Buy the ones in the series to know more.

It’s kind of pointless if a prequel makes you feel like it’s successors are garbage. Ruins the immersion of the characters and environment.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Hellhound30x

@#17… This whole time I thought a game was supposed to keep you engaged, and not make you want to turn it off, and play the older versions….
    must be a new thing for the gaming industry.

#18 1 year ago
  19. lexph3re

Your taking it completely wrong buddy. It isn’t bad to make you want to play more games old or soon to come. Ascension was far from a bad game, and as for what people had said about it’s direction it had way to much controversy attached to it.

Adam Sessler caused a shit storm over a trophy. But, in it’s entirety (playing the game on hard first play through) It was a truely enjoyable game. I didn’t feel over powered and I felt like I had to think while playing with Kratos for once.

But, in the end the overall thirst it gave me was to continue the story. Hence you play it again in chronological order. For some people it would be simply to buy the GoW pack with all 5 games in it so they can play more.

How is that a bad thing? If I had time with Judgement it probably does the same thing. Makes you say ” Hey, I want to go through this story again.”

#19 1 year ago
  20. Clupula

I still haven’t picked up Ascension. Someone said they were going to get it for me as a late birthday gift. I figure whenever they get around to doing that, I’ll pick it up.

It just wasn’t what I wanted from a God of War title. A less psychotic Kratos? A prequel? No new pantheon of gods? Not what I wanted.

#20 1 year ago