Flashback remake headed to PC, console networks

Thursday, 11th April 2013 09:19 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Vector Cell’s HD remake of classic 1992 platform adventure Flashback is not only real, it’s headed to PC and consoles this year.

At the Ubisoft Autumn Digital days event in Sydney today, the publisher showed off a playable build of the game. Apart from some minor concessions to the march of time – more forgiving analog controls, and tutorial prompts – the basic premise remains largely unchanged from the 2D platformer of yesteryear.

The 3D model of Conrad looks slightly more European than his precursor but in certain lights could pass for a slightly darker Nathan Drake.

It’s the first time we’ve seen or heard anything of the game since it was outed by a French report in January.

OPM had a trailer showing off the HD remake; check it out below.

1. OmegaSlayer

Cool but it will be what…€ 9,99.
    Those downloadable games are too pricey and that’s why they don’t sell.
    I’m not going to spend more than € 7,99 for a digital game, no way in hell.
    That’s why stuff on Apple store sell much more, because prices are reasonable.

2. khemphoud

@#1 I don’t know but you sound like someone who never played Flashback in his life … and you’re comparing it’s pricing (which is not yet defined) to crappy iOS’ shovelware prices.

3. elronathon

Even if it were 9.99, in the UK that would still only buy you a few fleeting drinks on a night out or a take-out pizza.

Why people have such a disconnect in value between happily spending cash on such frivolous things but not on a real technical, artistic and engaging product such as a game? I have no idea.

4. redwood

@1.. 9.99 for a great game is the right price.. and those 1$ games on iOS are doing more bad than good to the industry.

5. naffgeek

@1 developers must love people like you. Thinking that months and months if not years of work isn’t worth the price of a nandos!!

Go play with your phone.

6. Gheritt White

I would gladly pay £30 for Flashback Redux – this game is balls-out fucking amazing.

Also, wasn’t Conrad *always* European looking? http://images.wikia.com/vsrecommendedgames/images/0/0c/Flashback.jpg

7. SplatteredHouse

When I saw they remade Another World, I was really hoping Flashback might receive a similar tactic, and now it’s happening. Joy!

8. polygem

this is really cool!

i am having a flashback.

9. TheWulf

@1: Oh, shush. Niche titles need to sell more, so a higher price is acceptable. To be honest, I’d happily pay a solid forty quid for this, whereas the latest Assassin’s Creed would barely manage to have me part with a couple of pounds.

@6: Yes, he was! I found that statement in the article amusing and mildly baffling too.

Anyway, this is very, very cool. I am completely on board with this. And they didn’t reduce the frickin’ colour! That’s my nightmare scenario really with reboots, is that they’re going to reimagine it in grey and brown. This was my issue with their Beyond Good & Evil 2 teaser. It looked AWFUL compared to the original game.

This puts Ubisoft back on my map, at least. It’s nice to see them making something that has SOME semblance of visual character. Rather than the grey-paste games they usually tend to make.

10. YoungZer0

What does a “european” look like?

11. viralshag

Awesome. I will definitely be getting this game.

@1, The difference of €2 does seem a little petty…

12. TheWulf

Let me make a case here for what I’m talking about.

Beyond Good & Evil intro – A game from a time when games were so colourful and so beautiful.

Beyond Good & Evil 2 teaser – By comparison, this is so washed out and characterless.

So they went from something akin to Ratchet & Clank to… well, that. And frankly, the teaser is high in fidelity, but it looks absolutely awful. It seems like it’s from the paste vat of contemporary games that all seem to be spawned from, these days. Ugly as hell. Fidelity, but no style.

Contemporary mainstream games remind me of what happens if you overwash an already dull t-shirt with cheap cleaning stuffs.

Now compare and contrast:

Flashback as it originally was and Flashback in the trailer above.

This is where they’ve done something right. It’s retained a lot of the colour and style of the original, and the art actually appears to be pretty great too.

It’s sad that this kind of thing only exists for niche markets any more.

13. TheWulf

No need to call racism on something the medium already does. It’s just the representation of European characters versus American ones, by their respective regions. European characters tend to be less buff and rugged. See: George Stobbart versus Nathan Drake.

Usually, if a character looks European, it means they usually have a fashion sense and aren’t a wall of solid muscle. It’s just how each region depicts their characters.

14. YoungZer0

@13: I never said anything about racism, that would be extremely ridiculous. ‘European’ is not even a race. I was just curious. I think with the beard, he looks like a typical male model, but apart from that too much like Nathan Drake.

It’s the fucking haircut. I hate that haircut.

btw. Stobbart is american.

15. Vice

Oh yes… Oh yes I DO remember. One of the most awesome cinematic-like games of early era. I’m really happy they remaking it.