NUJ panel event dated, asks ‘Can videogame journalists still make money?’

Monday, 8th April 2013 12:49 GMT By Dave Cook

The National Union of Journalists has announced a panel event on April 18 in London that will see members of the UK gaming press come together to discuss growing competition and high turnover in the game writing circuit. The event will give insight into making money as a paid writer and other topics.

In a note sent to VG247 this morning, the NUJ revealed that the ‘Game Over?’ event will take place at the Innovation Warehouse in London on Thursday, April 18 from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM. Tickets are on sale now for £5 over at the official site.

The event schedule and speakers are as follows:

How to make money as a writer in video games
Will Porter – ex PC Zone, now co-running Hookshot and more.
Dan Griliopoulos – ex PR turned full time freelance.
Lewis Denby – Operations Manager at Beefjack.
Sinan Kubba – UK Editor at Joystiq.

The history of video games journalism
Steve Boxer – The Guardian

Writing the stories for games
Rhianna Pratchett – Freelance games writer, Tomb Raider reboot
Ed Stern – in-house game writer with Splash Damage.
Andy Walsh – Game writer, Prince of Persia and many others.

A very short introducton to the NUJ
Donnacha DeLong – New Media and Independent Broadcasters branch of NUJ

What do you think about the issue of sites or magazines closing, writers working for little or no pay and growing competition from blogs and other channels in the games press? Let us know below.

1. Wilczeek

Will there be a stream of this panel?

#1 1 year ago
  2. Andytizer

Thanks this is really interested, I’ve booked my ticket. I freelance for some websites and I’ve always wondered if I could do it full time or whether the economy and market will be working against me..

#2 1 year ago
  3. viralshag

No offence but as much as I like VG247, I don’t lose much sleep over internet-site writers not earning a ton of money.

Like you said, you have so much competition from non-paid sites and bloggers who I’m sure, if they had enough time in between their other full time work or whatever, would do just as good a job.

And it’s nothing VG247 do specifically for me to have such a cold thought on the matter but most online publications seem lazily edited and often feel like it’s just regurgitating news from elsewhere.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Djoenz

Journalists have too much competition worldwide. I prefer a legit newssite, but not IGN etc. Google is free.

Ive seen several dutch gameshows disappear but only one remains its called GameKings. It seems they are heavily sponsored by the big brands.

A online buddy told me that IGN was crooked and paid to rate in favours. I want my game news/reviews neutral please. Gamekings does tht. VG247 does that.

In other words you guys need money? Publish a magazine and I will definitely buy it. Im not sure if you guys have sponsors etc.

You are the guys promoting games so you deserve the money imo.

#4 1 year ago
  5. ShakaCarnage

Would have been good to get someone on the panel that works on both games and other stuff – so you could see the difference. It’s huge.

Also, the short answer is, you need to work for longer, later, and harder to earn as much as you would in most mainstream journalism jobs to earn the same money.

£40 per page, versus £250 per thousand words (which hasn’t gone up in years). Games journalism is the poor relation.

#5 1 year ago
  6. donnachadelong

@Wilczeek – There won’t be a live stream, but we hope to video the talk and will bang it up somewhere afterwards.

@ShakaCarnage – I’ll be there to talk about the NUJ and I’m not a games journalist, so if people have questions about different types of journalism, I can answer. There will also be a number of other NUJ activists there who work in various fields, so they can also contribute.

#6 1 year ago