Defiance now available for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360

Tuesday, 2nd April 2013 15:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Trion has announced that Defiance has gone live for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 and will expand further come April 15 when the open-world shooter’s TV series counterpart debuts.

“We’re incredibly proud that after five years of development, we are bringing this ambitious project to life,” said Nathan Richardsson, VP of development for Trion and executive producer of Defiance.

“The game launch is just the beginning of a truly unique entertainment experience and, in a couple weeks’ time, you’ll be able to tune into Syfy to see the story unfold, the characters develop, and realize transmedia entertainment unlike ever before.”

Digital copies of Defiance can be purchased online here and both digital and physical copies of the game are available at major video game retailers.

Standard Editions start at $59.99. Premium bundles, including the digital Deluxe Edition for PC and physical Collector’s Edition for console and PC, are available for $99.99. A limited run Ultimate Edition is also available for console and PC for $149.99, and includes a season pass, all Standard and Collector’s editions items and an exclusive Hellbug figurine.

A launch trailer is below courtesy of God is a Geek along with some screens.

1. OlderGamer

Season passes need to die.

When I played the beta on PC I liked the game. But wasn’t blown away by it. I think I will pass. Anyone else have thoughts?

#1 1 year ago
  2. viralshag

Already bought it all, Deluxe edition and Season pass. At this point I’m pretty much willing to support Trion blindly just because they are trying to do something new with the crossover of games and other media, in this case the show.

I see no reason in this day and age of technology why we can’t have content that properly crosses over from one form of entertainment to the other. Just like the Avengers with multiple movie franchises building to major combined movies as well as a TV show sharing the same universe.

This is all something I’m willing to open my wallet for if it means I will see more of it.

With regards to the game, I liked the beta and I’m happy I can kick back and play this with a pad. I’m all for more couch MMOs.

#2 1 year ago
  3. OlderGamer

I like Trion, no doubt. It will be interesting to see what reception this game gets on the consoles. I hope it does well.

#3 1 year ago
  4. YoungZer0

Is the redhead supposed to look like an avatar-reject?

#4 1 year ago
  5. viralshag

@4, Come on brahtroll, try harder bla bla or some such… She’s Irathient!!

I totally had to copy paste the species name from Defiance wiki as I actually had no clue.

I actually think they have done alright with their character designs. It’s better if you check out the show as they haven’t gone too mad on the alien design. I guess some people will call that boring, I say it’s subtle. Probably all has to do with makeup and CGI costs…

#5 1 year ago
  6. YoungZer0

@5: Hey, I seriously didn’t know. Could’ve been a design choice. I’ve pretty much ignored all the news about this game.

So there is a series? What’s it about?

#6 1 year ago
  7. CyberMarco

Feels a bit awkward to release an MMO in the end cycle of this gen’s consoles. Maybe the PS360 will last longer than the PS2/Xbox thanks to the online features provided.

On topic, is this game going to have a story/plot with PvE elements or mainly focused on PvP?

#7 1 year ago
  8. viralshag

@6, No idea if I’m honest. There is a TV show and it’s launching on the SyFy channel this month (the 15th maybe?), apparently certain things that happen in the game have an impact on the show but I have no idea how that would play out.

It’s got a decent cast and some good off-set people working on the show too like David J. Peterson who created the Dothraki language for GoT doing the alien language and some guy who I think worked on BSG but I can’t remember his name.

@7, From what I saw in the beta (which wasn’t much as I knew I would buy it) is there is a storyline and there is a lot of PVE. The world events I saw were also PVE, a bit GW2-ish.

#8 1 year ago
  9. YoungZer0

@8: Hm, guess I’ll check out the first episode to see what’s up. Art-Direction seems to be very much all over the place.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Djoenz

End cycle of this current gen? Not for me. Not for a long time. As a ps3 player Im sure the platform will still be supported even after ps4 releases.

#10 1 year ago
  11. OlderGamer

Dare I say it, but I think a lot of people will do like DJ here and keep suporting their old systems.

#11 1 year ago
  12. monkeygourmet

How did that turn out for you and Mechwarrior on Xbox 1? ;)

#12 1 year ago
  13. OlderGamer

Well and that is the potential problem MG.

But I have to wonder if this time around things will be different. The PS360 markets are very large and active. Pubs might be upset if support by Sony/MS was suddenly pulled. Plus like DJ pointed out, PS3 should be supported for a few more years to come at least. PS2 was well supported after PS3 launched.

I think last gen MS was in a rush to change the picture. I think they used Xbox one as a stepping stone and where more then happy to close that chapter and put it behind them.

Time will tell I guess.

But even if we look at stuff like Blizzards Diablo III, we can see it is headed for both PS3 and PS4. MS does make me wonder tho.

#13 1 year ago
  14. CyberMarco

@10 I’m on the same boat. I just got my PS3 on Sept of 2012. Have a huge list of games to play, not to mention my back log on PC. I wont get a PS4 right away, not until 3-4 years have passed, maybe a redesign too.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Djoenz

I got my first ps3 2010 maybe not sure lol. Let me tell you Im ashamed I wasted too much time on COD titles. I have a major back log on ps3.

I already played some of the Sony exclusives but not all. Might start with GOW,Resistance and Killzone but currently Im just sticking to multiplatform titles until Last Of Us,Versus,The Last Guardian and Beyond Two Souls.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Puggy

@5 and 8:

Well the story of the show, as I know it is about like that, possible spoilers obviously…

Some distant solar System. There are several races living there, combined called the Votan. they realize their world is dying and try to find a way to prevent/survive it. One race comes up with an idea of just resettling to another planet.
    They build Arks to cross the Distance, put some people in (depending on race they put the smartest, the strongest, the cutest and so on in) and send them on their journey.
    Arriving on the planet, they have to find out that it has by now developed sentient live (Earth).
    First contacts are established and after some discussions they get part of Brazil. However problems grow, as you can expect. Humans feeling threatened by Voltans, losing jobs, new technologies and all that. At some point a Voltan politician is killed by a human radical group during an Interview, sparking some kind of war (Pale wars?). during that war something happens to the Arks, they break up and parts of them rain down on earth (=Arkfalls).
    Among raining down debris are Terreforming devices that activate and turn Earth in a somewhat less habitable place (one wonders why, since voltans seem to need the same conditions as humans).
    Terraforming leads to strange new creatures, rogue AI, Mutants and the like.

At some point, Humans and voltans are still more or less at war a group of Soldiers on both sides ignore orders and unite to save the lives of civilians, which then was known as War of Defiance. And that is where the show starts. With the main character looking for some kind of “key” to restore the world to its old glory.

Anyway, that is what I have gathered so far. I am not really too knowledgeable about the lore though.

#16 1 year ago