Dishonored originally set in medieval Japan

Thursday, 28th March 2013 14:31 GMT By Dave Cook

Dishonored was originally set in medieval Japan, developer Arkane Studios has revealed.

Speaking at a GDC panel – as reported by PCGamesN – Arkane devs Harvey Smith and Raphael Colantonio explained that the setting was scrapped because they didn’t know Japanese culture well enough. The team chose to focus on 1660s London and the Great Plague instead, and lo, Dunwall was born.

It sounded like it was a fascinating panel discussion, check it out the site’s full run-down of what was said here.

1. Moonwalker1982

Shiiiit!!! Please do this for the sequel!

2. TheWulf

That… would have been far more interesting than the pale imitation of a wannabe-Thief that it turned out to be. Why did they not do that?

3. KineticCalvaria

Actually really glad they didn’t, love the setting of Dunwall, although like @1 I wouldn’t mind it for a sequel.

4. Ali

Glad they scrapped that.Not a fan of Japan/Japanese culture.

5. Djoenz

Medieval Japan with Samurais? I would have bought the game then.

6. zinc

I’d prefer China or Singapore,during the industrial revolution.

Samurai’s and whatnot are done to death.

7. TheWulf

It’s a little sad that people think that the potential of Japan as a setting amounts to nothing more than samurai and ninjas. Oh cultural mainstream, what have you wrought?

There’s a lot to be done with Japan, yet, if you ask me. I think many other efforts have cheesed it up too much. China is overdone by comparison, it’s incredibly common. Singapore? Thaaaat would also be interesting.

It’s also sad that we have people here who fetishise Western culture and are xenophobic about Asian cultures. I can but shake my head at that. Though I guess it does tie into the culturally-stunted view of gamers, as a whole.

8. Ali

@6 Yup,China is such an interesting setting. Loved most of the games that have some of the Chinese stuff in them.

9. nklh4x0r

You utter shits, that could have been awesome

10. GwynbleiddiuM

How it went from feudal japan to Steampunked Victorian England is beyond me.

11. polygem

INDIA

12. Eddie Rodrigues

@9 Not only that, the game would feel more original IMHO

13. YoungZer0

@2: Maybe you should replay those games, because there isn’t really that much to compare.

Anyway, that would’ve been interesting. But I love the game the way it is. Very cool setting and mythology. I don’t think we would’ve gotten characters like the outsider if the setting would’ve been Japan.