BioShock Infinite: Levine “first guy” to back aborted multiplayer mode

Wednesday, 20th March 2013 23:35 GMT By Brenna Hillier

BioShock Infinite does not have a multiplayer mode of any kind, but Irrational games boss Ken Levine said he championed the idea initially.

Speaking to Destructoid, Levine discussed Irrational’s much-discussed experimentation with multiplayer for the anticipated sequel

“I was the first guy who said, ‘Look, let’s try [multiplayer]‘ but it was tough, because it had to be something unique to us,” he said.

“The first game we made that didn’t have multiplayer was BioShock, and it was by far our most successful game. And so, I think the last thing we wanna do is throw this thing in the box just so we can put a bullet point.”

Irrational eventually stopped experimenting with the idea rather than pull resources off the single-player side of things – something gamers reacted to very positively, despite the success of BioShock 2′s multiplayer, due to rumours multiplayer development had caused a delay.

“People, especially I think with the BioShock games, they have this sort of emotional connection to things. I think that’s where you see some of the various scandals and outrages because people feel an attachment to it. And if you don’t respect that attachment, you reap the whirlwind,” Levine said of resulting drama.

Hit the link above to see Levine’s comments in the context of a longer video interview. BioShock Infinite comes out on March 26, which somehow feels a very long way off, on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

1. Strange Sultan

Singleplayer > Multiplayer

#1 1 year ago
  2. mkotechno

Bioshock247

#2 1 year ago
  3. ActionGameKing

This game is so single player oriented that I don’t see how multiplayer could make sense. Who would you actually play as in a multiplayer free-for-all match? It’s just out of context.

But I do realise that anything is possible. Somehow God of War made multiplayer work great. But that’s a rare miracle, Sony was lucky.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Paranormal Pett

@3 I completely agree with you, it is a single player game, but, there could have been a way of shoe horning MP in, by setting the the scene by saying it takes place before the single player game and have the Founders take on the Vox Populi…. I’m glad they haven’t though.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DanTheGuitarMan15

Im glad they didn’t throw it in there. It just takes the expenses and resources they had to use on the single player. So its like saying, would you like a great single player, or an ok single player and an ok multiplayer. I figure if they had the money to do it of course, its likely they would do a team deathmatch in the form of founders vs vox populi and as ken levine said, he would want some aspect of it to be specific to bioshock infinite and not any other shooter so some creative factor would have to come in to play so the community dosent just see it as another shooter we dont need

#5 1 year ago
  6. YoungZer0

@3: There are two factions in the game, so there is your multiplayer. Give it a big open space, with a lot of rails you can use. Add a leveling system, with killstreaks that allow you to summon turrets through those warp holes and ultimately a Zeppelin or some shit and you got yourself a run-of-the-mill multiplayer.

It could’ve been done easily, but I think a multiplayer for this type of game is a waste of precious time.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Max Payne

@6 But I think some kind of coop could work maybe horde mode ? And after each wave you would get money to buy health /mana , plasmids, ,weapons ,upgrades…

#7 1 year ago
  8. zinc

Yeah, who really wants a steampunk deathmatch, with power-ups, unique environment and airships?

Screw that, give me Call of Battlefield Recon Strike 16!

#8 1 year ago