Dead Island: Riptide skipping Wii U due to current engine refinements

Saturday, 16th March 2013 19:21 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Dead Island: Riptide will not be released on Wii U because according to creative producer Alexander Toplansky, Techland would have to rebuild or port the engine.

Speaking in an interview with Digital Spy (via Polygon), Toplansky said while Wii U development hasn’t been “categorically” ruled out in the future, the team wanted to instead refine the current engine for Riptide before tackling a new console.

“One of the opportunities we had for Riptide was to continue the development of the engine, and really improve it and make a lot of refinements,” he said. “The things that are required to bring something to a new platform, you need to either really get to be integrating it deep into the engine, or you’ve got to [do] a port.

“Neither one of those was a satisfactory outcome for us, so we decided to do what we got platform-wise and just make sure that we can deliver the best experience we can.”

Dead Island: Riptide releases April 23 in North American and on April 26 in Europe for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. Max Payne

I think its getting funny how many developers are getting exucuses for not doing Wii U :D

2. Phoenixblight

Well from what I heard the WiiU is not as easy to develop for as the PS3 and Xbox are(now) so by the time devs figure out how to develop for the WiiU next gen will be out. So developers aren’t bothering with it.

3. Lengendaryboss

Poor Nintendo :(

4. OrbitMonkey

Low sales of the hardware & third party devs giving it a miss? Squeaky bum time for the execs at Nintendo surely?

5. The_Red

I don’t think developing for Wii U is that hard. The problem is, even the easiest ports cost money and the small installed base of Wii U is not enough to justify the cost of porting, regardless of it being easy or hard to do.

6. Phoenixblight

I have a couple of friends that work for indie companies that are making games for the WiiU at least for the digital store and they have said it is like driving a vehicle clearly not made for people to actually drive in it. I am not trying to beat on Nintendo every console has a learning curve but Nintendo really should have looked into making it easier for devs especially so close to next gen. I am sure that the low hardware sales isn’t exactly helping either to persuade 3rd party devs.

7. The_Red

I see. In that case, the cost of porting is probably much higher than most publishers are comfortable with. Still, PS3 was also difficult to develop for. Wii U could eventually earn the full support of publishers for multiplats… it could also get ignored by them like Wii (Though without Wii Sports / Fit craze).

8. Phoenixblight

Ps3 is not that hard to develop for as it was when it first launch most devs have that down by now.

9. Dragon246

I really wonder what will happen when next-gen starts…

@Legend,
    You know, I said something similar to what you are saying, on the lines of poor ninty getting no support in an earlier article, and you said I was being too defensive.

@Red,
    I agree with you. Its cost issue. 3rd party games just aren’t selling on wiiu, no matter how good they are.

10. Lengendaryboss

@9 There is a difference. You were defending Sony extremely and saying unfortunate facts relating to Nintendo, I am defending no one, i just feel for sorry for Nintendo losing title after title, which doesn’t make me seem defensive/biased, it makes me seem sympathetic to their situation.

11. Dragon246

@10,
    I wonder how you got the sense of defending anything. Facts are facts. The guy there said (alongwith others) completely wrong things with Japanese market, and I only corrected them.
    And those facts weren’t developed by me, you know. Those were true cold facts.
    And that guy was like that even before. He got personal when I just mentioned WiiU once, only mentioning it didnt had great library at launch. That is too much, don’t you think?

12. Lengendaryboss

@11 Its how it seemed from my perspective. Yeah i suppose that argument wasn’t truly based on facts and its only natural someone provide the truth.

13. Dragon246

@12,
    Its even more funny how they avoid Japanese sales charts now :D
    Some of them even left after making grandiose claims of WiiU destroying competition.
    That guy trolls on GT sales page showing MK sales. That was pathetic.

14. Lengendaryboss

@13 Probably want to avoid the shame on a weekly basis :)

15. OrbitMonkey

@13,14, Here’s some lotion for your fanboy love-in.

“yeah, WiiU going down!” fap fap fap “Japan belongs to Sony!” fap fap fap “The vita WILL beat the 3DS!!”

Splurt!!

16. Dragon246

@15,
    Oh, you again?

17. Lengendaryboss

@15 The PS Vita will never beat 3DS in terms of sales, Japan belongs to both Nintendo And Sony and Sure i am Sony fanboy (I Don’t defend them if i don’t agree with them) but to an extent i am also a Nintendo fanboy, best of both worlds. Did you think of that Gay scenario by youself or are you speaking from experience.

18. Dragon246

“The PS Vita will never beat 3DS in terms of sales”
    Completely agree.
    “Japan belongs to both Nintendo And Sony”
    Also completely true. 360 is dead there.

19. Just-Joe

@9 The only third party that I can think of that’s selling well is ZombiU and that’s because it’s the only game that wasn’t released already on other consoles week before release. Do you really think Wii U owners wants a gimped version of Black Ops with not way to get DLC or Mass Effect 3 when Nintendo fans didn’t get the other 2? That’s why a lot of these third party game don’t sell, they’re lazy ports.

20. OrbitMonkey

@17, 18, Eeeeew, I feel like a Dr Frankenstein matchmaker :-S

21. Dragon246

@19,
    Is it really selling well?
    And ninty games are over a million. No wonder Ubi isn’t happy with sales.

22. Lengendaryboss

@20 Good grief give it rest and take your “Frankstein Matchmatcher” elsewhere or go find your doctor husband to pour lotion over :)

23. Clupula

Well, if you mean in total sales, no, the Vita probably won’t beat the 3DS, but if you mean just won’t ever, even for a brief period of time, the Vita actually did beat the 3DS this week for the first time ever.

24. melonbuster1

Nintendo needs games released on the Wiiu only not ports! ! Why spend $300 plus the $60.00 to get a game for a system you already have. Just spend $60.00. That’s the problem right there! !. They need Nintendo games and fast