Dead Space 4 cancellation rumour turns ugly following Moore rebuttal

Thursday, 7th March 2013 08:55 GMT By Staff

Dead Space 4 has not been canned, according to EA. Earlier today, rumored surrounding the future of the series were questioned after a source of VideoGamer’s said sales of Dead Space 3 were poor, causing the firm to pull the plug on Visceral Games’ franchise.

Update 2

The plot thickened yesterday as EA’s Peter Moore took to Games Industry to deny Videogamer’s original story, in which an anonymous source told them that Dead Space 4 had been canned.

Moore told the site, “Standard, shoddy website journalism recipe, born out of a desperate need to increase click-thru rates to support advertising revenue. Fabricate a story using an ‘unnamed source,’ post it first thing in the morning, add the letters ‘EA’ to the story (oh, and link it to micro-transactions – always a fan favourite) and then stand back and enjoy the vitriol which you turn into revenue. Rinse and repeat.

“My comments were fairly and squarely aimed at Videogamer. My issue is not the rejection of community feedback (we get that in bucketloads all day long and we learn from it in real time), rather it was the fabrication of a story in order to generate controversy and ultimately readership.”

Videogamer stated that it originally contacted EA on Monday in an attempt to verify its source’s claims, however the site was told by a PR rep to wait until Tuesday, as the official line was yet to come from its US branch.

The site gave EA a right to reply for many hours to clarify or deny the story, but it eventually received a “does not comment on rumour and speculation” boilerplate, which is standard when publishers want to dodge questions.

With EA’s response in the bag, the site ran with the story, sparking Moore’s rebuttal above, and a torrent of denial Tweets from EA and Visceral staff. Videogamer then decided to run the following statement to clarify the issue.

“VideoGamer.com would never publish information from a source whose identity could not be verified, or that we do not believe to be accurate. We carried out internal checks to verify the validity of the comments made by our source – and while we have a duty of care to protect their identity – we stand by the comments made in the original story.

“We find it perplexing as to why EA changed its stance on its decision not to comment on rumours and speculation, especially given the opportunities that the publisher had to clarify the situation before and after VideoGamer.com published the story. We firmly deny any accusations of fabrication on our part.”

Eurogamer reports that both Gamasutra and Gamespot received statements from EA after the incident to say that the Dead Space 4 rumour was untrue. As the site correctly asks, if these statements were sent out to openly deny the rumour, then why didn’t EA deny it to Videogamer in the first place, before it ran the story?

When Videogamer enquired as to who had written the statement sent to Gamespot and Gamasutra, they replied that EA’s Corporate Comms team has drafted the note.

Update
According to a tweet from Gamasutra, the rumor that the Dead Space franchise has been canceled is “patently false.”

Here’s the tweet in full:

“Rumors about poor Dead Space 3 sales and an unannounced Dead Space 4 being cancelled are are “patently false,” EA tells us. Spread the word!”

Original story

Speaking with Videogamer, a supposed source close to the matter has stated that Dead Space 4 was in pre-production at Visceral, but was shuttered following weak sales of its predecessor. Before it was axed, a team at Visceral Montreal was said to have been creating prototypes and plot concepts for the game.

The blow came as Dead Space 3 allegedly failed to hit its proposed sales target, and saw EA executives meeting with Visceral Montreal to tell them the production had been terminated.

1. mkotechno

This happends when you destroy an IP with a generic title to rise sales, more money today but no money tomorrow because you fucked up your brand.

Take note Ubisoft.

2. NooB GobliN

I’d rather like they pulled the plug on Medal of Honor and start fresh with Dead Space.

3. Mike W

Fucking EA, keep making decisions like these and you’re going to end up like THQ.

In any case, Dead Space 3 wasn’t that bad of game (it’s actually real good) but that co-op turned a lot potential buyers away.

This shows you not to fuck with your fanbase.

4. Ali

Hummmm… EA interfered in DS3 direction affecting its quality and sale. Granted, DS2 wasnt a big seller, but the series had a great reputation.

It ain’t too late now, the series is still considered great EA.. You have thrown more money on MoH which wasn’t any good.

5. loveaya

EA is the worst publisher ever in the world

6. Telepathic.Geometry

Oh my…

7. XmaimaiX

I really hope this is a wake up call for EA.

And I don’t mean the microtransactions. I mean watering down a great franchise just to get the dumb crowd to buy it, who isn’t interested in this and alienating the fan base at the same time.

I hope for Visceral that Army of Two sells. I don’t wanna see them get closed down. I just think EA should let them make other games instead of genereic Shooter game 11.7B-8. Didn’t they see that’s how they killed MoH?

8. friendlydave

This is exhausting, you know. We are never going to get another Dead Space game, like ever.

9. karma

If true they can blame microtransactions, preorder bonuses, dumbing down and shoving unnecessary crap like multiplayer / coop into their game for that. To all game makers out there, FFS, quit sabotaging your games and listen to the gamers. We are voting with our wallets here!

10. Faceless

@7 It will be a wake up call in the sense that they will decide people have had enough of Dead Space. Either that or decide there is no demand for survival horror at this time. EA are very selective in what kind of wake up calls they get.

11. heroes159

@ 7 MOH is a good game. People just looked at it like COD or BF3. Also there are lots of other problems happened in Development. That why MOH Warfighter failed. Also EA didnt pull the plug on MOH completely. They just said that they are taking some time off from the Franchise

Dead Space 3 is a really good game. This is really Sad to see. if this low sales thing continues we are gonna see lots of Franchises gets killed & lots of studios gets shutdown soon.

@9 Yeah yeah everyone can vote with their wallets & we’ll see the death of lots of AAA studios soon. after that we can all start playing indie games. Good luck with that

12. OmegaSlayer

Devs should understand that the attempt of getting new audience at the expense of the fanbase does not pay off.
    Call Of Duty is more of the same AND keeps selling

DeadSpace and ResidentEvil added an unneded co-op, went gung-ho style and “bombed”
    DmC rebooted the character because it was “silly” and in 7 weeks it sold less than Raiden with an even more silly looking character (cyborg in stilettos LOL) in 2 weeks.

Devs must add content and features, not change them.
    Change is for new IPs.

13. Mike W

I don’t think the last Army of Two games did that well either. So you probably can kiss that franchise goodbye. So this means we’re going to see ‘Battlefield 4, 5, 6…..’ and ‘Madden Forever’.

The game industry is going down a path that’s it’s not going to be able to recover from. :(

14. Arkorvo

First 2 were great, then they go and make this shit! It wasn’t even a good action game even after far removing it from it’s horror routes. Adding microtransactions were just the nails in the coffin.

God EA, just die!

15. The_Red

Well, I avoided DS3 because of all stupid generic shooter crap they put in it but I’m pretty sure it was a higher up mandate. So, if the pressure from stupid suits made them ruin the game and its sales, shouldn’t those asshole execs get canned instead of the once promising franchise?

16. EZXPSnazzyPanic

Unfortunately you can make a great game but you can’t force people to buy it.

17. The_Red

Knowing EA, instead of learning from their mistakes, then will announce a free-to-play browser based Dead Space full of micro-transactions and based on cover based 4 player co-op shooting.

18. XmaimaiX

@13: I don’t really care for the series (I found the little demo at gamescom to be fun and together with a friend it will be a nice evening) but for Visceral.

I just hope that EA puts enough trust in them to give them another try with a new IP for the next gen maybe.

19. Arkorvo

EA and new IP’s isn’t something id look forward too. There already reforming existing IP’s into new genres.
    Dead Space was just the start in this whole action games sell more thinking. Guess they’ve been proven wrong!

20. Erthazus

But who cares?

Dead Space 2 was okay and Dead Space 3 was awful

Dead Space 1 was fantastic, but it was long time ago.

21. heroes159

@ 16 Agree with you.

For all of you people boycotting/Whining about EA. You guys succeed at voting with wallets . Now we are gonna see the death of a awesome AAA franchise. If this continues we are gonna see the death Visceral studios soon. after that we all gonna see the death of EA.And with that we all gonna see the death of Mass effect, Sims Battlefield, MOH ,FIFA &lots of other franchises. After that all of you people hate/boycott some other company until it comes to the death too.you all succeeded. Its a sad day for me. Now i want to get drunk.

22. Ali

Yet I would really like to understand the whole ” this needs to sell 5 millions to survive”thingy ? I mean … It doesn’t seem like EA paid a lot for it. I wonder how much was the budget ? But it sure as hell doesn’t seem that huge..

23. The_Red

Well, they said if you hate microtransactions then vote with your wallets… Maybe if EA hadn’t forced microtransactions at the last minute, things would have been different. Dudebro-ing it up certainly didn’t help either.

24. mreko3230

Actually, I don’t know where they could have gone from 3. The story was wrapped up in a way that wouldn’t make any sense for a direct sequel.

I think it’s impossible to point to one thing and say “Microtransactions” caused poor sales or “Co-op caused poor sales”. The reviews for the game were decent and most people who actually played the game liked it. Look at “Aliens: Colonial Marines”- by far one of the worst looking, worst playing, poorly reviewed games of the year- and it has out sold “Dead Space 3″. Let’s not act like the larger gameing community has changed its taste any- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 for PS3 and XBOX360 are still in the Top 10 for sales in February. I heard from forums like these that Metal Gear Revengance was a huge mistake because it went away from the established formula- it was the highest selling game in February, outselling Crysis 3.

There are no simple answers to why certain games succeed and others fail.

25. KrazyKraut

Mh…DS 1 is still one of my fave games. Bought DS2 on day one. The quality there was lower. Micro-trans. and another horror game where you START TO SHOOTING ON HUMAN ENEMIES (Yes, Resident Evil…i talking about u too) killed the purchase for me.

26. Edo

But..but people liked microtransactions and the co-op….yEAh.

27. mreko3230

Dead Space sales have never blown it out of the water. I hope they weren’t shooting for 5 million copies for DS3- the entire series barely sold that many copies. Its actually a fairly niche title. The only reason the 2nd one was ever made was because they found that a ton of people discovered and played the game used. There is just no room for middle-of-the-road selling games anymore. Games cost too much to make.

28. Dark

Good.

29. Max Payne

30. mojo

31. SameeR_Fisher

Hate us or Love us, we choose to boycott a game cause that’s the only way now.

Dead Space doesn’t have an official forum, and even if it did, it is not like EA will listen to the BUYERS, people wanted Dead Space to become more Survival Horror rather than an all out Action Horror like Resident Evil did, it makes sense, but EA isn’t listening to words, they only listen to sales.

I didn’t buy DS3 yet -but will buy it later on in July or something-, DS3 could have been handled better, why couldn’t Visceral go for something more like Resident Evil 2 ?!, 2 SP campaigns that come together to make one hell of a game ?!, people loved RE2 back in the day, but no EA wanted Online to be in, so put Co-Op in, even if Co-Op isn’t forced, it could have been made something different, after all Co-Op =/= Survival Horror, and people are searching for Survival Horror.

Also let’s not forget how EA argued the wanted to appeal to the gamers who can’t handle Horror, WTF ?!, I thought you were supposed to make it even more horrific, old horror fans are already having a hard time getting scared from something, no need to dump it down even more.

Beside I thought EA said that microtansactions sells alot and that all its games will have microtransactions from now on, how is that smart ?!.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Visceral Games, I liked Dante’s Inferno and waiting for the sequel Dante’s Purgatory, I used to like Dead Space alot, but Dead Space 3 wasn’t really appealing, and I am afraid Army of Two The Devil’s Cartel will fail miserably, cause again EA is trying to focus on the whole Mindless Action fans

32. Grey Wolf

What is wrong with people today? R.i.P. Dead Space 4? Hopefully NOT! The third one is a great game and most people, judge about it, haven`t played it until now…

33. mojo

well its pointless to complain about ea dumbing down the game and then buying it nonetheless, effectively telling EA they should release yet another game of that sort.

34. Darth-Bader

I decided to give this a pass because I don’t think micro-transactions belong in full-priced retail games. I voted with my dollar.

35. YoungZer0

Oh shut up, people.

Dead Space 1 sold 2 Mil. copies, Dead Space 2 sold 2 Mil. copies as well. We don’t have a number for Dead Space 3, but considering it’s still in the top 10 of the UK charts, I’d say it’s selling well enough, if not better than the previous games. You forget how many bro’s are out there, waiting to play the game with their bro and who many children finally can play a Dead Space without shitting their pants.

EA simply had unrealistic expectations. 5 Mil. copies? Are you serious? What made them think it would be that successful? Another reason to dislike EA.

“Oh, the series is not making the money we expected? Cancel the fuck out of it!”

I think Dead Space 3 had the best beginning in the series and completely fell apart as soon as you land on the ice planet. I loved the space exploration.

As much as I would love to believe that we impacted the sales in any way, we did not. It’s just EA going nuts. If we actually did impact it, I won’t shed a tear. Sure it sucks that the franchise is gone, but Viseral is still there (For now, bet EA has already some extreme expectations for Army of Two) and we took a stand. It’s just too bad that EA made the wrong decision here.

36. Moonwalker1982

The other stuff the article says. That DS3 almost got canned, lots of cuts in the budget were made. Visceral had to appeal to a wider audience and thus make it feel more like Mass Effect. No special ammo so microtransations could be in…fuck this!!!!!

I understand that Dead Space couldn’t go on forever, but i would have loved to see a next-gen DS. I like the whole space atmopshere, the necromorphs and dismembering thing. Really sad this. I always thought working in the game industry would be like a dream, but this just shows again how harsh it can be. Maybe those 5 million sales was a crazy thing to expect EA?

37. xBASSxMONSTAx

Maybe if E.A they hadn’t stuck that micro-transaction bollocks in it then more people would have bought the game!

38. Dave Cook

I think people boycotting the game outright due to the presence of micro-payments have missed the point. That clearly wasn’t Visceral’s decision. it was EA’s, as stated in quotes we saw from them last week.

You could have still bought the game to support Visceral and just not bought any of the micro-DLC to show EA you aren’t interested. It really is that simple.

39. MadFingerz

@35 “The game didn’t sell poorly because of you, it sold poorly because it’s still a horror game and those sell poorly.”

Yup, my thoughts exactly. You just can’t compare its sales to that of games like BF or COD since the FPS genre is way more popular. And you can’t blame them for trying to put more shooty mechanics in DS3. Seems like they really had to try to appeal to more gamers or they couldn’t make DS games anymore.

Now, it’s easy to point fingers at EA and call it a bad, greedy publisher, but it’s a business after all and we don’t know exactly how much revenue they got from the series. Business wise it makes more sense to have their teams working on IPs that target wider audiences. The future will tell if they are shooting themselves in the foot though…Wondering how much this will affect Visceral and their future games.

40. Moonwalker1982

Apparently Visceral Montreal is already closed down? So how much Visceral is left?

41. Eregol

I wonder if Cliffy B would like to continue defending EA now?

42. viralshag

@38, Like most gamers could actually comprehend something as simple as that…

43. Clupula

@38 – For me, there just are too many other games I want to buy that were coming out for me to spend money on one I didn’t. I bought DS2 first day, but all the changes they made to DS3 made me decide that it would be a later purchase. I like Visceral and it’ll be sad if this effects them in a negative manner, but with a limited budget, I’m not going to spend $65 on something I’m not particularly excited for. The microtransactions are actually the thing that bothered me the least, because you don’t have to do them. It was more stuff like the co-op and the human enemies that shoot back at me.

Plus, even the review on here, where it was mentioned that there is no one single chilling moment like the stuff at the nursery in DS2, that made my decision for me. It is moments like that that make me love the series. I want to see more of that! More of an action focus and a definite shift away from horror are what made me decide to wait until a slower month at a lower price.

44. YoungZer0

@38: Personally, I think its whole existence is an insult. EA has announced that it will feature microtransaction in all of their games and it’s that little step they take, that will change everything.

Next model you see will probably make sure that you NEED to use it to advance. EA always finds a way to pervert anything they touch.

Having that said, the microtransaction in DS3 is useless. I had no reason to use it. Half of my playtime I had the best weapons and would never need to change it ever again.

Also I hated the endgame, it was as shitty as in all previous DS games. I started avoiding as many confrontations as possible because the fights started to get REALLY boring.

45. mojo

38:
    no. at some point you have to make a stand.
    And if EA will be microtransactioning the fuck out of all their future games i simply wount buy them anymore unless they change their opinion.
    simple as that.
    Yeah. not exactly what the crowd wanted..
    sorry, but EA fucked this up big time.

and visceral will be closed soon judging buy EAs recent decisions, because army for two will also bomb.

46. tatsujin

dumbshits should have kept it SURVIVAL HORROR not ACTION HORROR …. idiots.

47. viralshag

@44,

“I know some people bought into microtransaction. Those people are not like you and me, they don’t play games on a regular basis, they buy a game once or twice a year, follow only two or three franchises and that’s it. They don’t care about things like that and the’ll buy it.”

So what do you know that actually backs that up?

48. mojo

47: just look at the fifa franchise.
    there are loads of people who more or less only play these games and de MT is huge their from what ive heard. Especialy Ultimate Team and so on.
    A single Player goes for hundreds on ebay.

49. mark_t50

Sorry, but for me they have now pushed it too far, I purchased DS1 & DS2 and didn’t bother with DS3 as a direct result of the inclusions of the Micro-transactions, hey, I’m only doing what a certain Mr. Cliffy B said we should do and voting with my wallet.

It sucks that Visceral might be getting caught in the crossfire here, but maybe this will be a wake-up call for development teams to grow a pair and start telling publishers to ‘do one’ when they come up with stupid stuff like ruining retails games with micro-transactions.

All EA games are off limits for me at this point, next up will be SimCity to report piss poor sales is my bet. At least I’m hoping so anyway.

It completely sucks that it has come to this, but like I said, imho EA have pushed this shit totally too far now.

50. YoungZer0

@47: I know those kinds of people. :/ Former Boss was exactly one of those people, too much money to throw away.

51. HauntaVirus

Medal of Honor and now this, Battlefield is next if they don’t pull their heads out.

52. bitsnark

@51 Seems like they’re streamlining themselves ahead of the next console cycle.

As far as Battlefield goes, I don’t think that will be next; EA mandates that a game has to sell over five million units to be viable and Battlefield 3 has long since surpassed that figure.

53. Blade247

Wow. Deadspace 3 was awesome. Medal of Honor blew ass and bad ass at that. BF3 is a GREAT game. Deadspace was great, I can think of 100 games that should be canceled before this. Too bad.

EA does have a knack for fn things up.

54. viralshag

@48, It is but it doesn’t have to be. It’s your choice, I have never purchased the packs myself and I only know one person who has. If you’re good at the game and know how to play the transfers you wouldn’t need to.

@50, I have bought MTs for some games before (ME3, TOR, maybe others) but I game a lot, probably more than I should. And I have a bit of cash to spare.

I don’t get why people find this idea of gamers with money so unbelievable. I’m sure I’m not the only decently paid 20-something that doesn’t mind buying a few extras here and there for the games they like.

55. mojo

54: the thing is its effectivly cheating.
    at least thats how i see it.

i dont care if someone buys a fancy hat in TF2. but paying money to get more damage is cheating. simple as that.

56. viralshag

@55, Well yeah sure but then so are cheat codes. But as long as cheat codes and MTs only impact the SP and non-competitive MP, what’s the problem with that?

I don’t disagree when people say you’re effectively paying for cheat codes which use to be free, that is ture. I just don’t really mind that much. But that’s each to their own.

57. SplatteredHouse

“As well as discussing Dead Space 4′s alleged cancellation, our source also gave us further insight into Dead Space 3′s development, telling us that the game was almost cancelled partway through its development, and saw continuous cuts made to its budget throughout production.

Weapon-specific ammo was allegedly switched for generic ammo late in development, too, as a method for shoehorning in the game’s controversial micro-transactions.

EA also advised Visceral that Dead Space 3 needed to appeal to a wider audience than the series’ previous two titles, our source added, and the studio was reportedly told to focus on action over horror in an effort to make the game feel more like BioWare’s Mass Effect.” – From the Videogamer article. FFS EA. You’re becoming more like a certain Peanuts character every article.

“the game’s first week sales in the UK were down 26.6 per cent on the game’s predecessor Dead Space 2. ” It’s slip-slided away down the chart list since that point.

58. mojo

56: i just find the notion of buying cheats throught the official store disgusting..

59. DSB

So people voted with their wallets. Great.

@54 A lot of people would rather have a full product than a piecemeal one. It may be psychological and petty, but you ignore your customers at your own peril.

Personally I think the industry should spend a lot less time figuring out new nickle and dime schemes, and a lot more time figuring out new games instead. I think that will get them farther.

60. Lengendaryboss

First MOH, now Dead Space whats next.

61. YoungZer0

“Personally I think the industry should spend a lot less time figuring out new nickle and dime schemes, and a lot more time figuring out new games instead.”

Well said. That seems to be the industry’s biggest problem right now.

62. mojo

the industries biggest problem is their paradox expectations.
    they want all games to sell 5mio plus?
    how is that about to happen with only so much people playing games and way too many games coming out? How is EA hoping to sell bucketloads of DeadSpace while they try to hold the gamers in the mp of their other shooter?
    right, not at all. So there needs to be a shift in publishers expectations.

63. Sini

dead space is not a franchise material.

64. OrbitMonkey

Soon to be free on PSN+ :-)

65. Telepathic.Geometry

@Dave: I think you might be over-simplifying there Dave. First of all, the micro-transactions thing is not restricted to buying or not, I think you have to suspect that the design of the game was impacted by it too.

But more importantly, I think people would be justified in not buying it because it was shit, at least it was compared to the original and also (to a lesser extent) to the sequel.

All that said though, if this is all true (and I’m hoping it’s just the rumor mill) it seems like a fucking travesty that some cunt executives in EA will keep their jobs while Visceral in very real danger of getting shut down. If it happens I will be gutted personally…

66. theevilaires

I only played the demo and I loved it. I don’t know why people want this game to be some horror survival. I think the first one was a good attempt, the second one seems better (haven’t finished it yet), but I will be getting the 3rd soon.

67. viralshag

@67, I’ve recently been playing through DS2 and so far I think it’s a much better game than DS1. When I get around to finishing it I will most likely get around to 3 but I have to play EA’s other “failed” game, SimCity, before I do…

68. Stephany Nunneley

Post updated with response from EA. Not true, apparently.

69. SplatteredHouse

The only section of that which reads as if it came directly from the source of the message is “patently false”. So, it is true that they have not announced a Dead Space 4 (in other words, there is no DS4 for that game to have been canned). The idea of Gama advising people to spread the word, also does not sit well. EA should have issued a statement directly to press, if it determinedly wanted to counter what’s been suggested to Videogamer, by “sources familiar with the cancelled project.”

70. ps3fanboy

as a player of the first dead space game and loving it. i feel like all the game after the first have been canned. the 2 & 3 is just crap, i have tried them but never gonna buy and play them through. the games have nothing i loved about the first game. so if they canned the 4 game i dont care…

71. Sylrissa

“While we have not announced sales for Dead Space 3, we are proud of the game and the franchise remains an important IP to EA,” an EA spokesperson told Eurogamer.

Hopefully this means Visceral are going to be just fine.

72. xxJPRACERxx

Just by reading the posts of people bashing DS3 it’s easy to see the majority didn’t even played it…

DS3 is a great game. You can unlock everything by playing, no need for micro-transactions. Also the inclusion of co-op don’t interfere with the SP at all. The control is much better now. There’s more action but not enough to be considered an action game. The audio and gfx are great. The environment too, especially the space part.

Also, #45 (mojo) wrote: “Plus they took everything what was good and unique in Dead Space 1 and ripped it apart to exchange it with generic everything. generic weapons that feels all the same, generic ammo with the sole purpose to supporting microstransaction, generic TPS Gameplay, generic enemies. generic all of it. “So we had unique and cool weapons. lets change them for generic real weapons that all feel the same. So we have this very cool and fresh dismembering gameplay. lets change it for generic full auto shooting. So we have those unique and intimidating enemies. Lets put in more humans.”

Clearly you haven’t played the game. Especially about the weapons. You can design your own variation now. You want a Plasma Cutter with a shotgun that do acid damage? You can! You want a rifle that do electricity damage, you can too! I think this is a great addition to DS3, Isaac is an engineer after all.

DS3 is my favorite game of 2013 so far and it would have been in my top 10 of 2012.

DS1 was awesome for the time but I’m not so sure how I would feel replaying it now. DS2 was good. DS3 is great!

73. YoungZer0

Everybody calm down now. Whoever created the rumor is apparently full of shit.

74. Hellhound30x

LOL! Change the formula. Change the identity of a game, and it loses its appeal. You can’t sell hamburgers to a bunch of people, and then turn around and make it a hot dog, and still try to sell it as though it was a burger… people aren’t going to want the damn hotdog… they want a damn burger. (I’m hungry!) Either way Capcom said the same thing about Resident Evil 6 when it didnt sell well. Stop trying to appeal to Call of duty fans because you’re alienating your market base… btw I loved the first 2 dead space games… hated 3… bleh!

75. xxJPRACERxx

I don’t think DS3 is super different than the others. For me it’s still a burger but with different toppings.

76. heroes159

@ 72. Thanks . you explained it quite nicely. its really sad when people whining about something without even using the product. People shouldn’t bash Dead space 3 without playing it. Being close minded wont accomplish anything. But we cant change people.

77. Edo

@76 But what about people who played it and think it’s a significant step backwards from previous games?Surely some of them exist,or maybe I was imagining those necromorphs that were shooting back at me,or them “go away,this room is for co-op only” doors in my single-player campaign or the one type of ammo for every weapon thing or the clunky cover mechanic or the bullshit love triangle story………….

78. xino

doesn’t matter, i just traded in my DS3 on ps3.
    how can I buy a game brand new and not finding people playing online!?

79. ps3fanboy

DIIIIIIIIIIIIE!!! EA SHiT COMPANY!!!

80. Eddie Rodrigues

I was fine with DS3 until I heard of the micro-transactions. They better pull that crap out if they want to preserve the tiny bit of credibility they have.

@79 “DUUUUUUUUH GAEMZ ARE BED COZ DA COMPANY DAT MAED TEM IS MERCNARYY!”

Grow up kiddo, the industry has changed.

81. Telepathic.Geometry

@Edo: Hear hear, I couldn’t agree more. I think a significant number of the people who have played it have felt betrayed. I guess the people who feel that way – like me – didn’t sign on for a shooter.

82. Vice

tbh I loved Dead Space 3 more than any other game in series. But I think they need to remove co-op and multiplayer and add more actual horror and hard encounters. Weapon upgrading system was very nice, but it really makes life easy.

83. SplatteredHouse

“At 16:39 GMT, we again questioned EA UK where the “patently false” quote had originated from. At 16:40 GMT, EA UK informed us that EA’s US team had not spoken to Gamasutra.

At 20:07 GMT, EA UK informed us that the US had prepared a revised statement, which was being issued to media on request.” Remember that the article was published by Videogamer, UK AM, and they sought clarification from the established sources on EA’s side.

“At the same time, it confirmed that its Corporate Comms team – not US PR – had spoken to Gamasutra.” “We would also like to reiterate that we ran the story in good faith, taking the necessary steps with both EA and our source to ensure that the story was as accurate, fair, and well-represented as possible.

We find it perplexing as to why EA changed its stance on its decision not to comment on rumours and speculation, especially given the opportunities that the publisher had to clarify the situation before and after VideoGamer.com published the story. We firmly deny any accusations of fabrication on our part.” http://www.videogamer.com/news/dead_space_4_videogamer_com_statement.html

The thing I found most perplexing, as an observer as this was taking place, was that at no stage did EA own its “statement” to Gamasutra. Yet, how many people took it as exactly what Gama had tweeted it out to be, without a wider source, or distribution of that particular comment. It struck me as unusual. If they were as determined to challenge, or seek to collapse the integrity of the initial report, why wouldn’t they have issued a comment to all press they have relation with, or even a cross-section based on geography, to maximise spread? What went on, here, that EA were left thoroughly wrong-footed and seeming to fly-swat in the dark…

84. manamana

Wow, now it becomes the click-through story for many sites. In the beginning it was just VideoGamer.

But why isn’t EA denying or confirming anything. They aren’t doing themselfs a favor, because everybody knows: where’s smoke, there’s fire.

85. Mike W

This is getting ugly, Videogamer’s credibility is on the line here. But the million dollar question is? Who’s telling the truth?

86. Hellhound30x

So did E.A. officially confirm Dead Space 4? lol.. I don’t really care the only appeal that Dead Space had for me was it was true survival horror when it first came out. Dead Space 2 is good too don’t get me wrong, but i just hate the direction they are going with Dead Space 3… bleh!

87. mreko3230

As with any story there is probably a bit of truth and a bit of misinformation. Why didn’t EA immediatly respond to Videogamer.com? Well, they did. They just gave the standard “we don’t respond to rumor or speculation”.

Maybe they did’t give a more fleshed out answer because they don’t give a sh** about Videogamer.com. And maybe it was the 1000th email of the day from the 1000th website fishing for information about various EA games. Sometimes, not every email is handled with the same importance.

There probably was a meeting with Visceral concerning poor sales of the game, but maybe that meeting had nothing to do with cancelling DS4, but trying to figure out how to raise sales numbers. Who knows for sure?

88. Mike W

if you played and beat DS 3, you can tell there’s going to be a DS 4.

89. Telepathic.Geometry

No you can’t, but you CAN tell there’s gonna be some DLC.

90. Mike W

Or DLC ;)

91. NocturnalB

I agree with 2 different points here.

Firstly, Peter Moore made a VERY valid point i agree with and it is a very central reason as to why i enjoy VG247. I trust these guys. Nothing pisses me off more than some generic bullshit gaming site fabricating rumors just to get click throughs. This is why i hate and don’t treat rumors like fact. Because it’s a rumor. Personally, Videogamer can go suck a dick, but that’s just me.

Secondly, EA brought it on themselves. They are the worst games publisher/developer in the whole damned world as far as i’m concerned. The first Dead Space was an excellent game and i loved it. I enjoyed 2 and 3 as well…. but nowhere NEAR the same experience i had with the first. Why? Because of exactly what #7 stated. They have gone way too business. They do not give a damn about the game or it’s quality. They care about how much money it can make them. Look at what they did to the NFL Madden games. MoH. Etc.

I’m also not fond of EA’s DRM methods. Then again i’m not fond of DRM. Not because i support piracy, but because DRM punishes the law abiding gamer, and does little to nothing to punish the pirates.

92. heroes159

@ 92 No one likes these DRM methods. But when i looking at EA’s always online DRM, i can say one thing. I maybe the only one in the whole world say this. I actually like EA’s always online DRM. Theres a reason I like that. its working against fucking Pirates. if you look at torrent sites you can see how many people pirate Tomb raider. its really sad to see. But im really happy about one thing.no one still didn’t cracked Simcity. IF this always online DRM works real good, I really don’t mind few server crashes on the launch. Im getting real mad when these fucking pirates steal these beautiful games. Creating a game is not easy. It takes year’s of planning. These people works day & night to bring these games to a quality product. we all know all the other DRM out there get cracked with in fix hours game released. Im sure EA DRMs get better in time.but in the meantime i say we should stand against these pirates. They are the ones who destroying this gaming industry. Not EA.

93. SplatteredHouse

“Im getting real mad when these fucking pirates steal these beautiful games.”

To which, the typical response of publishers has so far been to heavy-handedly bring down restrictions and inconvenience upon the paying players. They’re always going for the path of least resistance, no matter the outcome. Maybe, it’s time that path stood up, and did a whole lot more resisting. http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/06/editorial-simcity-diablo-3-and-a-review-of-customer-service/

94. deathm00n

@93 Yeah? You hate pirates? How about you just think a little about what makes people pirating videogames? Take my case for instance: my main platform is the PS3, ALL my games are bought, because I know I can play them. The problem is: I really want Sim City, but I don’t if my dated computer can run it, because System Requirements, especially the ones from EA are fucked up, and they don’t release a demo. How can I know if I can run the game? What if I buy it and can’t run it? So yeah, I’m waiting for a crack, only to see if the game runs fine in my computer. If it can I buy it. Until there’s a crack or a demo EA sadly will not have my money…

95. DSB

Sounds like someone doesn’t have complete faith in what they’re doing.

At least he confirms that EA know that what they’re doing is controversial.

96. 3rmahg3rd

I found dead space 3 enjoyable along with the second and first. I agree that EA should let Visceral do what they think is right as it should appeal to horror gamers but I do not think it deserves the pet name “call of duty in space.” I support an upcoming Dead Space 4 and so should all true Dead Space fans. Isaac Clark’s story can’t end abruptly like at the end of LOTR fellowship, I think they can nail it on Dead Space 4 if they put in good effort and it would be neat if they brought back some of the suits from Dead Space 2 while keeping the weapon system of Dead Space 3. Customization is a plus. Cheers to all you Dead Space supporters.

97. fearmonkey

I loved the first game, enjoyed the 2nd, and i am now playing through the 3rd. So far its good, but has really lost the scariness of the original.
    Its more a action title, and I hate the events that happen in the game where all of a sudden you have to mash a button or die, that is a really stupid gameplay device. They need to kill that in the next games.

98. Moonwalker1982

I do recall an article last year that stated that EA said Dead Space 3 needed to do something like 5 million sales to succeed or not get in danger or something. Was that article bullshit? Last i checked…DS3 didn’t do 5 million sales by a long shot…