Nvidia and Crystal Dynamics teaming up to fix Tomb Raider for GeForce owners

Wednesday, 6th March 2013 19:14 GMT By Phil Owen

Tomb Raider for PC is one of those games that features a splash screen of the AMD logo when you boot it up, which means it’s heavily optimized for Radeon-powered PCs. In this case, that means GeForce owners are having a rough go of it, but Nvidia are working on it.

“We are aware of major performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings,” said Nvidia’s Andrew Burnes in a comment on the GeForce web site. “Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn’t receive final code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible. In the meantime, we would like to apologize to GeForce users that are not able to have a great experience playing Tomb Raider, as they have come to expect with all of their favorite PC games.”

Tomb Raider is a great-looking game, but it isn’t the resource hog of a Crysis 3 – on my system, which contains a single Radeon HD 6950 1gb, I can play it in with all settings aside from the realistic TressFX hair set to max in 1080p 3D, so you’d hope that anybody running a GTX 660 or better would get solid performance on the higher settings. TressFX hair is a system killer, though.

Any of you have Tomb Raider running on your PC? How does your system handle it?

Thanks, Joystiq

1. OnionPowder

I’m running on 560Ti SLI and AMD FX 8350 and I get a pretty consistent 60FPS. I’m not running on ultra though. Custom settings because some settings kill performance for no real visual gain.

2. Talkar

480 here, no problems ^^
    Getting a Titan pretty soon though :P

3. Gheritt White

““Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn’t receive final code until this past weekend…”

Er, that’s complete and utter bullshit. Just sayin’.

4. Talkar

You know this how?

5. silkvg247

It’s a bit unstable on my card (680), I’ve seen some weird glitches including floating eyeballs of doooom!

6. Sini

fucking baby eaters amd, cut throatin the good guys nvidia who only care about kickass gaming and graphics.

7. OnionPowder

@6 What the hell man

8. nklh4x0r

The should unite and make ATIvidia

9. weedrk

60 fps with no TRESFX and 40 FPS with TRESFX on a 690. Had a lock up and a CTD, however during some explodey moments early in the game.

Edit: The values were from the in game benchmark. Didn’t have Fraps running at the time.

10. Wezzulus

It’s running smooth on my very old GT9600, on highest settings without the hair or 3D. I’m so ready for an upgrade tho.

11. Hunam

I have a GTX 680. If Tesselation is turned on it will crash every 2 minutes (or there about) Also get huge frame rate drops in certain areas. My PC is pretty beasty but it’s obvious that they focused on AMD and barely gave Nvidia a look in. Still, 85% of the time I get 60fps so it’s not too bad.

12. OnionPowder

@11 The issue seems to come with DX11 features.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Red Demon

@8 the would be bad ass if they did, but I am just wondering, could this create any sort of problems. I’m not a computer expert, but if any one knows the problems that it could create, just tell me, I’m curious. Not trying to make anyone mad, usually someone gets angry. BTW I love reading the comments of people arguing, it’s interesting and funny.

#13 1 year ago