EA’s Jorgensen u-turns on micro-payment stance

Wednesday, 6th March 2013 14:59 GMT By Dave Cook

Last week, EA’s financial officer Blake Jorgensen stated that all future titles from the publisher would feature microtransactions, similar to those found in Dead Space 3 and Real Racing 3. However, the exec has stepped forward to clarify the company’s stance, confirming that the statement only applies to mobile games.

Last week, Jorgensen delivered a lecture at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference, in which he said, “We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way; to get to a higher level. And consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business.”

Today, Jorgensen has clarified EA’s stance. Instead of every game featuring micro-payments, he said that the company will deliver the ability to host microtransaction models into every one of its games if developers so desire. However, he added that all of EA’s mobile games would indeed include micro-payments of some kind.

Speaking at the Wedbush Technology Conference in New York City this morning, Jorgensen said, “I made a statement in the conference along the lines of ‘We’ll have micro-transactions in our games’ and the community read that to mean all our games, and that’s really not true.

“All of our mobile games will have micro-transactions in them, because almost all of them are going to a world where they are play for free.”

What do you make of the above? Does the ability to host micro-payments mean all EA games will use them, or do you think monetisation will only appear in some of the publisher’s games? Let us know below.

Thanks Polygon.

1. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

He pissed some people off with the truth. Now he’s bending that truth (even though EA will still be doing it) to sound more acceptable, less demonic.

EA is still Satan’s representation on Earth, backpedalling won’t change that.

And by the way, a ‘u-turn’ is when someone promises to do something different to what they originally said. This isn’t that. The word ‘clarifies’ would serve better.

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

Next it’s gonna be like “We’re possibly gonna be thinking about maybe adding the ability to potentially add microtransactions into all our games, perhaps”.

What a bunch of retards.

#2 1 year ago
  3. manamana

Would be really interesting to know the numbers they got out of Real Racing3 and Dead Space3!

#3 1 year ago
  4. foofly

I’d say “enjoying and embracing” is a bit of a stretch.

#4 1 year ago
  5. ps3fanboy

Blake Jorgensen are backpedalling like crazy now… but it is to late the damage already done, idiot. just look at the dead space3 crap, game totally ruined.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Khan979

I own dead space one and two. Both great games. The one and only reason I did not buy Dead space 3 new, was because I read about it containing micro transactions.

I don’t know if the micro transactions take away from the game or not in this game, but as a protest to including these type of things in games that already cost $60, I will not buy it new.

I may pick it up later for $20 used or possibly rent it, but not new. I am personally tired of being squeezed for every penny, by little things like this. and Yes I realize you don’t have to buy things in game to complete the game.

Don’t get me wrong I am not a tightwad when it comes to gaming. I own a gaming PC, 2 Xbox 360′s (plus another that RROD’d…imagine that), 2 PS3′s and a Wii. And I own well over 200 games, most of which I bought new. Half of which I haven’t played yet….but that’s another story.

It just feels to me that little things are held out of games or games are made more inconvenient, just to get you to spend that little bit of extra cash….that’s bullshit to me.

If EA includes this crap in every game they make, that aren’t FTP iOS games, then it looks like I won’t be purchasing many more EA games.

#6 1 year ago
  7. ps3fanboy

when did it become wrong to be tightwad when it comes to gaming?…

#7 1 year ago
  8. OlderGamer

“And masses of gamers ranting on websites = fan backlash. I am sure that EA takes an interest in that very much.”

OG – http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/27/eas-future-games-will-all-feature-micro-transaction/comment-page-1/#comments

Must be fan consideration at the very least caused him to want to “clerify” and reword. And some people berate others for speaking out. Shame.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Hellhound30x

kinda sounds like backtracking to me… especially after the rumor of Dead space 4 being put on hold, because Dead Space 3 isn’t selling so well…

#9 1 year ago