Wii U price shaved by £50 at ASDA

Monday, 4th March 2013 14:38 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii U premium and standard consoles have been reduced at UK retailer ASDA, which has knocked £50 off the asking price. Will the discount be enough to see you buy one?

MCV reports that ASDA cut the price of the premium black Wii U console to £249.99, including a copy of Nintendo Land. The standard 8GB edition has also been reduced down to £199.99. The site adds that ShopTo has also slashed the 8GB model to under £200.

Wii U software has failed to dent the UK top 20 since the console launched in November, a fact that has cast doubt on the format’s ability to tussle with the PS4 and Xbox 720, which now loom on the horizon.

What’s your view on the matter?

1. Erthazus

That system is not worth £50 in my opinion. Too much for overpriced hardware.

+ Xbox 360 and PS3 has so much to offer compared to last gen effort from Nintendo. It’s not even funny.

for £249.99 you can spend money on: the Last Of Us, Starcraft 2:HOTS, God Of war:Ascension, Bioshock:Infinite, Gears Of War:Judgment even okay games like Crysis 3 or Dead Space 3 and so on that are not coming to WiiU.

but, but they have Nintendoland… Weee!11

#1 1 year ago
  2. SolidGamerSnake

Nintendo screwed up big time with the Wii’s online functionalities and now they are paying the bill for that.

Correct me if I am wrong but, 32GB of which only 50% are accessible are not enough!

I think the system will continue to struggle, until it gets a significant price cut announced by Nintendo

#2 1 year ago
  3. mistermogul

@2 – I think you get about 25Gb of the 32Gb available…

#3 1 year ago
  4. deathm00n

While the 160gb of the most basic PS3 slim I have is always full and i suffer choosing what game I will keep each month. So yeah, HD size is another problem of the console, not just price.

#4 1 year ago
  5. theevilaires

The console just will never be taken seriously as it would have it it launched 2006. You can call the Wii U “the lost generation” basically because thats what it feels like. A console desperately wandering during thick fog not knowing where to go next.

#5 1 year ago
  6. OlderGamer

Um, boys…the WiiU can use an external HDD with upto 2 TB of space. I bought one for 50usd.

The system has many problems, no doubt. But storage space isn’t amoung them.

#6 1 year ago
  7. theevilaires

^ agreed I was wondering what those guys were talking about.

#7 1 year ago
  8. DrDamn

@OG
    Yep storage is not the problem. I got 32GB of storage and not much to put on it bar a few demos. Unique games which use the system is what I want to see. They need to come out of E3 with a good schedule of games which suit the system lined up pre and post launch of the PS4/NextBox.

#8 1 year ago
  9. dreamcastnews

Happy with mine, if nobody buys one? Bonbon – I’ll be in an exclusive club, I don’t want what every Tom, Dick and Harry has.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Phoenixblight

“if nobody buys one?”

Well then Nintendo will be that much closer becoming a software company like Sega.

#10 1 year ago
  11. nollie4545

Lets face it, the Ninetendo offering is a dead horse.

#11 1 year ago
  12. dreamcastnews

Not for a longtime yet,pretty sure Ninty have enough money to keep going for another generation or two, don’t forget their handhelds kick shit out of the competition…

#12 1 year ago
  13. nollie4545

Handheld gaming? Yeah, great. If it was the year 2000. Its 2013 now, the mobile phone makers are after the hand held gaming slot now, and the next gen phones are going to pack APU/CPU hardware which wouldn’t look out of place in actual PCs.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Phoenixblight

They don’t have as much money as you think. THey invested in the R&D of the Wii U and its tablet which is not cheap. If you really think that why is it that when the 3ds was selling horribly that Nintendo CEO had to cut some losses and reduce their pay by 25% if they had lots of money in the bank? The reality is they don’t.

#14 1 year ago
  15. dreamcastnews

What’s the point about arguing over fact lol, Nintendo sell loads of handhelds,yes? We’ve all seen the hardware charts (on this site no less!)

Gaming on a phone? Yeah, I think Nokia tried that once, too.

#15 1 year ago
  16. dreamcastnews

@14 I think that’s more a Japanese honour thing actually, they may not have as much money as I think (whatever that figure may be) but they are more than fine for years to come. The thing is, the 3DS doesn’t sell horribly anymore and is avtually profitable on each machine sold, same as the Wii U will be come this time next year, it’s waaaaaaay too early for doom and gloom don’t we agree on that?

It’s like looking at a newborn baby and predicting he/she will be a serial killer when they are older…. There’s simply no way of knowing.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Phoenixblight

“same as the Wii U ”

Wrong. THat was if their goal on the amount of systems sold was match which it hasn’t.

#17 1 year ago
  18. nollie4545

If you are a detractor of gaming on phones, and think they won’t work, I think the complexity and popularity of games sold on android/iphone might be a small shock for you.

#18 1 year ago
  19. dreamcastnews

@18 mine was a joke, grow a funny bone, jeez.

@17 I wasn’t saying the Wii U matches the buying trend, I was saying it maybe a different story come next year – it will pick up I’m sure.

It isn’t the 32X, or the GX4000 – those were DOA, Wii U? Not so much, have some faith, man.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Phoenixblight

Faith is for fanboys. I go off of facts and right now Nintendo has a lot to prove.

#20 1 year ago
  21. dreamcastnews

I don’t get what you’re trying to prove?

Nintendo had a slow start…? So? The Wii U has been around what? 5 months…? It’s a little ignorant to write it off based on slower than (your) expectation of sales.

To turn around and not believe it’ll get better is pure stupidity, I don’t know you so I’ll assume you aren’t stupid and things can turn around lol

I own all consoles so obviously you aren’t putting me in as a ‘fanboy’ (whatever that is) I was a massive fan of Dreamcast, actually. That’s the only system I felt any ‘loss’ over.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Phoenixblight

” It’s a little ignorant to write it off based on slower than (your) expectation of sales.”

Did I write it off? Read the gamasutra article. The Wii U only sold 57k for the launch of the system that is worse than any of their other previous systems. Those are the facts. I didn’t make them up.

Nintendo hasn’t picked up any steam for the Wii U on their launch and it certainly hasn’t done well since then those are facts. Nintendo has to get their head out of their ass or they will lose entirely especially with next gen coming out this year and predicted to be releasing at a price that is much closer to the WiiU price. As I said Nintendo has a lot to prove.

#22 1 year ago
  23. OrbitMonkey

I remember all the guys saying how the Wii didn’t need the “hardcore” gamer. That all the hardcore dweebs ranting about how the Wii was for casuals didn’t make any difference…

Well now all those casual gamers are off playing on their tablets now the Wii gimmick has died and WiiU is desperately trying to garner lost favour with all those hardcore who don’t really matter.

Pity their all looking forward to the real next-gen offerings.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Diingo

Nintendo, you’ve had your time teaching the world how to make games properly… but now it’s time to take a rest and just focus purely on games as a publisher. We’ll still love you, because your games will coexist with every platform.

#24 1 year ago
  25. dreamcastnews

Yet a true ‘hardcore’ gamer owns it all I feel.

@22 I was more concerned at how you were marketing the comment like there was no coming back from this, I think the console will sell – when there’s some must-have software for it, which isn’t yet, Christmas? Totally different ballgame, this thing isn’t aiming to compete with MS or Sony (it couldn’t, we know this time around it isn’t in the right place that Wii was)

Personally, I’m enjoying some of the stuff that may have come out for other machines 6 months ago but there’s a trend of adding the DLC with it which makes it semi worth it since I missed the games the first time around. I think everyone has a take on it but, could we all agree that it’s too early to judge the book by the cover?

#25 1 year ago
  26. Phoenixblight

Again I didn’t write off. I am not suggesting they are doomed but if Nintendo don’t start playing their cards right they will lose. Especially if they don’t do a price cut before next gen releases along with a must have title. The choice becomes a PS4 for 400 with lots of launch titles or the WiiU with no real titles. Hard choices there.

#26 1 year ago
  27. dreamcastnews

The PS4 we don’t really know much about, the price? Isn’t confirmed, nor are a full list of games. Let’s be honest there weren’t any ‘killer apps’ in the show reel were there?

Sure support for the machine will be plenty – Sony have never had that problem whereas, Nintendo will bolster their portfolio with 1st party stuff, there aren’t many 3rd party games I can think of that I’d think ‘thats a Wii U system seller’ it’s all Ninty’s own stuff that makes the difference from ‘just’ being a PS3/360 wannabe.

By the time the PS4 comes out, I’m sure the Wii U will have some great titles (maybe not, who knows) and things will be a tad different, sure as one thing though, nobody is going to buy a console with no games (Virtual Boy springs to mind)

#27 1 year ago
  28. Phoenixblight

“Let’s be honest there weren’t any ‘killer apps’ in the show reel were there?”

Infamous: Second Son, Knack, Jonathon Blow’s new game, Media Molecule’s game even though it was a concept was just enough for me to get the system not to mention the social aspect. If it is indeed 400 then I will definitely be purchasing it on Launch.

#28 1 year ago
  29. dreamcastnews

Yeah I’ll have one at 400 I think, though, the only game that I got remotely interested in was Capcom’s game all the rest looked a bit ‘PS3′ for me to take the plunge, David Cage’s games will look stunning though that’s a dead cert.

All three machines will be going in different directions – I like that, means we’ll see more diverse games later on once developers get comfortable with each system.

#29 1 year ago
  30. DrDamn

Possibly no killer apps no, need to see more of them. However there is 9 months until launch. I’m sat here with a WiiU and 5 months in there are no killer apps here and none on the horizon either. Nintendo have a really important time from launch to when PS4 and Next Box arrive and so far they’ve wasted it. They need a very very good E3 with games good to be released this year.

#30 1 year ago
  31. dreamcastnews

@31 agreed, at least in the Sega took full advantage of the gap between DC & PS2…. I think Rayman was a major blow for Nintendo, Lego and Pikmin will help, but July seems so long away without games!

#31 1 year ago
  32. LuLshuck

cool meme

#32 1 year ago
  33. dreamcastnews

What’s a meme?

#33 1 year ago
  34. LuLshuck

Its french for cock

#34 1 year ago
  35. dreamcastnews

‘Cool cock’ ? What’s that got to do with the conversation?

#35 1 year ago
  36. OlderGamer

Sorry PB I have to full heartedly agree there were ZERO killer apps shown for PS4. The games you listed have no chance at moving hardware beyond the dedicated fan base.

Look at current gen releases of said francshises, they always undersell. Sony has invested(bless their souls) in a wide bredth of first party/2nd party ips this gen. And all of them got out sold by Nintendo and MSs own first party/in house stuff.

Uncharted was, I think, I haven’t checked in a few months, their biggest 1st party game. But their top first party game lags behind the Halos, Gears, Mario Karts, Smash bros, etc.

I love that Sony invests in making their own stuff. But move systems? System sellers? Killer apps? No. And I mean KZ and other stuff we saw at the PS4 reveal.

What happens if MS announce they will have a Fable ready at Launch? Or a Halo? What happens when Nintendo crank out a 3D Mario, Smash Bros, Mario Kart or the new Zelda hits?

Those are system sellers, killer apps. The last time I can recall Sony having a truely killer app at launch was SSX on PS2. And of course the nearly 2 and a half year promise of a PS2 FF game.

Even if PS4 launches with Uncharted, I doubt it moves as many systems as you might think. Sony needs something fresh, prolly from a 3rd party, to be exlcusive that can move hardware.

Stop over thinking WiiU. It won’t sell because it is too highly priced. Period. If it had some of those Nintendo Killer apps, it would help, but still wouldn’t move w/o a lower price. Games are important, but price trumps all. And the 2D mario is selling very well. But it doesn’t matter.

I would even venture a guess that the mass general public has fallen out of love with consoles. I highly doubt those same people turning their noses up at WiiU will be any eager to spend 400usd+ on a PS4 or XB.

The fringe seem to be falling away from suporting gaming. Leaving us with the dedictaed “core” gamer. That is great, maybe the games will come back around and reflect that audiance again. However I don’t believe that the behomouth of the industry today(esp trip A big budget projects) can be funded on that much smaller core audiance alone. Expect a shit load of franchises to dry up and die. Pubs to switch strategies and talent to jump ship from devs stuck in franchise hell. Look for smaller projects hitting console, mobile and PC. Look for what you have come to expect…to change.

I believe that consoles are in their last generation anyways. For all platforms.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Phoenixblight

I am not making this an X vs Y. WHat Sony has shown was enough for me to pick up the system if it is indeed 400$ along with 5-6 of my friends so that means something.

All your other points are just speculation and I really could care less. I call it like I see it and the facts atm are not leaning towards Nintendo.

BTW Halo won’t be coming out for the next gen and Fable isn’t a system seller it doesn’t pull as much weight as Halo or Gears does.

#37 1 year ago