PS4 dev costs “not that much of a leap up”, says Sony boss

Tuesday, 26th February 2013 21:36 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Current gen is already so expensive that PlayStation4 games simply can’t cost much more, Sony Worldwide studios senior vice president Michael Denny has said.

“I think what we’re seeing anyway in the industry is a polarisation between the triple-A games at the top end, which are getting more and more budget going in to them and even on current-gen have a lot of resource and effort going in to them,” Denny told CVG when asked about the cost of developing for the newly revealed console.

“I think you’ll be surprised that with next-generation PlayStation 4 it’s not that much of a leap up, because these games on current-gen are already pushing things to the max in terms of resources you’re putting in to them.”

Denny highlighted Sony’s commitment to indie and mid-core experiences outside the triple-A sphere, which should permit smaller-budget titles to release on PS4 too.

“It’s not one size fits all; it depends on the content, it depends on the market you’re going for, the genre,” he said.

“But I think it’s important that there’s always a place for those big, triple-A experiences.”

Denny’s comments are particularly interesting when taken alongside BioWare writer Neil Thompson’s; he suggested that development is already so expensive that next-gen games can’t possibly look much better than current gen, oir they’d need to sell 30 million copies every time. KIllzone seems to think it will.

1. Erthazus

and not so much of a generation leap. I hope that with PS4 hardware we can have more open-wide shooters at least and open-world games without cinematic prerendered bullshit.

That’s enough I guess.

#1 1 year ago
  2. tmac2011

hopefully its just 300.00 isnt to bad of a price. i just dont wamt to pay 700 dollars for a console

#2 1 year ago
  3. Digital Bamboo

$300 is optimistic, considering the deluxe Wii U is $350.

I think $400-$500 is more likely.

You won’t have to pay $700 for a PS4…unless you live in Australia.

I agree though, that it shouldn’t be too much more expensive to make AAA titles, as the PS4 is closer to a PC, and therefore more familiar, & the new development engines are easier to use & more efficient, which should cut down on dev time & # of people needed to make AAA games.

Games should stay the same price, for the consumer.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Espers

@3 How much is the Dev Kit of a PS4 ?! and is it the only thing needed to develop games ?! or is there any other bureaucracy procedures ?

@3 I do agree with you , I saw both specs yesterday for PS4 and Durango … and the first thing that came to my mind when I read x86 architecture … would be AAA games will be easier to develop .. since it took game studios 1 year to understand the architecture of PS3

#4 1 year ago
  5. Digital Bamboo

@4 Not sure how much PS4 dev kits cost, (I believe PS3′s started out at $20,000 but were down to $2000 by 2009) but I think the most expensive aspect of game development has got to be paying the people making the game.

If you can reduce the size of your dev team by even 5 people (because things like lighting, animation & programming are easier to do) over a 3 year development period, you’d save at least $1 million in costs.

As for other fees, I don’t know. I don’t work in the industry. I’m sure there are some hoops to jump through, but I can’t imagine why they’d get substantially more expensive next gen over this gen.

#5 1 year ago