Ian Livingstone discusses next-Xbox rumors which hint at watermarked discs

Tuesday, 26th February 2013 17:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The general consensus is that future consoles will be digital only, and something Eidos life president Ian Livingstone agrees with fully.

Speaking with MCV India, Livingtstone touches upon rumors which claim the next Xbox console will require an internet connection, even stating that discs for the console are watermarked.

“I think the next iteration of consoles – the PS4 and the next Xbox, have got optical disc drives even though they probably don’t want to have them,” he said. “Broadband speed globally isn’t at a level that justifies digital-only.

“So they’ve gone halfway. With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another. So I think the generation after that will be digital-only.”

While boxed games “aren’t being abandoned just yet,” Livingstone feels it will be “difficult to predict” when the digital-only future will be upon us due to many factors such as broadband speed.

He surmises that its possible for tech to be “embedded into a smart TV that’s connected to the internet,” which would forgo the need for a set-top box as everything will be delivered from the cloud.

Interesting future, indeed.

Thanks, Splatterhouse.

1. ps3fanboy

microsoft’s xbox just signed it’s own death attest..

#1 1 year ago
  2. xXNapsterManXx

My internet connection here in Australia is reliable so always online doesn’t phase me and i don’t buy used games nore do I lend games since my friends have the same games I do or they play them at my house so watermarking doesn’t bother me either.
    How ever my internet speed here in Australia isn’t to great (avg 2-3mbps) so streaming games like what sony wants to do might prove difficult.

#2 1 year ago
  3. xXNapsterManXx

@#1 just die no one cares

#3 1 year ago
  4. pukem0n

dont feed the troll ;)

#4 1 year ago
  5. Samoan Spider

@1 Your blind fanboism is truly remarkable. If there’s no competition, what do you propose Sony will do? Honestly, answer in 100 words or more. I want your in depth assessment of an industry without competition. And just as a point, in another post where the discussion was about Sony being ambiguous, you said that it would stop you buying a console, so I’m assuming by your logic that Sony has ‘signed its own death attest’ too where your consumerism is concerned?

#5 1 year ago
  6. ps3fanboy

i dunno if your a 12 year old kid or not that use games like he change underwear. but most of us that are interested in games often also play a game 10 years after its release. this option you will not have if microsoft put all this drm crap in the next xbox… you should think a bit further than your own needs of today, just saying…

#6 1 year ago
  7. nollie4545

Best of luck with that then MS and Sony, basically stopping people playing used games. Biting the hand that feeds you, capitalism at its finest.

Can understand why people might like the idea of never using discs again, heck I am a very pleased and ardent steam user, but if your connection is less than perfect or quite slow, its going to mean you can’t have any real access to a lot of content and that will basically hurt sales.

Watermarked discs, whatever next.

#7 1 year ago
  8. ps3fanboy

quick and easy answer… if sony do the same FUCK’EM TOO!!… there goes your blind fanboism.

#8 1 year ago
  9. xXNapsterManXx

@6 no mate I’m 20 and few games warrant me playing them 10 years after release I often find 10 year old games don’t hold up too well compared to their modern counterparts. Although with the current long generation it might change we shall see, also playing the 10 year old games I love can often spoil my fond memories of them.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Moonwalker1982

This IS still a rumour guys, don’t forget that.

I for one don’t give a shit about used games, but it definitely would still be a pretty sad and stupid move if they do this. Always online…doesn’t bother me too much cause i’m online anyway when i’m gaming on 360. But what about when your connection is down?

#10 1 year ago
  11. woe

It sounds like Ian Livingstone is only speculating on rumours.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Samoan Spider

@8 That is a fair retort :)

#12 1 year ago
  13. SplatteredHouse

@10 It’s very much a rumour. Also, (if included purposefully), the “supposedly” in Ian’s sentence could prompt the question of whether or not Ian is simply talking about measures previously rumoured; or, whether he knows that is the case, but not actually seen it to be able to say with conviction.

But, the watermarked discs bit is a new development, compared to what circulated from “sources” that were contacted before.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Cobra951

I realize it’s just a rumor, but the subject matter is crucial, at least to me. I will not buy any console that forces me online, and I probably won’t buy one which limits the individual console unit where my discs will work. If both Sony and MS go that route, it may be the perfect time to get back into PC gaming. At least there, I have plenty of choices and control (read: easily circumvented DRM).

#14 1 year ago
  15. elite gamer

@6 FUCK YOU !!! :d

#15 1 year ago
  16. nollie4545

Gentlemen, some decorum, please. If you find yourself so riled up over the comments here that you can’t post without using obscene language then maybe you are better off not contributing.

#16 1 year ago
  17. ps3fanboy

@15 FUCK YOU TOO !!!:d

#17 1 year ago
  18. ps4fanboy

@1 thats exactly what i thought after reading this

#18 1 year ago
  19. elite gamer

@ 17 Thank U. :d

#19 1 year ago
  20. orakaa

Those are rumors, but IF they are true, then no next-gen console for me.
    I’ve bought many different games that I had not the chance to play YET. Maybe I’ll play them in 1 year, or maybe in 3 or 4 years.

Heck, I still have PS2 games I want to play (Dragon Quest VIII for instance, that is waiting for me). I do NOT want a system dependent on Sony/Microsoft/whatever’s servers that will be turned offline whenever they want.
    Last year I bought a house… but it took me 3 months to get access to the internet (due to different problems). I would have been prevented to use a system that I genuinely bought.

I buy ALL my stuff (even my PC softwares), but this is just invitation to piracy. Same bullsh*t as on PC with DRM, when honest customers are being punished and have more constraints than pirates

#20 1 year ago
  21. SabreWulf

As another has stated… IT’S A RUMOR, plain & simple… and I have a distinct feeling that this will not fly.

For example: This is mentioning used games, and how one will not be able to play them used. However, what if you want to bring a game to your buddy’s house and play? What about just borrowing a game for a week from your buddy? What about RedBox/GameFly?

The simple answer is that this Livingstone guy is just shooting his mouth off where it doesn’t belong, because there’s too much at stake to not allow “used games” on other systems… period.

#21 1 year ago
  22. EZXPSnazzyPanic

Not a good idea at all

#22 1 year ago
  23. Blade247

If this is the case, which I doubt. Get a Fn job and pay for shit. It’s that simple. The price of games will just drop earlier. Deadspace 3 came out what? 2 weeks ago? It’s $39 now. You can digitally download most games for $19 or buy “new” yet older games for the same.

Silly excuses from fanboys is just that.

#23 1 year ago
  24. nollie4545

Lending games and letting your friend try it or taking it to a buddies house etc however is part of the console landscape. This kind of gestapo move flies in the face of console gaming.

#24 1 year ago
  25. ALEX427

True story. I purchased a 360 slim a couple months ago and to be honest I COULD NOT GET RID OF IT FAST ENOUGH so I WENT ON CRAGHSLIST and sold it within a week super stoked at getting rid of it.SO regarding this “next gen” xbox which is old hardware compare to a pc there is no way I am going back to xbox so I think that they are pushing people away from xbox with this stingy tactics and I know that they lost me as a customer.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Telepathic.Geometry

In Ireland, I would never have bought a second hand game, but here in Japan, the quality of the disc and box and whatnot is generally pretty reliable, so I have maybe a dozen or so 2nd hand games.

If that were to disappear, well, I have a feeling that there would be some unpleasant market consequences… And maybe legal ones too.

#26 1 year ago