Jenova Chen discusses next game, probably going multi-format

Monday, 11th February 2013 14:49 GMT By Dave Cook

Thatgamecompany founder Jenova Chen has shed some tantalising details about his next, untitled project in a new interview.

Speaking with Polygon at DICE Summit 2013, Journey, Flower and flOw creator Chen stated that he wants financial success with his new title, seeing as Journey bankrupt the company during development.

This means it’s going multi-format he confirmed, and added that the company successfully sought venture capital funding to fuel development, which is under way now.

Chen confirmed that the game would explore some themes established in Journey, and explained that there may be some bumps along the way, “I have a very high standard. Language doesn’t help. English isn’t my first language and a lot of times I can’t tell exactly what I want for someone to do, so I need to write it myself. Camera controls, level designs, lighting effects, I need to touch it myself. I’m a control freak.”

While inspired by Journey, Chen explained he wants to go one better than it, “Journey was focused on connection. I think we are trying to do one level above that with this game”, then added, “It’s very likely, that’s impossible.”

“This will be one level above that connection”, he concluded.

What do you think of Journey and this potential new game? Let us know below.

1. Beta

I’m going with the assumption that it will be brilliant. And I applaud TGC for staying independent :)

Curious to see how they get on with X360.

#1 1 year ago
  2. NiceFellow

If they haven’t begun development then I’d imagine the target will be PS4/Nextbox/Wii U.

Not a lot of interest in news about a non-combat orientated GOTY and a studio formerly tied to Sony going multi-platform. Everybody too focused on all rumours PS4/Nextbox?

#2 1 year ago
  3. Gnosis

@2: They stated on Facebook, that their new project’s been in development for a year now, so… My guess is no.
    I’m always looking forward to their new games. Journey was basically the reason I decided myself in favour of a Ps3.

#3 1 year ago
  4. DrDamn

The tie to Sony was known to be for the number of games they have produced. Probably more surprising is that Sony haven’t extended the deal before now or even tried to bring them in house to some extent. It’s probably best for them that they go multi-platform at this point if they have the reserves. The games deserve and perhaps need a wider audience, the Sony backing has given them the platform and recognition to go further now.

#4 1 year ago
  5. ActionGameKing

The fact that he was wearing a Playstation belt during his DICE talk, which used the exact same logo as Sony’s ‘See the Future’ Video, pretty much in my mind confirms his next game is next-gen.

#5 1 year ago