Legacy of Kain and Wolfenstein domains registered

Saturday, 9th February 2013 19:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Well, would you look at this: Square Enix has registered a domain pertaining to the Legacy of Kain series. Dug up by Superannuation, the domain registration for warfornosgoth.com was filed on Thursday, February 7 through CSC Corporate Domains, Inc. Crystal Dynamics is rumored to be working on a reboot of the series. On top of that, the same domain company registered a domain for the new Wolfenstein title that is rumored to be in development at ZeniMax Sweden. Color me excited over both prospects. Hit up the links for a look yourself.

1. Night Hunter

Make it happen Square Enix! Make it happen!!!

#1 1 year ago
  2. BULArmy

Just remake RtCW singleplayer and Enemy Territory MP and I will trow my money at them. RtCW is in my top 3 all time favorite games along with the original Mafia and Witcher. The game would be absolutely amazing in id Tech 5.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Gnosis

*Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!* …*ahem* Well, ok. It’s a domain… and it’s called “War for Nosgoth”. But that doesn’t mean anything. Really. I’m sure of it. Get lost, goddamn hopes for a new LoK game >_>

#3 1 year ago
  4. genesis1972

Would love to see a new Legacy of Kain game but would like HD versions of both Soul Reaver 1 + 2 as well as Defiance – just to get familiar with all thats happened in previous games!

#4 1 year ago
  5. Moonwalker1982

Awwww shit yeah. I hope so much this is the reboot. A new LoK game on next-gen, the sound of that is brilliant.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Mike W

Naw man, I want to see something brand new. If you guys played through the whole series it was sad what happened to…..wait a minute. I don’t want spoil it for you. :)

#6 1 year ago
  7. Gnosis

@6: I know, right?! And the name of the new LoK webpage is just so… so…suitable! If you remember what happend at the end of Defiance.

Now, if you excuse me, I need to go and let off some more *Squeee!*

#7 1 year ago
  8. Moonwalker1982

I honestly didn’t play them all. If the story has any connection to the old ones..i will read a recap of it when the new one comes.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Mike W

You missed out, blood omen 2 was my favorite one.

#9 1 year ago
  10. absolutezero

oh no.

Please no. I don’t trust the current industry to not simply destroy LoK.

#10 1 year ago
  11. mtnman3888

Oh hell yeah! I loved Soul Reaver and that universe is awesome, it’s too rich to just leave alone and not revisit.

@4 I agree, an HD remake of those games would be awesome and I would purchase day one, but I seriously doubt it since they were PS1 games.

#11 1 year ago
  12. salarta

Oh boy I wonder how they’ll screw up Legacy of Kain! Maybe Raziel will sparkle.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Moonwalker1982

Come on dude,have a little faith in Crystal Dynamics :)

#13 1 year ago
  14. salarta

@13: They lost it with how they’ve decided to reboot Tomb Raider. Which isn’t too surprising now that Squeenix owns them. If Lara’s origin story is going to be about Lara starting out as a scared, weak womanchild in stereotypical horror film survivor girl fashion, then it seems only fair to expect them to turn Legacy of Kain into Twilight. It fits their apparent new motto of not caring about treating source material respectfully, and focusing on whatever they think fits assumed trends and demographics.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Ali

I remember asking ID about rebooting Wolfenstien and they basically told me not to expect it anytime soon and there it is being worked on. Best news ? Original creators of Riddick and The Darkness are working on it.

#15 1 year ago
  16. mreko3230

More Wolfenstein MP? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoizunqBiQU

#16 1 year ago
  17. Moonwalker1982

I disagree with that :)

I actually really like the direction they’ve taken with Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider was getting old and it needed change. We never had a origins story of Lara and i like it. We can’t judge how stereotypical it will be until we’ve played it. So far i’m really liking what i’m seeing. They have created a character that you can actually give a damn about, and i like that in some videogames. Uncharted has that, likeable characters, MGS, RDR, most GTA games. I never gave a crap about Lara before in previous games. She never really had a personality and that’s about to change. Bringing Square Enix into this doesn’t make sense. Sleeping Dogs was fine for example. Deus Ex HR was fine too and i haven’t seen enough of Hitman Absolution yet to judge on that.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Da Man

LoK games are best played via YouTube.

Incidentally, Twilight is a good entertaining movie and much more fun. It’s like watching a good action after a MGS videogame. But then obviously the hardcore would choose Zone of The Enders over Star Wars..

#18 1 year ago
  19. salarta

@17: The problem is, the new “Tomb Raider” is trying to change Lara Croft into something she’s not and was never supposed to be. Lara Croft was created to be an action star type of character, and the game is trying to turn her into a horror film survivor girl type instead. Not just a “survivor girl” type; if that was all, she would have been presented as naturally strong, smart, brave, confident, etc, which is the way Lara Croft is supposed to be. Instead, the game is proposing that Lara Croft started out as a weak, wussy girl that has to be forced into a life-threatening situation with male aggressors and a male mentor to make her have those qualities. It’s essentially taking the last strong female protagonist that hadn’t yet been screwed over with stupid decisions this generation, and ripping everything away from her.

Men can be strong, smart, tough and brave immediately, yet somehow all women have to have some sort of traumatic experience to make them stop being gentle little flowers and take on qualities that apparently only men are normally allowed to have. That’s the message of Tomb Raider, whether the team intended it that way or not.

If the idea behind this new “Tomb Raider” was a brand new IP, I would have been fine with it. But this type of “origin story” that ruins everything that defined Lara as a strong female protagonist is not the way to go. If you want to see a reboot done right, look at Mortal Kombat 9. It doesn’t throw out the soul of the series out of some attempt to force in things that don’t apply. You don’t see the story rewritten so Mileena is the star of some anti-bullying tale where being bullied all her life leads to her believing the only way people will respect her is through violence and sex, nor do you see Kitana turned into a poster girl for child abuse with Shao Kahn beating her into obedience before Kitana heroically gets out from under him after 10,000 years of abuse. No, the story of Mortal Kombat 9 takes what was established and builds upon and respects it.

It’s a shame so many people are going to eagerly lap up Tomb Raider solely because it promises “change” without bothering to think about whether or not it really counts as good change. I’d like to believe the game will bomb like DmC and we’ll get the real Lara back, but truthfully, Squeenix has done a good job of convincing people that this is somehow an attempt to respect the past and build Lara up even as they gut her of everything that made her what she was. When it comes to treatment of the protagonist, this new “Tomb Raider” is essentially 3rd Birthday without as much emphasis on the sex.

#19 1 year ago