PS4 rumour: next-gen racer & Killzone studio projects to debut February 20th

Wednesday, 6th February 2013 08:23 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4 rumours are heating up, and recent rumblings suggest that a next-gen racer and the new project from Killzone studio Guerilla Games will debut at Sony’s ‘PlayStation Meeting’ event on February 20th.

This fresh rumour comes from STFUandPlay, and I know what we’re thinking – ‘who are they exactly?’ It doesn’t matter too much as a Polygon author using his NeoGAF handle ‘Aegies’ has gone on record to say that the rumour is true to his knowledge.

To be clear, that’s not the sort of thing a game writer does unless they’re damn sure.

So, the rumour in full then, is that Ged Talbot – ex-Bizarre Creations lead designer on Blur and several Project Gotham titles – has been hired by Motorstorm team Evolution Studios, along with other former employees.

They’re working on a next-gen racer for PS4 that was at one point pitched as a Gran Turismo title, although Sony Japan decided against the move for some reason. If true, this is the second next-gen racer in the works for Sony’s new console.

The other racer is rumoured to be in development at Ivory Tower, a studio comprised of ex-Eden Games staff. It’s said to be a spiritual successor to Test Drive Unlimited.

Also, Killzone studio Guerilla Games is said to be revealing its PS4 project at the event as well.

The PlayStation Meeting event kicks off February 20th in New York City. We have everything you need to know about PS4 rumours surrounding the event here.

Thanks Gematsu.

1. nando

i have no doupt anymore.Sony is going to announce the ps4.Witcher 3 is coming out in 2014 too that means in this Christmas we will have both consoles.KZ4 Jesus i cant wait for that shit

#1 1 year ago
  2. kaffikjelen

Nice. I hope that there are still some surprises left for the event itself.

#2 1 year ago
  3. V_fyfe_V

don’t care what anyone thinks…..Cant wait for killzone 4

#3 1 year ago
  4. SameeR_Fisher

No offense but what ?!, will the 20th of Feb be all about Racing ?! grrrrrrrrr

#4 1 year ago
  5. monkeygourmet

Racing and FPS games are the best things to showreel graphics wise. I would hope next gen would make more open world titles possible without some of the performance cuts we have seen last gen.

Open world Uncharted would be cool, but I have a feeling it’ll still be more corridor based with closed environments so they can crank up the sparkles.

#5 1 year ago
  6. stevenhiggster

I did say to my buddy last week that I reckoned they’d show GT6 and KZ4 along with the PS4 on the 20th, lets see if I’m right.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Erthazus

If they are going to show Killzone 4 then it’s MEH (although FPS game is the best thing to show what the system is capable off) new iP is their chance to do a much better show. New racing game would be much better for a show.

But I feel that I won’t be impressed at all. Specs so far are of course X10 times more powerfull then PS3′s but…

#7 1 year ago
  8. manamana

I smell The Last Guardian!!!

#8 1 year ago
  9. mathare92

@8 If TLG gets a re-reveal at this event, I will literally fart rainbows of happiness.

#9 1 year ago
  10. ps4some

@8 and @9 It’ll never happen :( [starts sobbing]

#10 1 year ago
  11. DrDamn

If this Evolution studios game was pitched as a GT game (presumably as an offshoot?) then that would put it in the realms of Arcade/Sim – PGR type territory rather than a Motorstorm continuation. Which makes it interesting given today’s other news.

#11 1 year ago
  12. nando

go live happy with your pc.None of the developers will not push the pc further than consoles again so keep dreaming and if the specs are true prepare yourself to amazing looking visuals.Throw a way your trash pc after the next gens come out

#12 1 year ago
  13. OlderGamer

Yes this is nice but can those games be played used!? That could be a huge question.

#13 1 year ago
  14. stretch215

@13 why is that a huge question? Cheap bastard :P

#14 1 year ago
  15. tmac2011

i hope i can get to a computer on the 20th i prolly or ill just wait till saturday going to flirda for a week and this has to happen :( worst timing ever i should have just said no ididnt want to go really……

#15 1 year ago
  16. nhowell14

I just truly hope Sony is just able to pull out whatever magic they used for the PS2/PS1.

What this gen really needs less of IMHO is FPS, I think 7 CODs, 3Crysis’, 3 Resistance’s, 4 Halo’s, and 2 Killzone’s along with the random others that weren’t worth mentioning trying to cash in on the other’s FPS successes (minus you two of course, dear BorderLands and Far Cry 3) I’d say they need to overkill a completely different Genere so that the few games that do come out in whatever respective genre are actually enjoyable.

Good examples of what I’m talking about? Haze, Army of Two, Kane & Lynch….need I go on?

#16 1 year ago
  17. Bill_E_Talent

If they release another Killzone game it better be a helluva a lot more KZ2 than KZ3. Rico’s a fucking douche bag, I don’t want another Rico and Sev Broventure chock full of on-the-rails set pieces.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Bill_E_Talent

@16 Exactly! Haze 2 is what is needed!

#18 1 year ago
  19. Eddie Rodrigues

@16 I felt the same magic playing on the PS3, sorry but don’t know what kind gibberish you are trying to pull out :D

#19 1 year ago
  20. PC_PlayBoy

Next Gen consoles. Lol

#20 1 year ago
  21. polygem

PC fanboys. Lol

#21 1 year ago
  22. Hunam

People on the internet. Lol.

#22 1 year ago

27. SlayerGT

#27 1 year ago
  28. CyberMarco

Trololo xD

#28 1 year ago
  29. SlayerGT

Ill tell you what, I hope all these rumored next Gen racers have awesome sound effects. I remember before the 360 launched I was telling myself, “yeah, pgr looks good..expected.” What reminded me why I liked more powerful machines thou were the sound effects in pgr. I would turn my surround sound up and just wig out over the engine sounds :) they were so detailed and crisp. Im excited to see the evolution of sound design as well as AI (Jesus I hope) and graphics.

#29 1 year ago
  30. tatsujin

KZ4. PS4. GT6.

Fuck yea. Looking good, looking good. How about Uncharted 4? Last of Us 2?

#30 1 year ago
  31. sg1974

GT6?

Roll on 2018!

#31 1 year ago
  32. Erthazus

@29, I think they all are going to support the latest 7.1 surround sound and decent sound card will be included in both consoles.

#32 1 year ago
  33. theevilaires

Lets just wait and see. All these rumors are becoming quite annoying. Just 13 more days and we’ll finally get the facts.

#33 1 year ago