‘Darksiders 3 doesn’t fit with our strategy’: Crytek discusses Vigil deal

Tuesday, 5th February 2013 08:21 GMT By Dave Cook

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli has shed new light on the deal it struck with Darksiders developer Vigil developer games, and has expressed surprise that nobody bid on the studio during last months THQ auction. Although the team is free to pursue any project they wish – as the newly re-branded Crytek USA – Darksiders 3 will not be its first project.

Speaking with GamesBeat, Yerli explained that Crytek wasn’t initally going to bid on Vigil, but that he already had made contact with the studio’s founder David Adams.

“We were surprised when nobody bid on Vigil. We would have liked to have bid, but there were too many unknowns. But when nobody bid [on Vigil], I thought that maybe we could reconsider bidding.

“But eventually we decided not to because the projects [the developer was working on] weren’t strategically fit for us, but I really liked David [when I talked to him] on the phone. He made a very good impression on me as someone who really cared, someone who is really passionate about what he does, and someone who is passionate about the team he works with.”

Yerli then decided to hop a plane to Vigil to discuss the hiring of 20-30 staff to form Crytek USA, an offer that Adams wasn’t expecting.

“It was an interesting time”, Adams explained. “I was telling everyone that [Friday] was their last day. [Yerli] came out the next day. We met, and the day after we were pulling a new studio together called Crytek USA.

Yerli added, “I was thinking that if the [whole] team showed up to the Sunday meeting in full number, as David said they would, it would show implicitly the trust and respect the team has for David.

“And when they all showed up and expressed that they really wanted to work together – that team integrity and the fact that they really didn’t want to split up was enough for me to say this goes beyond an interview.

“I didn’t ask David about his previous jobs, it was completely based on trust and the fact that these guys were great people with a great history.”

However one part of Vigil’s history that won’t be repeating any time soon is Darksiders, the IP that – for many gamers – brought their attention to the studio. It’s not the best fit for Crytek right now, Yerli explained.

“We didn’t want to continue with Darksiders III, since that doesn’t fit with our strategy. It’s not like we set the team on a specific game concept. They’re actually going to work on what David and the team identifies as what they want to do.

“Right now, they just know what the strategy of Crytek is and the framework we need to satisfy, but none of that drives what the game is about.”

Would you like to see Darksiders 3 on CryEngine 3 one day? Well, it may just happen in time.

Thanks GI.biz.

1. SameeR_Fisher

yeah right, I am thankful for Crytek for rescuing Vigil, but come on, Crytek’s every game is a FPS, from Far Cry to Crysis, to Homefront, change a bit Crytek, Darknsiders 3 on CryEngine may have been good, also no Crawler either ?!, this really sucks.

2. SplatteredHouse

From the way Yerli is talking about Darksiders III, you might get the impression that he thinks he could make it, if he chose…Except, we know that the IP was not amongst the things sold at the auction of THQ’s existing studios and projects. It will be part of another attempt of scraps carving, in the coming weeks. (No indication of when that is – Is VG247 keeping an ear to the ground, in order to follow events??)

At least the people of Vigil are safe, and remaining together. I’d very much like to see Darksiders continue, on CryEngine, through Crytek. I don’t consider it needs to go the way of Darkwatch, not to be seen and the studio caught up with another franchise. :(

3. chaoszage

Damn,no more Darksiders :(

4. absolutezero

Just wait for the inevitable appearance of Darksiders F2P FPS Micro-transactions P2W.

Its the future!

5. Maximum Payne

I think Darksiders 3 when pair with Cryengine 3 you could rival game like God of War
    Also like SplatteredHouse said they don’t have IP yet so will just have to wait.

6. ManuOtaku

I really wish they can solve this situation and make a darksiders game in the future, but crytek doenst seem to willing in doing it, so maybe i dont get my hopes so high, pretty sad if you ask me ;_;

7. RaisinBran

‘Darksiders 3 doesn’t fit with our strategy’

What does? FPS after FPS?

8. manamana

He would like FPS on a Yerli basis. See what I did there?

9. Clupula

Of course it doesn’t fit with their strategy. You’re not a floating gun in Darksiders.

10. sh4dow

Haha… “the team is free to pursue any project they wish” … as long as it does … “fit with our strategy”

11. dragonknight23p

Okay here is my feelings on the matter Darksiders is the best set games ive played in along time it has muti of different things from alot of games and it is by far better than most games out there. There is a ton of fans and myself on facebook and other forums wanting this set to keep going at least with a 3 and 4 there are 2 other riders we can play as and truley ill probley stop buying any product.that a company has the power and means to bring us these awsome games.look at the cash this title brings in.not only on the just the game but the downloadable content.So come on guys dont kill the best video game to come out since Zeldas and all the greats we love this game.Thank you for hearing me out….