UK charts: Ni no Kuni claims top spot, Namco rep thanks community

Monday, 4th February 2013 09:03 GMT By Dave Cook

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch has levelled up to the top of the UK charts, toppling its louder, non-turn-based peers. Studio Ghibli and Level-5′s romp seems like it will be a big win for the JRPG genre.

Well have the full chart as it is released by Chart Track, but in the meantime, Namco rep Lee Kirton issued his thanks to the community for helping Ni No Kuni reach the top spot.

Speaking with MCV he said, “We expected good sales as the pre orders were close to shipment. In the end we have created a demand for this amazing game and have stock going out to channels this week.

“We have focused PR, marketing and the community has been brilliant. We have been solid with communication and reviews in the UK have been astonishing. We are very pleased, but ultimately it’s down to an incredible game from Level 5 and some strong communication from me and my team.”

Last week I argued in my Ni No Kuni appraisal that JRPGs could be about to explode and see a real resurgence thanks to the pairing of Studio Ghibli and Level-5, acting as the perfect gateway drug to other games in the genre. What do you think?

Here’s the full chart:

1. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the white Witch
2. FIFA 13
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
4. Far Cry 3
5. Hitman: HD Trilogy
6. Assassin’s Creed 3
7. Need for Speed: Most Wanted
8. Just Dance 4
9. Hitman: Absolution
10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

1. DrDamn

That’s a very good showing for the genre and a platform exclusive. It’s not available in the supermarkets and sold out online too. All relative to the time of year and other titles obviously.

#1 1 year ago
  2. aseddon130

it just proves how quiet game sales are in January and February until a few big guns come out (Crysis 3, Aliens, Dead Space) It’ll drop out in a week or two.

#2 1 year ago
  3. orakaa

Well deserved (and impressive for a JRPG present on only one console).
    Let’s hope we’ll get more good quality RPGs like this one in Europe

#3 1 year ago
  4. absolutezero

Proper tidy mun

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dave Cook

There’s lucky.

#5 1 year ago
  6. polygem

only 2 or 3 hours in yet. loving this game. well deserved sales! if it will stay as good it´s my first real GOTY 2013 contender already – and a tough one to beat…

i also want the new sly game to sell well but i have a feeling it wont. buy these games people. don´t spent your hard earned cash on fifacod…(well do that if you enjoy it but don´t expect me to understand that).

#6 1 year ago
  7. daytripper

I don’t like the genre much, not a fan of turn based gameplay but it’s great to see it at number as the charts were getting ridiculously predictable with the same mundane crap

#7 1 year ago
  8. polygem

@day: i am not the biggest fan of that either, but this game is so charming and the gameplay is really fun. the combat too. it´s awesome. i *cough* play on easy mode because i don´t feel like i want a tough challenge right now with all my backlog waiting for me (maybe in the next playthrough one day)…this way you can enjoy the great story and just have a lot of fun with the game. it´s a breeze to play it really. relaxing stuff. i would really recommend picking this up to anyone. it´s just “one of those games….

#8 1 year ago
  9. daytripper

@8 I have seen gameplay, it’s not my style of game but it’s good for the industry seeing it sell well as I’m tired of the dominance of War Call of The Duty 3 Point and Shoot and FIFA We Have Great Motion Capture But Shite Gameplay 13. We need more ips and genres to do well, more choice can be a good thing, creating growth with jobs and people buying more games.

#9 1 year ago
  10. pablo2008jedi

Bought this for the wife, who love anime and RPG games. I can’t help but watch her play the game. Ni No Kuni is absolutely stunning, the gfx are really beautiful and meld well with the cut scenes. The voice acting is great and funny.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Clupula

Just beat it two days ago. Absolutely awesome game. Can’t wait to get back in and do the post-game boss. I also notice a certain other title disappear completely from the top 10. Won’t mention any names, but tee-hee.

#11 1 year ago
  12. polygem

@10: same here. i am playing the game, my girlfriend is watching and totally hooked. i played for only half an hour alone while she wasn´t at home and she freaked out as she found out! :)

it´s my free day today and i would totally love to continue playing the game…but i guess i´ll have to wait for my gf to return home from work first. well i think i´ll go for a run in the park now instead.

#12 1 year ago
  13. daytripper

@11 Go on just say it….

#13 1 year ago
  14. orakaa

@11: haha, good catch, I didn’t even noticed :)

#14 1 year ago
  15. Dragon246

@Clupula,
    Devil deserves to cry, doesn’t he ;)

I wish this game all the best.

#15 1 year ago