Capcom expects 14m games sold by end of FY13, Street Fighter 2 is best-selling title

Monday, 4th February 2013 09:12 GMT By Dave Cook

Capcom posted its Q3 financial report this morning – check out my full report on the numbers here – and in a separate press release the company has predicted sales of 14 million units by the end of financial year 2013. The Japanese company has also revealed some intriguing stats for its current stock of IP.

In a note passed to VG247, Capcom confirmed its aim to release a total of 40 titles by the end of fiscal year 2013. Bear in mind that we’re already in fiscal year 2013, so some of these games have already launched. Across all of these titles, the company hopes to shift 14 million units in total, a decrease of 1.7 million over FY12. It should be noted that the company released 69 titles last year, so a dip was inevitable.

Street Fighter II is Capcom’s best-selling title to date, with 6.3 million lifetimes sales since it debuted in 1992.

The Resident Evil franchise continues to sell, despite Capcom calling the sixth instalment a “failure” in its financial report. Resident Evil 5 has sold the most at 6.0 million units, Resident Evil 2 at 4.96 million and Resident Evil 6 at 4.8 million. When you look at it this way, is Resi 6 really a failure?

Despite launching back in 2010, PSP title Monster Hunter Freedom 3 is Capcom’s fifth-best selling title to date with 4.7 million units. It was only sold in Japan.

There was no mention of DmC: Devil May Cry. In all seriousness it’s maybe too early to make a worldwide call on its sales, but what do you think? Has the game been glazed over?

If you’re still on the fence, check out my appraisal of DmC: Devil May Cry and judge for yourself.

1. Greek God

DmC is a big fail

2. YoungZer0

1 mil. copies in one month? Wow, that’s amazing!

3. Greek God

“shipped” not sold lol

4. YoungZer0

Same goes for DMC4, it shipped 4 million in total, not sold.

Also shipped 2 million in the first month.

5. Greek God

still DmC did 1/3 numbers of DMC4 in UK the reboot was not a success
    Capcom hoped to increase sales but it backfired hard

6. viralshag

Of course, because we all know for a fact any other DMC game with the original Dante would have been a HUGE success!

After all, none of the strange little fans would have reason to complain and bought it blindly.

DmC, to me at least, is an improvement on any of that other shit I played before. I don’t get what the uproar was about.

7. YoungZer0

“still DmC did 1/3 numbers of DMC4 in UK the reboot was not a success”

… doesn’t matter.

btw. the game is receiving more and more positive reviews, even from people who expected to dislike it, like Angry Joe, or TotalBiscuit (Who also had a lot of positive things to say about the PC Port). So eventually people who have not bought it because they had a prejudice will either buy it or stay the dumb children they are.

I mean there are still people out there not realizing that his hair will turn white eventually. And yes, for those stupid people this was the number 1 reason not to check out the game. It’s an embarrassment. I always say that you could judge a franchise on its fans. Which is why it’s always a pleasure to talk to Fans the series “The Wire”. You probably have not heard about it. It wasn’t successful.

Also:

8. Darkreaper

@ Young Zero

Reviews don’t matter at the end line of things. If your fans are not on the paying end and your chancing on a unknown newcomer base you turn little profit. Many games have gotten glorifying reviews from some of the most well respected game journalist and still failed financially.

Also Angry Joe liked the game but still gave issue to some of the same flaws most any fan would find in the game. So he understands many fans would have some issue if/when played. Its not just the hair thing either for some “REASONABLE” minded fans its the camera, controls, characters, and difficulty that are not upto par. And a million in a month is impressive for a new company or an original IP, but this is old well-known Capcom if their not hitting closer to 3-5 mil its no success to them.

9. Greek God

@ Young Zero
    “I’d also like to point out that DMC3 sold 1.3 million copies in total. So i guess by your definition it was a failure too.”

lol i doubt DMC3 costed Capcom as much as DmC did to develope…xD

10. viralshag

Ah good, if one opinion fails at validating a point let’s move on to another one! Development costs, grrr!

11. Fin

FUCK OFF WITH YOUR DMC ARGUING BULLSHIT

THE GAMES OUT, NOBODY CARES IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT. FUCK OFFFFFFF.

12. absolutezero

Thats exactly how I feel whenever theres another stupid rumour about a next-gen console.

Its going to come out either way, and games are going to be created for that closed environment, so who fucking cares how much fucking RAM it has.

13. YoungZer0

@8: So what’s your point? I bet if some of you people would look past the numbers and actually read the reviews, you’d see that the reviewers also criticized the game.

“So he understands many fans would have some issue if/when played.”

“Its not just the hair thing either for some “REASONABLE” minded fans its the camera, controls, characters, and difficulty that are not up to par.”

The … camera? Are you for … you never played it, have you? It’s not the old DMC anymore, you CONTROL the camera. This is ignorant. It’s superior to the old dmc in every way.

And if you have not finished the game on Hell and Hell, you have no reason to complain about the difficulty. It’s simply stupid complaining that the game is too easy on normal mode.

“And a million in a month is impressive for a new company or an original IP”

I’d say it is impressive for a reboot.

“Capcom if their not hitting closer to 3-5 mil its no success to them”

They had higher expectations, doesn’t mean it’s not successful to them. We’ll definitely know, as soon as DmC2 is announced.

@12: Yeah, i read the comic today, it’s bloody awful. There’s a reason why i always hate comic-tie-ins: Story is different, characters are different, artstyle fucking sucks, writing is inferior.

There’s even some of that “How dare your mortal!?” Bullshit, you people all seem to love.

The background story is not the same as in the game, so it’s worthless. Vergil meets Kat in a completely different way.

14. SameeR_Fisher

@Young Zero: Are you sure that DMC3 sold 1.5Millions ?!, according to VG Chartz it sold 4.3Million copies (the 2 versions combined) and those are the PS2 numbers only.

As for DmC, it may have been great, and the reviews said it was great, but so was Enslaved -if you played it-, I liked Enslaved alot, it was a great title, but sadly it didn’t do well commercially, I am hoping DmC does better.

Look I am not here to be on the hating train, not at all, I learned to look past the changes in any game series -still trying actually-, but for Devil may Cry to be great, it really needs to sell, it’s a sad truth this generation, but games fall and studios close due to low sales of games, and sadly Ninja Theory is having a rough time, each title is selling less and less than expected, I hope they stay around, they are talented.

15. Clupula

Oh, it definitely SHIPPED a million, but I see piles of it, unsold, at every Gamestop I see. Since I’m a dick, I’ve even asked them how many copies they’ve sold. None of the Gamestops I’ve gone to in NYC have sold more than 5.

Not to mention, it dropped off the UK top 10 completely in only two weeks.

16. YoungZer0

@14: I was just reading the Wikipedia entry, i guess it didn’t include the Vergil version.

@15: Stop masturbating. Right. Now.

17. Hellhound30x

DMC is the best in the series… What Ninja Theory brought to the table was awesome! People “hating” on them for no apparent reason. They did an awesome, awesome job. Sometimes during the game I had to stop and just enjoy the world… just looking around.
    I really thought I was going to hate the game… and I couldn’t believe how well crafted the game is….
    it really is a work of art.

18. ManuOtaku

#17 Hellhound30x “(I can’t believe I’m even saying this… people know I was singing a very different tune last week.)”

Please dont said that, some people might say that you are under the influence of vg24/7, especially Dave and Brenna ;)

On a serious note, i think thats what the game needs an open mind free of any preconceptions, thats the least we can do as gamers, i think we will find a good game under it.

19. Hellhound30x

@18 ManuOtaku
    actually dude, I got into a whole debate on how i thought a “Demo” was more than enough to formulate a valid opinion.
    So One of the guys I was debating sent me a copy of DMC… I let the game sit around for 2 days before I even opened it.
    Either way the game speaks for itself. It doesn’t need Dave or Brenna to sell it…
    This is probably the best game Ninja Theory has made to date.
    Its solid game play, with tons of polish, great level design, animations are amazing…. I mean every time Dante swings his weapons it really looks like he is moving his body in a manner to hit with the most amount of impact his body can produce…
    the game is absolutely stunning!
    I can’t imagine a person hating it when they’be played it…
    it really is that good. There are some one liners that seem out of place, but for the most part the story is probably the best in the entire franchise.
    Vergil is a little weak, but they I think they did that on purpose, so if they made more DMC games they could build on that…
    I loved it! Thats all I can say, “Is I was wrong for judging it to harshly with just playing the demo.”

20. YoungZer0

@19: Glad to hear that there are people on the internet who can shallow their pride and admit that they have been wrong about something. I’m glad you’re enjoying the game, i know i do. I imagine you’re playing it on consoles?

Personally, i can’t wait to finally be able to play as Vergil.

21. DSB

It’s no skin off my back whether DMC is “good” or “bad” in the eyes of anyone, but I don’t think you can truly make that distinction before you’ve spent some time with the game.

It seems strange to me that everybody is in agreement that it isn’t selling through the roof, and yet the internets is alive with fans who hate it for seemingly everything.

Have they really played it?

If they have, that’s fair, but the sales would seem to suggest that a majority of fans from the previous games, didn’t. To me that raises the question whether some people are really just playing the h8er pot8er.

Awesome to see discussions go somewhere though. Respect, Hellhound.

22. Erthazus

“Personally, i can’t wait to finally be able to play as Vergil.”

that homosexual teenager from new reboot? OMG.

Maybe next time NT will finally have a hack and slash game with “Lock On” feature. LOL.

@17, People hate the game for a reason. I can name few (I finished the game):

1) Dumb characters
    2) Dumb story
    3) No Lock On feature (basically gameplay is worse then in previous DMC games)
    4) Cutscene, cutscene, cutscene 3 minutes of gameplay and shitty platforming where you use Angel or Demon weapon. Cutscene, cutscene, Cutscene
    5) Game is too fucking easy (on the hardest difficulty available from start). I died only 2 times in the game and not from monsters, but because game thought that I failed with quest.
    6) Bosses are generic fucks that does not require ANY strategy to kill them at all. They are all the same. Smash + Run away
    They tried something with that guy from TV but strategy ended when you knew what weapon you need to use.

and my PERSONAL favourite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aTQFpwZwk-w

From good parts i can name only “Morphing” and “Unreal Engine lightning” that has nothing to do with NT.

In DMC you can’t even smash stuff while in previous games you could. This new reboot is a failure. F A I L U R E

23. YoungZer0

@21: I actually caught our favorite graphic-whore Erthazus with his fat fingers in the cookie jar last time he complained about the game. He said he finished the game on his PS3 “this morning” and didn’t like it. He disliked the characters, especially Kat.

When asked what he didn’t like about her, he replied that we don’t know anything about her. Just that she’s a runaway. Nothing about her past, what she does, who she works for, etc.

Some of the things he mentioned you can already figure out by watching the trailers. Some of the other things you already know after 4 hours into the game. I informed him about that annnnnnnd silence. He said nothing. Just disappeared into the wild.

It’s sad, but you can definitely tell that most of the people here on VG247 who complain about it never actually played the finished product.

EDIT: Talk about the devil and all that. Still showing off your ignorance, huh? I can already tell you didn’t even check out the demo. Keep embarrassing yourself, you poor sod.

24. Erthazus

@23, Tard much? I played the game and finished it. Also I said that Kat was from the Order.

There is nothing about her past except that, Vergil aka “homosexual Nerd” saved her from stupid father. (angst cliche) and she tried to escape her nightmares in Limbo. blah blah blah and so on. Oh my Gawd. So much romantic stuff that I will blow myself in to pieces.

Ahh, we also know that she can use hew spray or whatever that can help her to walk in Limbo or whatever and her secret ingredient is?

SQUIRREL SEMEN – and I’m not joking. Good joke NT.

“I can already tell you didn’t even check out the demo.”

I never play demo. If I want to play a game I rent it or buy it. I finished that damn game on the hardest difficulty available at start. (third one)

25. YoungZer0

The “mysterious benefactor” would be Vergil, the guy you call the “homosexual Nerd”. It’s embarrassing that you didn’t even know that. The attention span of a 4 year old.

And I wonder, how many times have you used the word “gay” as an insult now? You think you’re clever or something? A sad piece of shit is what you are.

26. SameeR_Fisher

@#21 DSB: you bring interesting points regarding people judging the game without playing it, but here is the catch, let’s assume everyone who hated the game got it to play it and judge it, that means the game may have sold what, 3 millions ?!, assuming of course everyone bought the game, yet they still hated it -this is all assumption- then what ?!

Capcom would consider DmC to be a hit in the market, meaning DmC 2 will happen and it would forecast 5 millions copies to be sold, even if the fans voiced complaints against DmC after buying it, it would have sold well after all, and Capcom would assume those who are voicing or hating it are simply the minority.

Same thing happened with RE5, probably every single fan bought it, it was a very strong hit and the best selling RE title, and Capcom went ahead with RE6, but now it is getting lower sales, cause they considered they are doing great job with the Co-Op and Action, since RE5 sold so well.

We always say if you don’t like something, then vote with your wallet, cause at the end of the day that’s what really matters, so if DmC sales stay low, it is clear that people are not interested enough in it, or maybe judged it harshly, or didn’t like the demo, or whatever reason, it still shows there is no demand for DmC.2, which may make Capcom consider making DMC5 instead to appeal to those who were not interested in DmC.

27. DSB

@26 You can’t have it both ways.

Either you play the game, and then you get to argue with the people praising it, or you don’t, and you kinda have to accept that you’re just sticking with your own prejudice.

Of course you’re always free to speak, but there are a lot of different ways to go about doing it.

I bought, finished and hated Mass Effect 2, and I thought Mass Effect 3 looked just as bad, so I didn’t buy it. As a result I say different things about those games.

I can detail why I hate Mass Effect 2, whereas I have to own my bias when it comes to Mass Effect 3. I can’t say anything for sure, but I think it looks bad based on my experience with the previous game.

That’s a huge difference from countering a guy who actually played it and saying “Nah, it’s crap” when I haven’t seen half as much as he has.

Voting with your wallet only makes sense as long as you’re informed. If you don’t actually know what you’re voting on, then it doesn’t make a lot of sense either way.

28. YoungZer0

“which may make Capcom consider making DMC5 instead to appeal to those who were not interested in DmC.”

No. Actually it could mean the end for the franchise.

29. Ireland Michael

The only thing any of this is going to do is see the franchise shelved indefinitely.

30. SameeR_Fisher

@28 YoungZer0: That’s a possibility too, but that doesn’t mean that people who didn’t like it should just suck it up so they get more titles of something they don’t like, you know what I mean ?!

I know you love DmC and I respect that, but I am talking in general, the major amount of fans who didn’t buy the game clearly state they don’t like what DmC if offering, same thing with RE fans and RE6 sales,

@27: True Enough, but some people can argue you on some points, you can’t shut people cause they didn’t play the whole game, there were tons of footage, tons of gameplay, a demo, and the whole game is on Youtube, so people have a fairly good -maybe not perfect- understanding of what the game is all about.

“naaah, it’s crap” isn’t argument, those people should not be considered when debating on games and arguing, especially sine they tend to insult and curse.

People were informed, if all these footage, screens, and the demo are not to inform them, then what should ?!, there are even reviews to inform people, so no people are informed pretty well, and the final decision is up to them and they voted with their wallet on DmC.

Maybe the sales will suddenly rise ?!, I don’t know, but so far things are not looking good for DmC.

31. DSB

@30 It’s fine to blame Capcom for poor sales, poor demos and poor PR, that’s ultimately their responsibility.

What I’m looking at is people critisizing a game they’ve mostly only watched and read about. Watching videos and reading opinion may give you an intuitive sense of whether you like it or not, but it won’t give you anything close to the actual experience of playing the game.

Demos are a double sided sword. Personally I avoided Just Cause 2 until a major sale because the demo was poorly optimized. The actual game had none of those issues. Had the demo been better, I would’ve gladly paid full price.

Ultimately the quality of a demo is also the responsibility of the publisher and developer, and it may be enough for you to make up your mind, but judging the entire game on that basis still isn’t very reliable.

There’s a human aspect to all of those things, but I think it’s obvious that you haven’t played the game, until you’ve actually played the game. Until then you’re purely relying on others to tell you what it’s like, and that could mean informaton, or misinformation.

I think it’s wise to acknowledge that much before launching into an empassioned tirade against any game.

32. SameeR_Fisher

@31: I am not really denying anything, yes I read reviews, yes I watch tons of footage, and yes I make my opinion based on what I see and hear, Personally I can’t buy every single game that comes out, and I live in a country where renting isn’t present, so yeah I judge games based on what I have which may not be indicative of the whole experience sometimes.

A demo in itself is something for you to judge if you like the game or not, let’s see personally I am a God of War fan, but I don’t like Ascension, the MP isn’t my cup of tea, I tried the MP to make up my mind, still not convinced, there is the SP, but it is more of things I already know, I wanted to see how they will make GOW4 if they ever made one, or shift to Heavenly Swords 2 instead, that’s just me.

Also in my case I didn’t like DmC from the moment it was shown, I said my opinion many times, discussed it with my friends who shared my views as well, went to Capcom’s forum and gave my opinion, and that was it, it became kinda interesting later on, but not to the point of me buying it, so I am here, didn’t buy the game, I may not be able to argue the end quality of the game ((I played other Ninja Theory games like Enslaved which was awesome, and Heavenly Swords that was so-so)) but I can say that what Capcom presented me through the demo & the footage was not to my liking, hence why I didn’t buy it.

33. Hellhound30x

Who ever is saying the New DMC is too easy… well “Son of Sparda mode” finally felt like the difficulty level DMC 3 handed out… the first mission kicked my ass… well not really took me 3 tries to take out the boss. Still when I get to “Dante Must Die mode…” I think I might throw a controller a couple times… not easy at all…

34. DSB

@32 There’s a big difference between simply deciding whether to buy the game, and actually critisizing it.

One is a decision based on impression, the other is analysis.

I have no problem with people making that decision based on the perception of a game – that’s a challenge any product should have to overcome – but if they’re going to critisize the actual content, then I think people would look a lot smarter if they had actually played said content.

35. SameeR_Fisher

@34: can’t really disagree, cheers

36. Darkreaper

@Young Zero Actually I have played the game and if it so superior how come it still finding a way to zoom on Dante’s ass. In the old game this lovely thing called target system was used so I didn’t need the camera controls. If I have to fight the camera instead of the enemy npcs in any game there is a issue.

“Most reviewers do that as well, they just don’t think those points are enough not to buy the game or hate it as much as the “Fans” do.” The issue with that is they are reviewers and spend a majority of time playing the games to complete (not full completion either) not enjoy so many issues they might find will come off as run of the mill. A regular player wont see this as such since they have extra time to play and master the game so they see more of these issues and this can halt or pull them out of the experience.

The dev might call this a success in their eyes but the company will determine success overall correct? Plus I have finished hell and hell so you should check before making assumption of not playing. Its not ignorance just a let down for some.

Expectation as still a goal set forth by them that they would hope to achieve and 2 million should be fairly attainable reboot or not for familiar franchise that isn’t that old.

Also if you read my argument I never said not to by or hate the game just to understand a reason for its possible short comings.