Prince of Persia franchise is “being paused” for the time being

Tuesday, 29th January 2013 21:31 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Ubisoft has said the Prince of Persia franchise is “being paused” until it decides where the series should be taken next.

Speaking with IGN in an interview, Ubisoft Montreal CEO Yannis Mallat said not to worry, as this isn’t the first time the firm has given a franchise a well-deserved break.

“Brand management is a tricky thing,” he said. “It needs people’s attention a lot. I think it is fair to say that, right now, Prince of Persia is being paused. But we said the same thing for some other brands that suddenly popped up because a team is willing to do it.

“I’m not scared at all for Prince of Persia fans. We’ll find something to entertain them with in the future. Prince of Persia is part of Ubisoft’s portfolio. As a matter of fact, we sometimes iterate on franchises and sometimes we give them time to breathe and time to grow, or time to rest.”

Mallat said Prince of Persia “is as important as any other franchise for Ubisoft,” and as soon as there is something to show, it will be shown.

The last title to be released in the Prince of Persia series was The Forgotten Sands in 2010.

Back in August 2012, some screenshots purported to be from an in-development Prince of Persia game surfaced, but Ubisoft never commented on whether they were legitimate or not, and nothing else came from the leak.

1. Hellhound30x

Personally I think this is a smart move by Ubi Soft… until then, play Assassins Creed….

2. TD_Monstrous69

I can get why it is they’re doing it, though I did like the reboot they did back in 2008, though seeing as how that never really found a huge audience, oh well.

3. Anders

And we were all so excited to see the follow-up to Forgotten Sands.

4. Clupula

Hey, are Ninja Theory doing anything right now?

5. Fin

Pity, though they never really reached the heights of Sands of Time, and the reboot was meh :(

Man that’d fuckin awesome!!!

6. YoungZer0

I thought the series has pretty much become worthless with the introduction of the Assassins Creed games.

They should focus on creating new IP’s instead. Watch Dogs still looks amazing.

7. OmegaSlayer

The reboot was a little masterpiece.
    Not flawless but very charming, one of the games I enjoyed most this gen.

8. deathm00n

@7 Glad I’m not the only one to see the reboot was very good. I still remenber how breath taking the alchemist (or whatever name he was called) level was.

Instead of fighting hordes of enemies fighting one enemy at a time was a good change in my opinion. Every enemy was different from the last one.

9. Maximum Payne