Dead Space 3 has unlockable modes, “additional story”

Tuesday, 29th January 2013 19:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Dead Space 3 producer Steve Papoutsis has hinted at new DLC modes coming to the game post release, along with a “top secret additional story.”

Speaking in a developer’s blog post on the official page, Papoutsis said that while more information on this top secret additional story “will be coming in a few weeks,” he mentioned it may be “disturbing.”

He also outlined four unlockable game modes which become available once you have beaten the game.

New Game allows you to start new game with all earned upgrades and your arsenal, the other is Classic Mode with a nod to Dead Space 1 players. It contains zero crafting, is single-player only, and all weapons have to be built from blueprints found in the game.

Pure Survival Mode was also mentioned, and in it, enemies will only drop resources – no ammo, health, or weapon parts. Players will have to choose what to craft when they come across a work bench.

A Hardcore Mode was also listed, which gives the player only one life for the entire campaign.

Big thanks to NeoGAF for spotting this.

Dead Space 3 releases on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 in early February.

1. Wezzulus

Maybe the DLC is a sequel to the Severed DLC.

2. Maximum Payne

Survival Mode sounds fun.

3. theevilaires

I know a lot of people don’t like the direction Dead Space has been going into but I don’t mind. Why spend all that brain power trying to come up with ways of scaring people just give us good action. The demo was fun and a good selling point. Not too long or confusing it was just right.

Hardcore Mode is interesting though. I still have to complete that in Dead Space 2.

4. Edo

Since the game is coming out next week I’m guessing story DLC …or maybe microtransaction kind of disturbing.

5. Clupula

Still never found the time to complete Hardcore mode in DS2.

6. Telepathic.Geometry

@TEA and Clupula: Me neither, but in the run-up to DS3 coming out, I’m tidying up all of the trophies. That wil be last on my list. I just think of the Ishimura bit and think fuck me, how in the name of hell will I get through that in hardcore mode…

On topic, I welcome these different play-modes. They really give a long-life to the games… Only 1 save for hardcore mode though? That is fucking brutal.

7. deathm00n

Now my wish to buy the game has come back to me. These modes are very interesting.

8. YoungZer0

Am i the only one who thinks the first enemy you encounter is outrageously uncreative? I mean you shoot him and his torso explodes and he has three spiky tentacles. Three spiky tentacles walking, without a head or anything on two legs.

That’s … my godchild can come up with a better design.