PS Plus: buy a year’s subscription, get three months free

Monday, 28th January 2013 17:10 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation Plus just got a rather sweet list of deals for February today, but Sony has piled on the generosity further in a new subscription package.

Shacknews reports that if you buy a year’s subscription to PS Plus between now and March 4th, Sony will give you an extra three months on top at no additional cost. None to shabby no?

That’s it. Short, but sweet. What do you make of today’s PS Plus announcements? Let us know below.

1. monkeygourmet

All this makes me wonder if Sony’s PS4 will be purely subscription based.

It would enable them to put out a more expensive console and not lose as much in the long run.

It really looks like they are going that way. Or, next gen they will charge for online and they are just making it more attractive for people to have or sign up to plus so they don’t realise or care.

What’s the rough percentage of PS3 owners who don’t have plus for those that do I wonder?

2. monkeygourmet

Also, what do devs get back from this, apart for maybe reaching a bigger audience?

Do Sony pay them off or a percentage of overall plus sales?

3. DrDamn

I would guess Sony give them a predetermined fee. A lot of games realistically aren’t going to earn much more and participating in PS+ gives them new income and a chance to sell more DLC. In fact releases on PS+ are often tied to related DLC specials. So its all low cost to the pub/dev and high value to the consumer. Its a great little model and one others should pick up.

4. ManuOtaku

Monkey like in the previous related topic prior today, i hope they keep the two options available, one with subscription and one without it, so we can have a choice, and also to keep everybody happy, and this goes for sony and microsoft, if they do it, i mean only susbscritions while cesing physical media, i think for the first time, i will not own all the consoles in the same gen, i will do it with just the WiiU, i hope this will not be the case at all.

And this lead me to other question, how a subscription model will work in other regions, like latin/south america, or the middle east?

5. monkeygourmet

It is good, I was just wondering if it can scare off devs.

What with this AND cross play on Vita, it’s very good for the customer but thought it may have hurt the dev from a profit perspective, greedy people are greedy.

6. Dragon246

Unlike a sub service that provides nothing and another one that doesn’t even exist properly.

@3,
    I agree, it works like that most probably. But really, who cares? Awesome games at dirt cheap sub for an entire year, it just cant get better than this.

@Manu,
    Sub only is just not happening. Some wisecracks have crooked views here, and are always wrong, you don’t need to listen to that. Eve in my country, sub based hardware don’t exist. As an alternative, it may happen, but not at the expense of current selling methods.
    Or, just wait till E3. :)
    Why hear nobodies who only predict doom?

7. monkeygourmet

That depends if your wife lets you buy a next gen console?! :D (joke!)

8. monkeygourmet

‘Unlike a sub service that provides nothing and another one that doesn’t even exist properly’…

You obviously don’t follow your own advice troll boy

9. monkeygourmet

The reason it matters is if Sony are trying to make out games are selling x amount of games when in actual fact it’s split between x play and real sales.

No one answered that properly in the PSA thread yesterday?

Not saying they do, but things like that can scare devs off if they feel they can make more money on a rival system.

10. theevilaires

Sign me up! If SONY’s selling I’m buying baby :D

11. DrDamn

For PS+ devs are actually making money they wouldn’t of otherwise. How many PS+ subs were realistically going to buy Sleeping Dogs still? With PS+ they can get a nice lump sum plus some renewed DLC sales to people who don’t mind the cost considering how much they paid for the main game. Its all low cost to them too, no cost to manufacture and distribute and what they are hoovering up more is money from people who may have bought second hand otherwise.

With Cross Buy I would guess Sony would offer marketing and promotion incentives, and maybe make developing for both platforms simultaneously cheaper through common tools.

12. Deacon

I like that I get to try some stuff that I otherwise would’ve ignored. We all need a varied diet.

13. polygem

@ Dragon: RIGHT NOW. let´s stop it here:

Monkey is trying to have a discussion here. he´s all polite. pointing out positives and negatives…his opinion…what this site should be all about.

now look at your comment:

“Best sub in existence for gaming. Great value for consumers, what more can you ask for?”

sony marketing.
    then you go on:

“Some wisecracks have crooked views here, and are always wrong, you don’t need to listen to that.”

“smart ass” attacking.

then you will end up saying: look at those nintendogs they derail EVERY Sony thread..

No kid, it´s always you who starts this shit.

back on topic: i just checked the + offers for febuary. i am tempted. it is a great deal but i think it´s really worth it if you own a vita as well.

14. Dragon246

^Nintendog needs to bark, even on Sony articles. So much for ignoring my comments kid. You are clearly incapable of following your own words.

Oh, and I have stopped responding to trolls who cant even sum up their views in 3 consecutive comments.

15. PEYJ

when clicking at the 12 month sub it doesn’t say anything about 3 extra months ?

16. polygem

i never said that i will always ignore you. i said it´s sad that it seems like it´s the only solution to deal with you.
    but you are ignoring like a champ here as well. now. did you read what i just said? does it make sense to you or do you just want to play namecalling again. woof woof. *waiting for the quote – the evidence – the dragontruth*

17. Dragon246

@15,
    Check ps blog.

18. monkeygourmet

Better than with 3 separate accounts.

It’s easy to ignore people when you talk to yourself I guess.

19. monkeygourmet

The PSP Go was Sony’s first attempt at trying an all digital gaming model.

The PS Vita even offered a phone like contract service with the 3G version.

Sony has just purchased GaiKai and is obviously trying to make its plus service more attractive by offering these deals plus features like cross play.

Microsoft have started subscriptions with the 360.

Only an idiot wouldn’t see this is a potential for next gen, it would enable a more powerful launch console and would potentially stop companies having to offer costly price drops every year or so on hardware.

20. ManuOtaku

#7 monkey thats not even funny, it is quite the opposite so sad, although i can do a WiiU move, i mean buy one in secrecy ;).

21. Dragon246

Since you like to gloat, take a bet. Ask the mods to check the ip addresses and find out if I use an alt account. If I am guilty, I will leave this lovely site, if not you will pack your packs out of here.
    Although I know you won’t have the balls to accept this since like trolls, you like to hypothesize a lot of gibberish.

22. PEYJ

vg247 should have stated that this offer only applies to the US PSN. There is nothing about it on the EU blog.

23. Dragon246

Eu has discounted the sub too.

24. monkeygourmet

Need mods to know your not doing any bullshit tricks or have deleted accounts etc…

Go for it, place has become polluted with trolls .

25. ManuOtaku

Monkey yes the PSP go was a first attempt, but in the case of the PSP go for what i do understand is that the device let you have the games saved on a memory card, therefore you have access to the games without the restrain of an subscription or an account, you can play the games in and out, which is very different to PSN plus or the steam box for example, something that they might enhance in the future, i dont mind right now PSN and XBLA because thats the way it works too, you have the games installed on your device, and you can play them in or out / on and off, not always connected or tie to an account always connected thing, thats what i dont like.

26. DrDamn

@MG
    Gaikai could well be used to get over the issue of PS4 not having a nice back catalog to push and likely not supporting backward compatibility. Not sure they can afford to support the infrastructure costs though.

27. DrDamn

You don’t need to be always connected for PS+ you know. Get a years sub and games are marked as expiring when your sub does, so you can play them off line, on line whatever.

28. polygem

“Let’s do it, I’m almost out anyway. As I’m on the verge of leaving due to the same idiots recycling the same bullshit, I’m due to move onto fresh pastures anyway.
    (…) place has become polluted with trolls .”

i couldn´t agree more. as much as i love this site, i am thinking about just leaving it more and more recently. it´s kind of sad. any alternative tips?

29. PEYJ

@ Dragon

It doesn’t indicate so on Plus side on the store.

30. monkeygourmet

Not really, gaming wise.

My girlfriend writes for Lasertime, will spend more time on there! :)

And Miiverse! Especially when they launch the custom forum creation system! ;)

I think that’s where their going with Gaikai, I can’t see them putting a separate CELL into PS4 for b/c.

One thing I would like to see that was my favourite feature of ONLIVE was the 30 second game capture.

If you pressed a button on the controller it would automatically upload the last 30 seconds of gameplay that you could share for bragging rights or if you did something weird or cool! Was an awesome feature IMO and the Wii U has got closest so far with the screenshot upload.

Rumours suggest MS will adopt this as the reported specs include some kind of recording hardware in the console, could be a killer feature especially combined with Call of Duty.

I did an interview with the ONLIVE guy at Eurogamer and in the closed system demo, this feature really stood out.

Also interviewed Chet Faliszek from Valve about Counter Strike, was really funny as I didn’t know who he was lol, he looked miffed I wasn’t star struck! ;)

31. gomersoul

why are people threatening to leave this site because of the community that comment in articles? don’t read them, just read the gaming news that this site puts together well.. on topic, ps plus is excellent for me, can’t see ps4 being much different… psn being free is a massive selling point for the ps3

32. monkeygourmet

Not threatening, just believe Dragon is using an alt account based on a few threads recently.

If I’m wrong ill happily move along. Still waiting for him to run and get a mod to verify it.

33. daytripper

@31 or print out a particular comment section and use it as toilet paper :-)

34. DrDamn

I did try onlive once. Due to server location it was a fairly poor experience, but the best bit about it was the capture stuff. I spent longer looking at peoples clips than I did playing. This sort of feature has been implemented in a fair few games, from Halos theatre mode to CoD and Just Cause 2 on PS3 supporting YouTube uploads (that was via Sony libraries). Bringing it into a central OS forum cross game (ala Miiverse) is where it will shine though.

35. monkeygourmet

I spent far too long trying to capture people’s limbs flying off in Ninja Gaiden 3 on Wii U last night! :)

The screenshot capture is genius!

36. Dragon246

@29,
    The discount will start from feb 6th.

@24,
    Your prerogative, since you stated I used alt accounts. Prove it now.
    Unless you just like to bark nonsense without proof.

37. monkeygourmet

How do I go about doing that, sounds like your backtracking my friend.

38. Da Man

Typical Sony: buy a year of their useless renting service, get even more of the shitty offerings.