Elder Scrolls Online beta sign-ups open, new trailer live

Tuesday, 22nd January 2013 15:02 GMT By Dave Cook

The Elder Scrolls Online beta sign-ups are now open, giving players a chance to register their interest in Bethesda’s sprawling MMORPG. CGI troupe Blur – of Dishonored trailer fame – have created a new trailer to mark the occasion. You can watch it and get beta sign-up details below.

First up, here’s the trailer:

Lovely isn’t it?

To sign up for The Elder Scrolls Online beta, simply fast-travel over to the official Elder Scrolls site.

Bethesda will select registered users to be inducted into the game’s beta – which is yet to be dated – and notify them of their successful entry. We’ll update once we know more about when the beta phase is kicking off.

Matt Firor, game director of The Elder Scrolls Online said of the beta announcement, “We’re really excited to get the game into players’ hands. We receive invaluable feedback through the beta process, and that helps us ensure that the game will be one of the best online gaming experiences ever offered – one worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise.”

Set in one persistent world, The Elder Scrolls Online will play home to many familiar factions from across the series. Bethesda released a trailer that showed the Aldmeri Dominion, Daggerfall Covenant, and Ebonheart Pact at war, along with insight from the developer. Watch it here.

What’s your opinion on the game so far? Do the bright visuals belie the tone of the core Elder Scroll titles, or does it appear to be shaping up nicely? Let us know what you think below.

1. OnionPowder

This is the correct website to sign up for the beta.

2. Erthazus

This trailer does an incredible job To not register for the beta.
    Game on the screens/trailers was generic as hell and this trailer is generic as hell and has nothing to do with Elder Scrolls. Some generic fighting going on without any reason at all. No substance or anything that has Elder Scrolls atmosphere.

It’s not Elder Scrolls and I won’t register to this generic MMO beta.

3. Telepathic.Geometry

Trailer is great and really excites me. Can’t wait for this movie to come out…

4. Erthazus

@3, :D haha. I actually thought that it is generic as hell. It’s like any other CGI trailer where cool kids fighting going on with swords and magic.

5. Talkar

Well, my right ear had a blast watching this trailer x)

6. Fin

in b4 “this isn’t proper elder scroll”

dammit!!!

7. theevilaires

why can’t they just make a Skyrim thats like 3 to 4 player max co-op instead of trying to get you to join some dumb MMORPG and milk you every month for a fee. Skyrim would have gotten my GOTY for 2011 if it had co-op but obviously this was their plan all alone so fuck this. If theres one dev I’d love to choke the shit out of this gen for their shady lazy asses its Bethesda.

8. tmac2011

pretty cool id say do it for xbox live but they prolly cant do it

9. GrimRita

I remember just how amazing the SWTOR trailer was. All CGI and fucking awesome. Then the game came out and it all ended in tears.

From this trailer I get the ‘group in cave on quest to collect 50 Wolf Paws’…

10. GwynbleiddiuM

I’m skeptical, I said that many times, but I signed up and wanna try it. I have many WoW clones in my time what’s the hurt of trying another.

11. fearmonkey

I will play this game simply to see all the locations from the previous games and for future games. I really hope it doesnt suck. This trailer doesnt fill me with confidence as the sound is hosed with the right side being favored and the trailer as Erth notes has absolutely nothing elder scrollish in it.

Seriously, this is the best trailer they could make? completely meh!!

12. CyberMarco

I wonder when we’ll get in-game graphics like those…

13. Kabby

All audio on right speaker only. Good job.

14. Sini

There is nothing unique about the Elder Scrolls universe, so the generic trailer fits right in.

15. Zohar

I’ll sign up for the beta but there’s no way in hell I’d every buy or play this game for actual money. Not even because it’s “not elder scrolls.” I actually think it looks kind of cool.

That said, every MMO I’ve actually bought and spend money on because I thought it looked cool ended up being ultimately either straight up bad, or just fizzled out almost immediately (DCU Online/Star Trek Online, I’m looking at you).

I just don’t have any interest in playing an MMO long-term now that City of Heroes is dead.

16. Puggy

Yeah, well you can’t show your “cool innovative revolutionary” System in a trailer before you launch your game, else everyone would copy it. That said, it really does have a certain SWTOR side taste. I mean the CGIs there were great and cool, the game itself then did not really deliver, sadly. At least for me it did not.

I do hope I am wrong, since I liked playing around in Skyrim, but I doubt the mmo can be even close to the singleplayer experience. What I try to say there is, that in the singleplayer experience I was “everything” I could get better just by crafting, I could sneak up on enemies an instant kill them. Enemies were not standing in packs of 2-4 at some place where I “had” to go. And even if they were, at some point you were so incredibly powerful with your self forged, self enchanted daedra and dragon equipment, enemies could hardly touch you anymore.
    Doubt you will get that feeling in the MMO. In fact you will most likely rather feel like being one of those faceless Bandits you used to Bow-Sniper, backstab or sword to death in their fortresses.

But let us not be hastey to judge the game. Maybe we are all wrong and it will really offer something new.