Disney Infinity vs Skylanders: Activision “flattered” by new rival

Wednesday, 16th January 2013 00:04 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Disney Infinity has a lot of parallels with Skylanders, Activision’s goldmine “toys to life” debut, but the publisher doesn’t seem too worried about its new competitor.

“We are thrilled by the incredible success that the Skylanders franchise has had in such a short period of time. We are also flattered that one of the leading family entertainment companies is joining our toys to life category,” consumer marketing boss John Coyne said in a statement issued to Forbes when asked about Disney Infinity;s reveal today.

“We continue to focus on delivering innovative and immersive entertainment experiences to kids around the world and are pouring more creativity into our games. As a result we are well positioned to continue leading the category.”

Skylanders was almost solely responsible for an enormous surge in accessories sales in 2011 and early 2012, but despite the release of sequel Skylanders Giants, didn’t have such a hefty impact on 2012 US retail figures.

1. monkeygourmet

Why Nintendo hasn’t announced this with Pokemon is beyond me.

Shit, that would just make infinite monies for them. Especially if the toys were sold in Pokeballs, so you wouldn’t know if you had a new / rare one till you open it.

The Wii U has the scanner built in to the pad. The could even sell a stadium add-on…

2. LuLshuck

is it just me or do both games have a really shit character design to them? atleast overall game doesnt look like shit

3. OlderGamer

@MG +1

To tell the truth I would get excited for a proper Gauntlet reboot. That is what Skylanders actual gameplay reminds me of. A new Gauntlet with fully upgradable chars with levels, skill tree, and iteams…yes please!

4. monkeygourmet

Oldergamer is now ‘IT’!

I love gauntlet! :)

5. polygem

lol, loving gauntlet too. great soundtrack!
    that said, i think skylanders even is a good game. i don’t want to buy and store all those figurines but it’s a fun little game for sure.

pokelanders is so happening. it’s a no brainer and just a matter of time i think. maybe we’ll even see more like that with mario, kirby, samus…figurines. don’t know what to think about this really. i think it would make a great opinion piece for vg247 :)

6. silkvg247

Interesting comments about gauntlet.. my next game project was going to be pretty much what @3 describes.

7. OlderGamer

Keep us posted silk, I love games like that. Far too few of them on the market, imo.

8. theevilaires

Didn’t this skyland stuff spin off from Spyro? If so how much is SONY and Insomniac kicking themselves in the ass. I heard this skyland stuff makes huge bucks. Activision is just rolling in a bed of money. If I was an exec for that company I would sleep on a million dollars cold hard cash on my bed every night.

Anyway good luck Disney competition is always good I guess.

9. OlderGamer

It was a really smart move by Acti, going in this direction.

We all know the WiiU gamepad is capible of reading/scaning things. So like you guys I fully expect to see something from Nintendo like this too. I think they have been planing it for a long time. Prolly a Pokemon game, but could also work for a lot of other games from Mario Party to Smash bros to maybe a brand new IP involving Nintendos chars.

Ironic tho, in a day when digital is all the rage, for there to be such a strong link with retail in these games. Maybe that was part of the plan to begin with.

10. DrDamn

@OG
    “maybe a brand new IP involving Nintendos chars”

Yeah right, good one. ;) Sorry couldn’t resist.