Nintendo shares up 5.6% due to December NPD results

Friday, 11th January 2013 15:06 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo shares are up 5.6% due to US sales figures released by NPD last night.

Bloomberg reports its the largest jump in company shared since September 18; however, Tokai Tokyo Securities feels the gain may be “short-lived unless [Nintendo] can sustain sales momentum.”

Last night, Nintendo reported Wii U moved 460,000 units in the US in December 2012, with life-to-date sales of 890,000 since its November 18 release, generating over $300 million in hardware sales.

Over 1.25 million 3DS units were sold in the US for the month of December, bringing its US lifetime sales to 7.7 million.

Wii contributed $270 million in sales for December, moving 475,000 units. Overall, the system as moved 40.8 million units life-to-date.

1. OlderGamer

They sure look doomed to me…

2. G1GAHURTZ

Yep. Sure do.

3. Francis O

You know how gamers are. If something doesn’t sell a million copies in a day or two, its doomed. Anyway…. wait till Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Zelda, and Nintendo’s heavy hitter come out. Then we’ll see how their stock is affected.

4. polygem

launch was good…not wii like but good.

“…and the total global figure can be estimated at somewhere around 2.5 million, perhaps nudging towards 3 million.”

5. Ljink

I don’t know why people trash Nintendo every time their systems come out. They’ve been doing this for over 25 years starting with colorTV box! I think they know what they’re doing. It’ll take more than a “mediocre” launch to doom Nintendo. You forget to mention their handheld market which they’re dominating on the PSVita. If anybody is doomed it’s Sony’s next Playstation.

6. Nfanboy

@5 I agree completely.

It looks to me that many videogames “so called” journalists keep reporting that Nintendo is doomed or that the Wii U will be crushed by the PS4/720. And this is RIDICULOUS ! It won’t happen. Nintendo has been around for a century, Sony will disappear before Nintendo will ever do.

Even someone like Patcher, a “supposed” analyst claimed that Nintendo was going to “dreamcast themselves” of the videogames industry. This is RETARDED. Even if the Wii U fails – and NOTHING at this stage could give any indication of that happening – Nintendo will be fine. Nintendo has 10 billion in cash… 10 BILLION !!! And they would simply disappear like that ?

Terrible that constant anti-Nintendo bashing…

7. polygem

@5,6: i agree with you…#1 is just joking…

8. OlderGamer

I was being sarcastic, Poly is right.

I get sick of all of the Nintendo bashing too. Nintendo stock went up, while other companies have been facing delisting, reductions, and even junk bond ratings.

Nintendo is fine.

9. Ljink

Feels like Codename: Kids Nextdoor on this site. “get over here #1″ anyway I know OlderGamer was kiddin’. I’m just sick of everyday I see something about Nintendo sucking even though they don’t. Nobody ever mentions Sony and Microsoft stocks because they sell more than videogames. If Nintendo even falls a bit everybody jumps them even though all they do is sell videogames! Microsoft has phones, WINDOWS, and tablets. Sony has TVs, headphones, and all kind of media. I just don’t think it’s fair that all the haters words are overshadowing the people who like Nintendo. I don’t want either company to fail.