DmC has low entry level for new users, says Capcom

Friday, 4th January 2013 11:49 GMT By Dave Cook

DmC: Devil May Cry is a reboot and therefore it has a tricky job of convincing long-time fans to return and to get a new wave of players through the door. How does one achieve such a tricky balance? Capcom believes the key is to make the barrier for entry low, but to retain a solid challenge. The publisher has discussed its approach in a new interview.

Speaking with OXM, combat designer Rahni Tucker said of the series challenging appeal, “When I looked at videos of pro-players playing the old DmCs, they’re always in the air, they’re always juggling enemies around, and doing stuff that most of us look at and think ‘I have no idea how that works’.

“We wanted to take that magic the pro-players could create and give more casual players a bit of that feeling. A bit extra hang-time, more aerial moves, the launch button is a single press without a lock-on.”

To be fair, we’ve played DmC at preview stage and while the essential fundamentals of Dante’s skill-set are easy to follow, stringing together mind-crushing combos that hit the top SSS rank is a different challenge altogether. It gets insanely tough to reach those high ranks once you factor in all of Dante’s weapons and varying enemy types.

DmC veterans will scoff at the idea of an accessible game in the series but make no mistake, this is still a difficult game once you flip the difficulty up and face tougher enemies.

Regardless, game director at Capco Hideaki Itsuno stated that he felt this balance was needed, as he felt DmC’s combat put many players off the franchise, “As the series has gone we’ve seen new users die out, as it took longer to get into it. When it came time to make DMC 4, with the new hero and new moves, new techniques and skills, not many new fans entered the series.

“But with this new DmC, you can take the techniques built up during the old series, and the bar to entry for new users is very low. Both old and new fans will be able to enjoy the game, and I’m very proud of them.”

Have you tried the DmC demo? What do you make of the combat? Let us know below ahead of the game’s January 15th launch.

1. Greek God

“stringing together mind-crushing combos that hit the top SSS rank is a different challenge altogether.”

yes its easier than never before LMAO
    No seriously just demon dodge and use the axe and BAM SSS

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dark

This games has a great level designs , too bad everything else looks average.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dave Cook

@1 have you played the full game yet? I have. I’m under embargo so all I can say is that you’re incorrect.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Greek God

3#
    tameem said the demo would be the final product and wont be fixed.
    so everything i could do in the demo will be in the full game aswell

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dave Cook

@4 sigh…as in the full game. The demo is an early stage. It gets so much harder from there. How anyone can think they can know all there is about a game from the demo is beyond me. Actually mental.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Greek God

no its called logic
    if im able to wreck everything with the axe and get SSS on enemys
    it will be the same with harder enemys too.
    yeah you re right im sure later in the game will be of course fast/harder enemys aswell but that doesnt change the axe problem to hit the highest rank with only 2-3 hits

but maybe NT/Capcom wanted that for newcomers so they dumped it down i dont know.

#6 1 year ago
  7. bitsnark

I really can’t remember the last time a game was greeted by such an impenetrable wall of ignorance as DmC has been.

Honestly, sober the fuck up you bunch of silly monkeys and try to envision something else other than the worst case scenario.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Dave Cook

@6 Those enemies that you fought are puny compared to what you fight later. Seriously, it gets much harder.

Yeah it probably is to stop gamers getting dumped on, but that’s what’s called a learning curve, it’s good game design.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Clupula

I much prefer getting my ass kicked at the very beginning like DMC3 did to me. I loved that it took me three or four tries to kill the first boss in that game. It was a nice way of telling me that I better be ready to work for it if I wanted to progress. This one? The demo did not do the game any favors.

Ah well, soon this game will be out, it can underperform, and we can never hear about it again.

#9 1 year ago
  10. freedoms_stain

@6, “I can beat easy enemies easily therefore I will be able to beat hard enemies easily” is shockingly poor logic.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Ireland Michael

@9 Yeah, and that’s why all the games had Easy Automatic modes if you sucked at it.

All the Devil May Cry games have had cop-out difficulty options for those who couldn’t stomach the challenge. Don’t act like this is some new thing.

#11 1 year ago
  12. KrazyKraut

I must say that I was one of the haters until e3 2012, but after that I was excited and after playing the demo I pre-ordered it. Yes, I am not a fan of dantes new look and for me its not a “Devil May Cry”, but I like it.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Dave Cook

@9 “it can underperform”

I wouldnt be too hasty on that one.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Greek God

10#
    you dont get it …
    im talking here about the Style meter
    it doesnt matter for the meter if you fight weak enemys or late game super enemys because the S. Meter looks at the damage you make and nothing else.

And we all know the axe is Dontes strongest weapon

9#
    agree with you
    the SoS mode in DmC should have been normal-hard mode
    the game is too easy for a DMC standard so im not interested in it..

#14 1 year ago
  15. Dave Cook

@14 No it doesn’t. It’s all about style and variety. If you use the axe constantly you get lower points with each axe hit. You have to mix up each weapon, parries and dodge rolls to get higher ranks.

You are 100% wrong on this, seriously. Take it from someone who has played the full game for many hours.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Gheritt White

Tbh, I found the demo too hard, so as much as I love the setting and premise, I won’t be buying it due to the gameplay.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Deacon

@14 but don’t you think it might be somewhat more difficult to simply spam Dante’s strongest weapon without getting hit and/or mauled to death later in the game?

I’d be shocked if that weren’t the case. Your logic still seems pretty flawed. Judging an entire game from a demo is flawed, whichever way you look at it.

#17 1 year ago
  18. ShowUsYourLunch

@15 tbh the only thing that i thought was “bad” in the demo was the frame rate etc, and that isn’t a deal breaker imo. Is it fix’d in the final copy?

#18 1 year ago
  19. Greek God

lol you really think i dont know that?
    why do you try to spinn this so hard? and ignore what i talk about the whole time?
    the axe is unbalanced for the style meter because it the strongest weapon right? so why work hard like 20 hit combo to get to SSS when i can demon dodge + axe to get their instantly ..
    from there on it doesnt matter if you still use the axe or any other weapon because the SSS rank doesnt drop anymore unless you get hit!

17#
    not really because dontes dodge has in DmC a LOT of invincibility frames

#19 1 year ago
  20. Faceless

Yeah, Dave, you’re misunderstanding here.

#1 was talking about the style meter, whereas you were talking about the actual difficulty of the encounters (i.e. enemy tactics, health bar vs. the player’s arsenal and skill).

Starting with 3, the Style meter became an integral part of the game and added a whole new dimension to combat in that you not only had tough enemies to worry about, but you could also choose to focus on being stylish (which required careful positioning and combo variation). It was a way to challenge yourself past the difficulty settings.

So far, the demo and all footage shown of DmC shows that the style aspect is an afterthought in this one. Jump cancels in particular are pretty badly done. Imagine a Street Fighter game with dysfunctional crossups or with a poorly done Super meter. It’s not exactly excusable.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Gadzooks!

I thought the demo was actually okay, from a technical perspective.

It looks like NT have finally managed to produce an acceptable combat engine that isn’t sluggish and unresponsive, and their trademark tearing is practically nonexistant.

I’ve no interest in playing DMC, but it’s good that they have learned how to code a game instead of just idolising Andy Serkis in cutscenes.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Ireland Michael

@19 He’s played the full game.

Have you?

#22 1 year ago
  23. Dave Cook

@20 No I was talking about the style meter :)

Greek God said that it as based on Dante’s damage output. It isn’t, it’s based on move variety. He’s incorrect.

@18 yeah it’s much slicker.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Greek God

yeah im incorrect ?
    ok please watch this:

lol

#24 1 year ago
  25. Dave Cook

@24 Yes you are. I have the game. I’ve been playing it for hours. The tutorial even says in plain English that over-using a weapon or move will result in less style points. It’s based on variety, not damage output.

I can keep on repeating myself if that’ll help?

#25 1 year ago
  26. Faceless

It does take damage into account, much like earlier DMCs also took it into account. You were rewarded if you attacked multiple foes. The problem is that DmC puts too much emphasis on it and heavy-hitting attacking like the axe’s shoot the style metre up too quickly.

There are other problems. Mind taking a look until 1:03? The variety is there, the player is even good enough to show that jump cancels are broken, but the style climbs up too slowly. Note the ludicrously long-lasting Helm breaker frames at the end as an added bonus.

You can’t say that is not wrong, unless that’s fixed in the final build.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Greek God

25#
    ok you either ignoring me or you dont understand it at all
    i give up

the video is proof enough good day to you

#27 1 year ago
  28. ShowUsYourLunch

@24 im gunna go with the guy who’s played the final V. dont see why he’d lie. id say its a just a thing with the demo is all. like with the screen tearing and so on.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Greek God

28#
    the thing is Tameem said the demo will be the same as the final product no fixes. If i remember correct he said that on twitter

#29 1 year ago
  30. ShowUsYourLunch

@25 anywho dave, 2013 is looking good for the hack n slash. DMC Bayonetta 2 and MGR:R YEEWWW!

#30 1 year ago
  31. ShowUsYourLunch

@29 only a week and a half and we can all find out for ourselves :)

#31 1 year ago
  32. Dave Cook

@26 That’s because the axe has moves that hit multiple foes and breaks through guards, so of course that would count for a higher style rating.

What I’m saying is that the style meter isn’t boosted by individual hit damage, and that every subsequent hit of the axe in a combo chain will reward you with less score each time. Variety is the key to keeping the tally up, not higher damage.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Greek God

there is no variety needed once you hit SSS dude pls
    the meter doesnt drop anymore only when you get hit

“@29 Correct. But the demo is half of one stage of the final game. It’s not representative of everything you will encounter.”
    the style meter will stay the same no fix for the axe.
    there ARE balance problems here but a lot of people here as i see just dont care..

#33 1 year ago
  34. Dave Cook

@33 ‘once you hit sss’

You didn’t say that before, at first you were talking about hitting combos to reach SSS. Of course it doesn’t go higher once you hit SSS, that’s the top rank.

Once the enemies get more diverse – including enemies totally invulnerable to the axe – it gets much harder to hit higher ranks. Variety becomes vital as some enemies require a specific weapon to kill.

#34 1 year ago
  35. Faceless

But the point is that the axe shoots the style meter up even if it hits a single foe, even if it has no guard. Your claim about variety has already been addressed by the video I linked above, where crazy move variety and player skill either doesn’t nudge the meter or does so at a surprisingly slow pace.

You have the full game, fire it up, experiment. I understand you have to maintain an interest in the game before the embargo lifts, but there’s no need to read the back of the box to us. That’s Capcom’s job.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Greek God

“including enemies totally invulnerable to the axe – it gets much harder to hit higher ranks.”
    true

” Variety becomes vital as some enemies require a specific weapon to kill.”

and thats another downside of DmC the game limits my style of playing by saying you can only kill the fire dude with the axe or gaunlets or you can only kill the ice dude with the scythe or the rings.

for a game called devil may cry thats bad game design.
    Because its all about the style i choose to play isnt it?
    i dont have that freedom anymore in DmC

#36 1 year ago
  37. Dave Cook

@35 It’s not my job to convince you that the game is good. It’s my job to tell you the facts, and the fact is that Greek God is basing his assumption of the game’s style meter on the demo.

There are enemies that take no damage from certain weapons about a third in. Once they appear you absolutely have to switch weapons constantly to hit SSS ranks. You’ll see what I mean when you try the full game. You cannot simply spam the axe to get SSS rank for the full game.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Greek God

Faceless

thx for helping ha :)

#38 1 year ago
  39. Dave Cook

@38 laugh all you want pal, doesn’t make me any less right ;)

#39 1 year ago
  40. Clupula

I love how at first when they told us about the game, it was, “Wait until you see some gameplay.” Then when we saw gameplay and weren’t impressed, it was, “Wait until you play the demo.” Then when we played the demo and weren’t impressed it’s, “Wait until you play the full game.”

I don’t know how many times it’s going to take to realize that the game just isn’t impressive to anyone who has been a long-time fan of the series. The gameplay, which is the most important part of it, is just as lacking as the story and characters. I gave it a chance. I played the demo with an open mind, fully prepared to buy the game if the gameplay outweighed everything else. It doesn’t.

If this weren’t a DMC game, it would still be mediocre.

#40 1 year ago
  41. Greek God

39#
    oh i wasnt laughing about you im just happy im not the only one trying to make some things clear about DmC.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Dave Cook

@40 I’m a long time fan of the series. It has impressed me. We’ve just got to this stage now where anyone saying positive things about it is either:

a) being bribed by Capcom
    b) not a real gamer
    c) a troll
    d) a fanboy

Are people not allowed positive opinions any more? (not aimed at you btw Clupula)

#42 1 year ago
  43. Dave Cook

@41 I have to clarify as well that at no point in this thread was I having an actual go at you. We are all allowed our own thoughts about games here after all. Just some good, old-fashioned debate. It’s good for the soul, after all :)

#43 1 year ago
  44. ShowUsYourLunch

@43 Are you playing it on 360 or Ps3?

#44 1 year ago
  45. Greek God

sure i agree^^

#45 1 year ago
  46. Deacon

I personally really enjoyed the demo (though I confess to not having had the time to try the boss battle). I struggled with the originals as I simply wasn’t that good at them and didn’t invest the time required, so I guess not being a hardcore fan has so far helped me enjoy the reboot.

The demo did seem a tad easy, but haven’t NT already said that there are going to be numerous difficulty levels and modes? Surely that should appease those claiming a lack of challenge?

Damned if you do and damned if you don’t these days ; p

#46 1 year ago
  47. Faceless

No, you don’t have to switch weapons to hit SSS ranks, you have to switch weapons in order to damage the foes. The SSS ranks come on their own. No one (at least not I) is saying you can spam one weapon to get SSS, people are (or at least I am) telling you it’s too easy to achieve high style ranks by playing like a brute, whereas high level play isn’t as rewarding any more.

You have been given facts, but you ignore them. You ignored the broken jump cancels, overly long offensive and defensive frames (that’s animations), and variety giving less stylish points than raw damage. Despite having the full game, you haven’t said anything that hasn’t been known for months or shown in the SoS Capcom stream, hence the impression that you’re just maintaining interest in the game.

We will have to agree to disagree, since we’re just talking past each other and going nowhere.

#47 1 year ago
  48. Clupula

@42 – No offense taken. This isn’t Siliconera. You guys actually seem to enjoy a healthy debate.

#48 1 year ago
  49. ShowUsYourLunch

@47 “Despite having the full game, you haven’t said anything that hasn’t been known for months or shown in the SoS Capcom stream” probably cause he’s under embargo.

#49 1 year ago
  50. Dave Cook

@47 I’m not talking about most things as I’m under embargo, plus the issue here wasn’t jump cancels or whatever. I think you’re spinning this one out for the sake of winning an argument that never actually existed in the first place.

Here’s one last example:

You have an A rank that’s about to tip over into S. The meter is falling because you’ve taken too long to hit an enemy. Suddenly one of the enemies immune to axe hits appears. You then start trying to hit it with your axe. You take too long to realise what you’re doing is wrong and your meter drops to a B rank. What you should have done was switch to Osiris to keep the meter going.

How does that not encourage weapon switching to keep rank up?

I also don’t think we’re arguing by the way. It’s nothing more than friendly debate and as I said to Greek I’m not having a go at you or anyone, just saying what I’ve experienced.

But please never, ever accuse me saying things just to maintain interest in a game. That’s when I do start to really get angry and personal about it.

#50 1 year ago
  51. Greek God

50#
    “. Suddenly one of the enemies immune to axe hits appears. You then start trying to hit it with your axe. You take too long to realise what you’re doing is wrong and your meter drops to a B rank.”

it cant drop to B by waiting it will stay on A
    or did they changed this??

#51 1 year ago
  52. Dave Cook

@51 I’m positive that it could although that’s something I admit I could be wrong about. Either way though you still have to switch weapon to hurt that enemy while on A rank to reach S, unless there are other minions in the same area to hurt with the axe.

I think someone said earlier on this thread that forcing people to switch weapons rather than keeping it free-form was restrictive and in a weird way that’s something I agree with. It’s a game about expression after all. Would you agree with that Greek?

I’ll honestly have to check that one tonight though. I’m sure it stops the combo if you wait too long yeah.

#52 1 year ago
  53. Greek God

i said that the game puts basically rules on me on how to deal with specific enemys.
    And no thats not weird at all we re talking about DMC/DmC here right..
    of course i agree !
    If i would be the combat designer for DmC i would atleast make it like that, that you have to deal a specific amount of damage with the specific weapon on firedude for example to destroy his protective aura so you can use all weapons again!
    Would be much more fitting for Devil may cry imo

#53 1 year ago
  54. Dave Cook

@53 you know what’s weird is that I actually thought the same as you -that by hitting the fire guy a few times that his armour would actually come off. I think that would at least make you switch your tactics up mid-combo for a few hits, rather than for a big string of hits.

I would have also liked more scope for weapon-based parries. They are in there for some enemies of course, but the mechanic behind them wasn’t that clear in the demo. Like, in the demo you can bounce back shots from the flying demons if you time it right.

I think I preferred the system in Bayonetta that felt more tangible – giving you a burst of bullet time for parries etc.

#54 1 year ago
  55. YoungZer0

I’m glad they did this. For the first time ever, my girlfriend could actually play a DMC game. She probably won’t have a chance in the later levels, because her navigation is on the level of apple maps, but hey, there is a possibility.

I just remember the first time playing DMC3 after a few levels, you got to the boss Cerberus, died multiple times only to unlock the easier difficulty. The problem wasn’t that i was bad at the game, the problem was that it came so early. Where was the preparation? Where was the learning curve? Where the proper introduction? And why was Dante only wearing a red glam-rock jacket?

#55 1 year ago
  56. polygem

i liked the demo. gameplay is fun. that’s all that matters to me…the boss in the demo, the cheesy, disturbing sounds he makes, the even more cheesy trashtalking dante, the very unfitting dubminimal whatever music. awesome stuff. day one for me.

#56 1 year ago
  57. YoungZer0

Was i the only one who laughed at the line “Hey, succubus, suck on this!”?

Don’t think Capcom would be able to write something like this.

#57 1 year ago
  58. polygem

i had to laugh out loud while i fighted that boss too. over the top cheesyness but in such a beautiful and enjoyable way. classic.

#58 1 year ago
  59. absolutezero

I’m your prom date you ugly sack of shit.

Shakespearean Triple A writing.

#59 1 year ago
  60. YoungZer0

The “Light”-Scene from DMC.

That is all.

#60 1 year ago
  61. absolutezero

I hope they put that in the new game. It would fit right in.

“I wanted to be the one to fill your dark soul with FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU”

#61 1 year ago
  62. polygem

:) haha! stop it!!!

#62 1 year ago
  63. Ireland Michael

Anyone who criticised the new game’s writing comparative to the older titles is full of bullshit and a blinded apologist who simply wants any excuse they can latch onto to undermine the reboot.

#63 1 year ago
  64. absolutezero

Surely no one thinks the original games had good writing?

Actually I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone try and claim that. Of course that does not mean DmC is any better, actually from what I’ve seen its even worse for attempting to play some of it straight.

#64 1 year ago
  65. Erthazus

@63, You know, the difference between reboot and the old one in terms of story is that NT promised a good story, instead, we got this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cbMIKiGjy8

and okay, I don’t really care, but in the past DMC games there was an atmosphere, a humor and other parts that made a lot of sense.

@64, writing in original games made a lot of sense. There was atmosphere. New reboot has nothing from that appeal. Characters motivation and other stuff were silly, but made a lot of sense in my opinion.

#65 1 year ago
  66. YoungZer0

@65: What you call a story is actually dialog. -_-”

“other parts that made a lot of sense.”

Yeah, like for example, remember when lady was falling down and Dante caught her mid-air and she thanked him by shooting him in the head.

Why did she do that exactly? Did she knew he was a half demon? Or does she just randomly shoot people in the head whenever they save her? Does she realize that it would usually mean that she would continue to fall down.

Let’s not forget that there is no reason for her to have any super powers, since she’s just a human being.

Totally makes sense and only one of many examples.

“this one is full of shit and yes, better to hear “I wanted to be the one to fill your dark soul with LIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT” then “FUCK YOU” or “Ugly sack of shit””

That’s sad.

#66 1 year ago
  67. noherczeg

It amazes me how you guys can bash even the story of it while none of you actually seen it in it’s full state :D

I’d like to ask you can’t you understand that the behavior of Dante may be like this because he’s “half as old” as he was in 1-2-4? How do you know that there won’t be any plot involved in this episode which would have a maturing effect on him?

The dialogs aren’t that great, but we can only say this in reflection to what we’ve already seen.

Dave Cook: when will the reviews come out?

ps: What the hell do you expect from a friggin demon ffs? How should they talk? Of course they say curse words all the time, you know, they are demons, the bad guys….

#67 1 year ago
  68. Dave Cook

@65 January 14th.

Everyone is making fun of the new DmC story because of all the swearing.

That is not story. That is script dialogue.

The actual story beats the piss out of the old games. Again, take this from someone many hours through the game.

#68 1 year ago
  69. YoungZer0

Gotta say i love this scene:

Just for the storytelling alone.

#69 1 year ago
  70. absolutezero

Actually the “story” is just a half arsed shitty rip-off of They Live only its totally serious now.

Its Occupy: The Game with all the stupidity that that suggests.

Everyone is making fun of DmC because even though approx 70% of the game has been shown in one way or another its still terrible. Wait for the full game? Fuck that I’ve seen most of the full game already. Kat and her magical wiccan squirrel spunk spraycan and all.

Remember when Alex Garland came forward about how laughable Ninja Theory’s attempts at story were when he was writing Enslaved for them? Looks like they never took any notice.

#70 1 year ago
  71. Clupula

The “Fuck you!” exchange made me roll my eyes, because it really felt like they were just trying to hard to be edgy, in the same way that you might have an uncle when you’re 13 who tries really hard to still be cool in your eyes, even though it’s far too late in his life for that.

I didn’t find it funny. I just found it to be an example of how shitty the writing in the game was. Not only that, but why would a demon that old be using modern swear words? It doesn’t make any sense.

#71 1 year ago
  72. absolutezero

“You can’t kill me. I’m 10,000 years old!”

#72 1 year ago
  73. YoungZer0

@70: You have not played the game, yet you know all about it. Seems legit. And please, don’t quote-mine Alex Garland again, we can all use Google.

@71: Really? You thought it was trying to be edgy.

Are people completely immune to sarcasm?

#73 1 year ago
  74. Clupula

Zero FIGHT!

#74 1 year ago
  75. Clupula

@73 – Are you completely unaware of what sarcasm actually is?

Here’s a hint: two idiots yelling “Fuck you” at each other is not an example of it.

However, I was kind enough to provide one for you in the article about Dante not liking banks.

#75 1 year ago
  76. Deacon

I agree with #56. The demo was a lot of fun. Fuck all this other shit (oooooh edgy),

#76 1 year ago
  77. YoungZer0

@75: Whoops, meant irony. I thought the scene was pretty self-aware of how stupid their interaction was.

#77 1 year ago
  78. Erthazus

that interaction was lame.

I completely agree with clupula about “an uncle when you’re 13 who tries really hard to still be cool in your eyes”. This game tries too hard and fails in that way. I said that before actually when first trailer was released when Dante tried to smoke. that was just lame as hell.

I copied a comment from Youtube and it was a dialog from the second boss from DMC3:

“Cerberus: Leave now, mortal! The likes of you are forbidden in this land. You, who are powerless, are not worthy to set foot here.
    Dante: Wow, I’ve never seen a talking mutt before. You know in a dog show, you’d definitely take the first place.
    Cerberus: You, a mere human, make a mockery of me?
    Dante: Easy, Fido! How about I take you out for a walk? Come on, puppy. Let’s go!
    Cerberus: You’ll regret this you worm!
    Dante: It’s showtime. Come on!”

That is funny, without swearing and “FUCK YOU” or “Ugly Sack of shit” thing.

#78 1 year ago
  79. Dark

This is more than a gameplay .. it’s about the style and the atmosphere of modern dark fantasy and gothic setting of the previous games

DmC was westernized , if jap dev have make a reboot for gears of war .. and turned marcus into some generic anime guy and added more anime stuff .

do you think fans of the original gears of war will like it? of course not!
    and this is the same situation here with DmC.

#79 1 year ago
  80. Clupula

@79 – Holy shit! I’m trying to imagine how funny that would be and how much rage would be unleashed if, say, Nippon Ichi did a Gears of War reboot.

With Prinny cameos! And fan service!

#80 1 year ago
  81. YoungZer0

@78: Let me guess, you loved the Three Stooges movie.

You think that is funny? Really? Calling a huge dog Fido and ask him to go for a walk, so original and sooo funny.

And of course the Cerberus had to talk in that bullshit high-and-mighty-language. “Mortal this, Mortal that!” Never ever have i seen such grand display of originality.

Seems like they take everybody as writer in the Japanese Videogame Industry.

#81 1 year ago
  82. polygem

@79: i want that gears game now! sounds fantastic! :)

#82 1 year ago
  83. Erthazus

@79, 80,

Guys, it’s already have been done.

“Quantum Theory”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXqZPW39MTs and it’s a total disaster.

#83 1 year ago
  84. Erthazus

@81, that’s the whole point. It feels awkward as hell to talk like that with a demon dog. It’s funny and without swearing.

That’s the thing. “Mortal this, Mortal that!” shows how ignorant they are. That’s the appeal. + atmosphere and charisma.

#84 1 year ago
  85. YoungZer0

@84: Yeah, but the Mortal-Talk also has been done to death and is boring as hell (Lol! Hell, get it? Because that’s the place they co- ugh. -_-”)

We get it, demons don’t understand how us Mortals work, blah, blah, blah. Nothing interesting about that.

The way Dante talks to Cerb is so forced, he’s so desperately trying to be cool, so incredibly unnatural. It’s just not funny.

And the exclusion of swears doesn’t add any depth to it. And you keep using the word atmosphere, but after DMC 1, in never felt any, really. They just went crazier and crazier, but the architecture for example always remained the same, it’s like two different worlds and they don’t match together at all. Gothic + Glam Rock, really?

#85 1 year ago
  86. Clupula

But why would it make any more sense for a 10,000 year old demon to be yelling “Fuck you” at someone? That isn’t funny, it’s just lazy. I’m already suspending my belief when I accept that a giant slug demon can speak English, nevermind accept that they curse like a five year old who just learned the word “fuck.”

#86 1 year ago
  87. Dragon246

Ok, I have never played DMC. But this game definitely looks awesome and is on my list this year.
    Although I hate all reboots in general because they alienate the fanbase and makes the entire storyline till that point moot (For eg.- I will never play MGS again if they reboot that). Why not start a franchise instead? But I also understand most “gamers”, despite moaning about new franchises, never buy them (see sleeping dogs, amulur, dragons dogma and list goes on), reboots generally are the way forward.

#87 1 year ago
  88. OlderGamer

I haven’t played this game, and won’t. I played DMC one, and dabbled in some other ones here and there. But I can tell you if they made the game easier, I think that is a good idea. I recently played Darksiders II. The game was so hard, so fast that I couldn’t play it. Neither could my 17 year old son, My 28 year old brother in law, my wife nor his. All of us avid gamers. In terms of DSII, it was the jumping and climbing bits that were the problem.

Sometimes a game plays nice and smooth and then you reach a jaring “spot” that rips you away from the fun, the immersion. If not for the platform elements in DSII, I would have loved it and kept playing.

In my past go arounds with DMC I would come across a lot of “what do I do now” spots. That is why I stoped playing them seriously. I don’t have the patients. Too many other enjoyable things I can spend my time and money on.

So, if Capcom thinks they can lower the entery point of DMC and widen the player base…my gut tells me they are prolly right. There are so many choices for gamers to pick from today. It is prolly hard for studios to hit that sweet spot.

#88 1 year ago
  89. YoungZer0

Wait a second, you complain that the previous games had too many “what do i do now” moments, thinking this one won’t have them, yet you still don’t want to check it out?

Wha? Why?

#89 1 year ago
  90. freedoms_stain

Devil May Cray has historically been incredibly linear. It’s hard to not know what to do. Generally speaking “Forward” is what you do.

#90 1 year ago
  91. OlderGamer

Mostly because there are other things to play.

The days of having one system and a handful of game choices are long gone. In days gone by I might have stayed with a certian game. Today I toss it in the mailbox/post and wait for another one. Or play a PC. If I try the DMC it will be down the road. Right now I am working my way through AssCred III.

#91 1 year ago
  92. YoungZer0

@91: Have fun. If you didn’t swear at least once during the last mission, then you have never played the last mission. :D

At least try the demo, maybe you’ll like it.

#92 1 year ago
  93. OlderGamer

I might get around to it. But I am sitting on a pile of xmass games. A game like DMC makes a good game for slower summer times I think.

#93 1 year ago