Tomb Raider ‘To Be a Survivor’ trailer released in full, watch it here

Monday, 10th December 2012 18:00 GMT By Dave Cook

Tomb Raider received a new trailer at the weekend courtesy of the VGA awards and Crystal Dynamics. It’s a lengthy clip that shows Lara taking down enemies on the game’s perilous island, battling the elements and – of course- fighting gravity every step of the way. We’ve now got the full HD version. Watch it below.

1. YoungZer0

I do wonder, did she never get the idea of wearing a jacket and one point on her journey? I mean she seems to kill a lot of people, but not once tries to get some of their clothes? Wherever she is, it looks rather cold.

I’m still not sold.

2. deathm00n

@1 Again with the jacket thing… In the other games did she used other cloth beside theses boobs enhancing shirts? No. If they changed it, all the fans of the series would be pissed off. It’s how the masses know it’s a tomb raider game.

3. Abdo shniba

can’t wait for this game :),

on a side note, Dave I was one of the winners in the witcher competition “won both games”, never got the codes, I’ve contacted you today, check your e-mail.

4. CyberMarco

@3 Now that you mention it, Dave who won the CoD Headset?

5. alimokrane

@deathm00n

Thank you! someone with good sense at last!!

The next thing we should complain about is that she does not drink or eat food too, perhaps does not sleep either……some people should just know when to draw the line. it’s a game after all! if you want realism, go live your life, you wont find it in a game.

6. Ireland Michael

Boob enhancing?

Jesus Christ. Women have breasts. Get over it.

Her figure is less emphasised in this game than it ever has been in the series, and still people complain. Most of the character aren’t particularly dressed for the situation they’re in. The men are wearing short sleeves for crying out loud. Unless her appearance is being portrayed in a sexually exploitive manner, how she looks shouldn’t even be an issue.

7. SameeR_Fisher

@2: she can throw it later after she finishes the snow mission :D

8. monkeygourmet

It’s still exploitative, just saying.

Just now it has an ‘I spit on your grave vibe’…

Not that I mind, but its still trying to court controversy, just in a different way.

9. OlderGamer

I think as a movie, I would watch this Tomb Raider. It has me interested. But as a video game, I can’t get excited about it. I just am imagining too many bits where I would get frustraited. That and a lot of QTEs. It just reminds me of Uncharted too much. I didn’t like them either.

10. FeaturePreacher

I wonder when they’re going to reveal multiplayer gameplay. It seems like a zombie/puzzle co-op campaign would go nice with this revamped Lara. I just hope she gets the ability to do the slow rise hand stand from a cliff thing eventually.

11. roadkill

@YoungZer0 Careful at what you say. There are very few intelligent people around here.

12. Ireland Michael

@9 How exactly is it exploitative?

13. monkeygourmet

The Rapey advertising campaign they had to apologise for.

Now it’s all about survival. Come on, that wasn’t ‘by accident’.

That is clearly a case of exploiting a charecter.

To be honest, I don’t give a shit. Tomb Raider has always courted controversy in one way or another but the marketing team knew full well they would get coverage if they suggested Lara was the victim of rape by some hill billy type Charecters, thus making the game sound like a ‘revenge’ flick…

Now it’s all about ‘survival’, well how clever.

Why not just leave out the Rapey stuff from the advertising and let people make their own opinions when they play the finished game…

Come on dude, it was desperate and exploitative.

14. Moonwalker1982

I don’t know who even brought it up that it’s ‘rapey’. cause i absolutely never saw it that way and never will. It was blown out of proportion, and i do wonder who started it.

15. DSB

Actually the socalled “campaign” (actually a Kotaku interview) was about precisely the opposite you’re describing monkeygourmet.

If the overzealous knights in shining armor could take a break from valiantly defending women everywhere, and actually read the material, instead of deciding that it includes wildly offensive stuff, I think the interwebs as a whole would be better off.

All they wanted to do was make her into a human being, rather than the blown up fuckdoll she always has been.

16. monkeygourmet

I must have read the wrong stuff then.

Apologies, just made me rage.

17. monkeygourmet

I just went off the first footage they showed of her in a cage or whatever (very Wolf Creek), then lots of backtracking on their behalf.

Just made me think, if they didn’t want to suggest those themes, just show her jumping around on shit.

Got my wires crossed along the way! :)

18. SeWICX

The intro to this trailer looks exactly like the intro mission from Uncharted 2. Same landscape, same situation, different train/ pole to hold onto :P

19. YoungZer0

Wowowowowow. Calm down people. I don’t give a single fuck about her boobs, nor do i think it’s exploitation. I just think it would be a rational thing to do to wear a jacket in a cold environment, especially if they want to sell the whole “Survival” thing.

If desperate people still want to see her boobs, she could wear her jacket open.

20. absolutezero

Jesus its as if none of you have actually played any of the Tomb Raider games before.

This is a piece of promo art from Tomb Raider 2 :

This is another from Tomb Raider 3 :

Costume changes to reflect the situation have been a part of the series almost from the start. Only now its not within Lara’s control.

21. YoungZer0

… but there are people using jackets, what’s stopping her from stripping it off a dead body?

22. absolutezero

I agree with you its fucking stupid and has nothing to back it up within the rest of the series.

Much like DmC… BOOM BOOM

23. absolutezero

Really though for a game based around almost total immersion its a pretty silly oversight.

Actually it might just be a design choice to showcase the work put into the dirt effects, like having her wear a jacket would hide alot of filth building off and then being washed off in the rain or whatever.

24. YoungZer0

They should have focused on the hair-animation. Looks terrible.