Skyrim: Dragonborn DLC confirmed for PC & PS3 in 2013

Monday, 3rd December 2012 15:22 GMT By Dave Cook

Skyrim: Dragonborn is the next DLC expansion for Bethesda’s sprawling RPG. The additional content launches on Xbox Live tomorrow, while the studio has confirmed that PC & PS3 gamers will receive the add-on in 2013.

An update on the Bethesda Blog states, “We’re less than 24 hours away from unleashing Skyrim’s next add-on Dragonborn on Xbox Live. It’s one of our most ambitious add-ons ever and we’re excited for everyone to play it.

“We’re also happy to announce Dragonborn will be available on PS3 and PC early next year.

“And we’re still not done – we look forward to sharing more Skyrim news next year.”

The expansions plot, achievements, mechanics and world details were leaked this morning. Get the full run-down here.

Meanwhile, PS3 gamers are still waiting for the last full expansion Dawnguard.

1. Mike W

What a mess of a game, Bethesda should be ashamed of themselves. I don’t know how they’re the only developers that get a pass for releasing buggy ass non complete games.

2. CaptPierce

At least give us a discount for making us wait a whole fucking year for it! I’ve all but given up on this game at this point; how they expect to release a game and STILL not know the coding and how the PS3 operates is still kinda sad to me.

3. Hcw87

It’s still the best RPG to have come out this generation. Witcher 2 is close, but it’s nowhere near as good as a complete package.

4. ManuOtaku

Dont get me wrong Skyrim is a great RPG, but for me Dragon dogma, xenoblade, witcher 2, amalaur are a bit higher than skyrim, they did handle combat better, while giving tons of things to do and freedom.

But this hasnt antyhing to do with the disgrace for the ps3 version, it can be a really great RPG, but not to be consider the best game of the year of generation, because of this embarrasment.

5. Mike W

I agree, but a lot of this has to do with these so called journalists. I wish some of them would stay consistent with their reviews. For example, one game can be torn apart for being buggy and having a broken combat system. But when it has a Bethesda logo on it, it seems to always get a pass. Especially if it’s an elder scroll game. This game is the main reason why game journalism is a fucking joke.

6. TheDarkWeapon

The game is beautiful, and bugs are few. Yes, the PS3 version is the worst of all… but then again, the game is great, you should really try it on PC or at least XBOX 360. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against PS3, I’m simply saying that you should check out the game on another platform.

Agreed, The Witcher got some wicked moves, I got Witcher 1 & 2 on the past Steam sale… great games for a great deal.

7. Dragon246

I still believe this game shouldn’t have been released on ps3. Shows Bethesda is very poor light, as it clearly seems a greedy move on their part to release a completely broken game just to get free cash.

8. SplatteredHouse

eh. the base game’s enough for me. I’ve yet to see any reason to consider getting any more of it.

“This game is the main reason why game journalism is a fucking joke.”
    The reaction to this game did leave a lot of places looking sheepish in their refusal, or inability to lay criticism on account of swathing dual-carriageways of shortcomings in terms of design, and some areas of content in Skyrim.

9. jacobvandy

@5 Skyrim is much, much larger than most other RPGs these days… So a few bugs mean a lot less for it than it would for something else. The quality of the game is measured on the whole, with both the quality and quantity of its mechanics and content and production all taken into consideration. If you’re talking about an average action/shooter that only lasts 8 hours, and it has bugs with its combat that make it less enjoyable than it could or should be, that deserves a bad score. Skyrim having a few buggy scripts (only one quest was ever totally unable to be completed), some graphical glitches, etc. does not do very much to impact the average player’s 60+ hour adventure. It very much deserved the high scores it received. Not 100/100, because it wasn’t perfect, but it was close. I guess I can understand the 10/10′s if they’re rounded up.

10. deathm00n

@9 You said it all. You can’t complain about bugs in a game of this size, where you can interact with everything (want that broom in your inventory? go ahead, take it). I know people who spent more than 500 hours in the game due to the fact that every character is different and you can’t complete all the quests with one character. And then there’s the roleplay: in the witcher, for example, you are Geralt, and that’s it, you can’t shape his history. In Skyrim I’m Grogvar the nord who was arrested when he was trying to return to his homeland while running away from the Thalmor. And by a rule made by myself I will never use magic, I’m a true nord with my armor and axes in both hands.

And there you have, this is why a lot of people glorify The Elder Scrolls games. The most near of it I got this gen was Dragon’s Dogma like people said, but it’s still not as open as Skyrim

11. Hcw87

Dragon’s Dogma was a bore, with scripted enemy placements that respawned quickly and having to walk 10 mins from point A, spend 3 mins doing the objective at point B, then spend another 10 mins walking back to the questgiver. A bore. Combat system was nice though, but the gameplay on a whole has to draw you in.