Wii U: Nintendo shifts 400,000 consoles in U.S. launch week

Monday, 26th November 2012 17:56 GMT By Dave Cook

Nintendo managed to sell 400,000 Wii U consoles across America last week, marking an impressive launch week for the company’s latest hardware. Nintendo of American head Reggie Fils-Aime has revealed more stats in a new interview. Check them out below.

Speaking with CNET, Fils-Aime confirmed that across Wii U, Wii, 3DS and DS, Nintendo sold around 1.2 million consoles in America alone last week. Black Friday sales were cited as a key driver in sales, helping Wii U’s launch figures trump the original Wii, which sold 300,000 units during its first week on sale.

Although it only launched on November 18th in the States, Fils-Aime stated that “Wii U is essentially sold out of retail,” and that Nintendo is now working to replenish stock, adding, “Retailers are also doing their best to get the product to store shelves. But as soon as product hits retail, they’re selling out immediately.”

Although Wii U is currently selling faster than its predecessor, Fils-Aime couldn’t foresee a repeat of stock shortages that befell the original Wii, and explained, “Wii was a unique phenomenon. You couldn’t walk into a retailer and buy a Wii until spring of 2009.

“We’ve certainly learned many lessons from that and we are replenishing retailers more quickly this time around. We are looking to have as much product into retail as possible. It’s driven by consumer response.”

Wii U launches across UK and Europe from November 30th. Will you be getting one at launch? Let us know below.

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. OlderGamer

Kudos to them. Now make more.

2. ManuOtaku

One question the WiiU did received a price drop during the black friday deals, and i case it did by how much?

3. Mike W

I can’t wait to see how Zelda and Metroid is going to look on this thing. It’s a lot potential in this little black box (deluxe edition)

I still can’t believe how mad these Xbox and PS3 fanboys got, because a PR for Nintendo stated their product’s games looks better than the competition. I guess what’s even funnier is that some think the DF video made him make this response. Lol :D

4. Mike W

I think for the 8gb models. I think…

5. OlderGamer

I don’t think the price was lower Manu. But a few outlets did have sales the software.

6. ManuOtaku

^ok thanks guys.

7. Mike W

When you get yours, I recommend ZombieU and NG: Razor’s Edge. :)

8. ManuOtaku

#7 Mike W i will do man, i will, those and scriblenauts.

9. loveaya

The Nothingtodo fans are all the same around the world.lol

10. monkeygourmet

Wii U and 3DS will give them a rock solid Christmas.

Would like to see some info on the 3DS connecting to the Wii U, but I guess that’ll be announced at E3 to keep the attention on the Wii U tablet.

11. redder

I think this news is good enough and worth to be posted by you guys :
    it just made my day :D

12. Cobra951

@3:

Hmm? I don’t know what you’re going on about. The power of this system is not what’s going to sell it. The brand is. Good new software is, if it appears. I don’t think there’s going to be much interest in playing WiiU versions of games that are already out for other systems. It needs killer games that work best with its control methods, and of course exclusive first-party games like Marios, Zeldas and (very far away from Other-M) Metroids. Without those, it will peak early and then flounder.

13. Mike W

I’m sorry bro, I’m a bit confuse about your comment. I never said the power of anything sales anything. Personally I can wait for Metroid and Zelda, but that’s just me. I know we are a ways off from ever seeing the light of those titles, but that was one the main reasons I purchase a Wii U.

As far as my other complaint, I was just shocked and disappointed on how some people were angered of what Reggie said about the Wii U.

14. OlderGamer

It is like that Mike W, I find it funny how the one making the most noise about how “bad” the WiiU is are folks that don’t own one. I don’t talk to anyone that has one that isn’t enjoying it. Myself included. Like you, I can no wait to get my hands on some Zelda or Metroid. I would also like to see some Star Fox and F-Zero. And am greatly looking forward to seing Saturn, Dreamcast, and Gamecube downloads.

15. Mike W

Well said OG, but I have to say I’m disappointed that I can’t play my gamecube games on the Wii U. I don’t want to purchase those titles over either.

16. OlderGamer

I agree about the gamecube stuff. I have tons of it. But I also have a BC Wii and three Gamecubes. I even have the 480P cables for both. So I am good there. As for rebuying them…I would if I could get them in HD. But knowing Nintendo, we will prolly just get the orig games.

But, give me the chance to buy Shining Force III or Magic Knight Ray Earth or Panzer Dragoon Saga … and I think I would jump on those pretty fast.

17. Zohar

Internet: Nintendo is dead. Wii U is a failure. Nintendo should sell their IPs on the iOS app sto…

*Wii U sells 400k units in 1 week, outpaces original Wii, sells 1.2m consoles

Internet: Oh… well… nuh uh!

18. lexph3re

@OG so you are surprised people on the internet are overly critical of a new device on the market that they haven’t owned or played? So the last 8 months Vita has been out and people were doing this exact same thing you are JUST now becoming aware because this time it’s happening to a system you own?

Ironic

19. Dragon246

@Lex
    These people were crying in another thread how negative articles on wiiu should not be published (not OG), yet its perfectly fine to do so for vita.
    Hypocrisy at its best.
    Good start for wiiu, lets see how it goes from here.

20. OlderGamer

Nice try lex, but not even close. Many differences, biggest being is that Wiiu is selling, Vita didn’t. Nintendo knows what the market wants, Sony doesn’t have a clue.

There is a core audiance backlash against Nintendo. You can see it the game press, you can see it in forums, but you don’t see it at the checkout of stores. To not see the disconect would would be selfserving.

I think it just boils down the importance or lack there of the so called core audiance. There is a greater and broader scope of mass market gaming, Nintendo can tap into that. Sony has tried and failedto be able to put their products into that same position. Vita vs 3DS is a great example. Nintendo is doing it again with Wiiu.

Many resent Nintendo for that.

The market has changed lex, I have always said that Sony has struggled this gen with that. If that sounds like unfair critisim towards Sony, I am sorry. I am not out to get Sony, or the many fans that enjoy their products. Keep in mind, I enjoy their games too. But, I think they have been strugling. Nintendo on the other hand…

21. Dragon246

How does sony struggle exactly when their gaming division is making the biggest profit out of the 3 hardware companies? I assume making biggest loss now makes you a market leader eh?
    Editors note on wiiu sales-
    “Editor’s note: For what it’s worth, this was not my experience. I picked one up launch day without a pre-order and there were still a few units left. Granted this was at a super market with a small electronics department and not necessarily where one would think to purchase new hardware.”
    Sell out are a relative thing. It just shows supply is less than demand, nothing else.

22. Clupula

Has anyone denied for a second that the Nintendo faithful were going to make the initial launch of the Wii U a success? There are people here acting like this is a huge triumph and all the naysayers have been proven wrong.

The prediction has been, for the past year, that it will sell well at first and then have a strong drop off in 2013, and pretty much be rendered obsolete at E3. In the meantime, first party titles will continue to sell wonderfully and third party titles will dry up.

I think everything is running right on schedule for all of those things to happen. We already have devs talking about not wanting to port their games to it that are already on PS3/360 and we have Miyamoto saying counterproductive things about third parties, so yeah, one doesn’t need a crystal ball to see that things are not going to be so rosy for the Wii U after all of the initial Nintendo crowd picks theirs up.

23. lexph3re

@OG really? It’s different huh? Vita sold 300k in the first week in the US people screamed fail. Wii U sells 100k more than Vita at the same price range and your saying it’s exceptable? Right….Completely different -_-

24. Cobra951

I’m rooting for the system. I would love for Nintendo to bounce back in this market after the Wii. But I have to make an informed decision before spending the money. So far, I can’t justify the investment. That doesn’t mean I’m not qualified to comment on what I see and read about the system. If the owners are enjoying it, that’s terrific. I’m so glad for them. I enjoyed my Wii too, for several months even. Then it spent years just sitting there with the little red power light glowing at me. I’m not sorry I got it, but I can do without a repeat of the experience. I will wait and see what shakes this time around.

25. monkeygourmet

No one has accused the Vita of being a shit machine, I thought it was a great piece of kit.

I owned one for about 4 months, then realised the way Sony were handling it pissed me off, so I to rid and am much happier with the 3DS.

I’ve never once hoped it would fail, I’ve just directed anger at Sony as they make some good hardware but don’t do shit all with it.

Time and time again… How are those Sony 3DTVs, tablets, laptops etc selling Sony fan boys?

Not that well, not that well at all.

Now, we’ve reached the crux of the matter.

The guys defending Sony don’t seem to understand or fathom that people like myself actually like the Vita and PS3, and am just pissed off with the way SONY does business.

That’s why you keep getting called a fanboy. Because you blindly except any shit a company gives you.

Now, as for the Wii U, it was never promised as anything else (again, unlike Sony). Nintendo actually back there choices and devices which is always a plus point for a customer.

If you can’t understand this stance, your all more blinkered than I imagined…

26. Clupula

Only the people being accused of being Sony fanboys have acknowledged that Sony’s non-gaming divisions, which include that tablets, laptops, and tv’s are doing pretty shitty. In fact, it’s been suggested several times that if Sony dropped those divisions or spent less on them, while focusing on their gaming division, which actually IS one of the few things they are doing right, that they’d be able to begin turning things around.

27. monkeygourmet

Of course they should drop it, but they won’t.

That’s the thing. Hold on to the bitter end even if everything crumbles around them just trying to save face.

Foolish attitude. You gotta know when your fighting a losing battle.

Again, arrogance blinds them.

28. lexph3re

@25 you can call me whatever you want doesn’t make me that because I make a valid point. I’m not defending Sony by stating the hypocrisy in yours and everyone else statement when you say stupid shit like what you just said.

You don’t like Sony’s business model right? So you bought a 3ds and been happy with it since huh? So tell me something in the last 4 months how many good games have released on 3ds in fact how many of those games that released are actually DS titles and NOT DS titles?

You call me a blind Sony fanboy but you are just calling me that because I challenge your fantasy world you live in. It’s funny that you and others have said there were no games for Vita WHEN IT FIRST LAUNCHED AND 4 MONTHS in. Yet low in behold 3DS still doesn’t have a single damn game that justified my purchase as it sits in my closet.

You made claims no one wants a new console to play old games but turned around with Poly and praised being able to play the old games on DS. You my sir are the epitome of a hypocrit. In fact, one of the reasons I haven’t said anything to what you say on this site is because you are just to full of shit to acknowledge half the time.

You sir are no longer worth the free times im wasting on you. Good day enjoy your fantasy world of nintendo that you live in.

29. monkeygourmet

I love the bit where you get so upset I sold my Vita.

30. polygem

didn´t read all this and not planning to. but if it helps to upset lex a bit: i sold my vita too and didn´t regret it one bit. i play halo with sony headphones though (halo 4 and the sony headphones both don´t exactly blow me away though). in the late 80´s i had a walkman and loved it. sony are idiots for not making an AAA ps3 medievil game because sir dan should be their no 1 hero. he´s more bad ass than kratos, by far! the fanboys aren´t monkey, og, gadzooks, manu….the fanboys they have different names and they are on the sony train.

31. polygem

and lex…relax, noone is taking sony away from you just because one thinks they did not perform that well overall this gen. it´s personal opinion. nothing else. this is a forum and newssite about videogames. we have different opinions, we prefer different games, different tastes, we discuss, sometimes we fight….all good.

32. lexph3re

Poly you and monkey are completely delusional if you think me pointing out your hypocricy is me being angry at you selling a device. Stop being a tard, I have a friend who sold his vita to buy a 3ds xl am I mad? Not one bit. Now he’s sitting around straggling to buy another Vita asking me to borrow money.

I don’t care what you do or what brand you choose. You guys are the only ones who over exaggerate your position in the console space. Angry because you sold it? Nah I just find it funny the same ish you guys blame Sony of doing you oh so beloved choices do the same and you act like its golden shit.

33. Dragon246

They like to act like that. Except when others do so, they are fanboys. I love how he mentions others being fanboys and that how all of them are on sony train. Its hillarious how he can’t see ninty and ms fans as fanboys but clearly sees every one of sony fans as one.
    Also don’t bother with their lies, they never bought a vita to begin with. No one sells a console ( unless he is a bit loony) only 4 months after buying it, especially near launch.

34. lexph3re

Nah, I don’t put it past them. I know plenty of people who make poor decisions like that. I don’t understand how someone can buy a device for said potential only to trash it 4 months in because it is giving more attention to new ips. Who really get’s mad because a company doesn’t milk one franchise? I don’t personally understand that. It’s a damned if you do damned if you don’t scenario with half these guys.

I feel bad for them the day MS abandons Halo for a new IP. Then it’s going to be “WAAAHHHH! MS sucks because they don’t make halo their top priority anymore! WAAAAHHHHH!” I get sick of the same people in gaming after a while. Right now, I am kinda sick of Kratos….Thank GOD they aren’t just releasing another God Of War next year because I wouldn’t really be buying anything for the 3 if they did.

I’m grateful that Sony releases things like Last of US and Beyond. But, because i’m thankful for new things that makes me a fanboy? HA! Sorry Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Paper Mario, and a spin off aren’t on my priorities list.

35. polygem

ok, then hold on to your friend…if you cannot accept opinions of others without calling them tards or hypocrits it could become your last remaining friend ;)
    this is my opinion again: the vita is overpriced, so are the memory cards,most of it´s games bored me to death, the ui is shit. i want a strong sony….but man they are weak atm.

36. polygem

lex: Mario tennis is a sports game mario kart a racer, new super mario bros a 2d platformer, maio 3d land a 3d platformer, paper mario a light rpg with a very unique artdesign and so on….all completeley different genres, different ip´s just with mario in it. that´s a strength of nintendo. they take good care about their ip´s, let them grow, expand and evolve…many fail to see this. they just see mario in the title and say “just more of the same, another mario game”, well this is just not the case. scratch the surface.
    @dragon: because i told you a million times, i love many many sony games, i am a halo fan and i love zelda, metroid and luigi. i am a videogame fanboy if you want, but no platform fanboy. you are one of those constantly bashing everything ms or nintendo. and there you have it. the little difference that counts…

37. polygem

@dragon. serioulsy, what is wrong with you? now you call me a liar. don´t you think you are going a bit too far you little stinker?

38. Dragon246

@Poly
    If you are feeling hurt,maybe you also should stop calling others “miserable fanboy” and stop assuming others don’t have a 360? You know what are the most beautiful 360 games, they are Viva Pinata,Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon and Bayonetta. So I own a 360, its just that games like this don’t come often on a 360.
    I played Halo4, and I clearly understood that I don’t like shooters.
    Maybe learn to control yourself a bit and listen to others opinion. You call vita ui shit, I have no problem. Now if someone says that to 3ds ui and online (which sucks ) you would be up in arms.

39. polygem

i am pretty sure you said you do not own a 360…
    i am not feeling hurt i just think you are going way to far by calling others liars.
    i do listen to other opinions. i enjoy if people have other opinions and like to discuss about that but i fight back if someone is ignorant and saying stuff like nintendo is doomed, they produce fisher price kids game shovelware, milking their franchises etc etc, you know, all that random, uneducated bullshit…and that is unfortunateley something you pretty often do.
    i wont be up in arms if someone says the 3ds ui is bad…it actually isn´t that good (but not as ugly as the vita one – by the way, i praised the XMB a lot on the psp, just for the record). i never said nintendos online is good, i said they didn´t need to compete in that sector yet. but you just keep hearing what you want to hear and ignore the rest. that is what i don not like about your comments.
    i critisized the 360 dash and ads A LOT. man i even pissed all over halo 4´s multiplayer even though i am a huge huge halo fan.
    i only always see you praise sony and NEVER anything else. i think that stinks…
    if someone has to watch his tongue more than that´s definiteley you though….calling me liar…
    if you enjoy games like eternal sonata or blue dragon you should get a 3ds. i mean. seriously.