Wii Mini console launching next month – report

Monday, 26th November 2012 08:43 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii U may be out in Europe this week, but a leaked retail report suggests that Nintendo hasn’t turned its back on the original Wii just yet. The report suggests that the original hardware is getting the mini treatment. Check out the report below.

Update:

Nintendo just responded to a VG247 email asking about the Wii Mini’s existence. A Nintendo UK rep stated, “Nintendo don’t comment on rumour and speculation.”

Original Story:

NintendoWorldReport stated that it had received an internal memo from a retailer but could not say from which chain it came from, so as always with reports like this, take it with a heavy dose of salt.

The memo is said to include the text:

Introducing the Wii Mini! Coming Dec 7 2012!
WII MINI CONSOLE
Compact Nintendo Wii Console
Comes with Sensor Bar, Nunchuk and Wii Remote Plus with Jacket.

The downsizing of Wii would fall in line with some of Nintendo’s products, except from the 3DS, which seems to grow larger and more deadlier by the year.

We’ve asked Nintendo for comment on this rumour. Stay tuned.

1. The_Red

I really don’t think it’s wise to confuse mass market with TWO freaking Wii related products, not to mention the different Wii U bundles / variations. I mean, with the original Wii it was just a simple Wii packed with Wii Sports (in most regions) while 360 and PS3 went the multi version route.

Simplicity towards general audiences is the key for gaming (Table / Smartphone markets is a bit different IMHO).

2. Dave Cook

@1 I agree, absolutely. That, and the original Wii install base is massive. This could be a wasted venture for them.

3. TD_Monstrous69

Not to get schematical on this one, but I mean just how? The Wii is already pretty small to begin with. Plus, last time I checked, there’s barely anything new for it, and they just launched a new console. So, could someone tell me, how would this ever make sense for Nintendo to do this?

4. SplatteredHouse

A little over two weeks from now, this article believes another Wii will appear, without fanfare, to the benefit of the thoroughly perplexed (and somewhat bemused) everywhere! :)
    Ninty Claus will head down retailer’s chimneys, the night of the 6th (treading quiet as a mouse), and whisk away old grey boxes, and replace them with new white ones. This, is of course, just speculation.

5. Psychotext

Short of removing the DVD drive surely there’s not much they could to to make it significantly smaller? I guess they could lose a bit of length but I’m struggling to see the point.

6. SplatteredHouse

Such a thing might encounter heating issues. There can’t be much form factor left to be stripped off something the size already of two dvd boxes.
    @5: remove the dvd drive! What started on ios…will end in the living room? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Interactive_Television_Box

7. daytripper

If at the right price would get it to play VirtuaConsole games

8. Zohar

Sega comments on rumor and speculation. Nintendon’t.

9. OlderGamer

The orig Wii is sold out in my local stores. Thats the first Wii, not the WiiU(that is sold out too). So maybe there is a market for it, but like you guys I have to ask why bother? Not like he first Wii is expensive to make.

10. DrDamn

It could be sold out *because* the supply is dry in anticipation of this release. Crazy and confusing time to do it though. When you already have issues of people understanding what a WiiU is.

11. OlderGamer

Yep I agree Doc. I wouldn’t think holidays would be a smart move. Spring time makes more sense. Adding in some pack in make sense too. But if the current system has demand(still), why do anything but make more of them, faster?

Puzzeling indeed.

12. ManuOtaku

I think Nintendo is trying to pull a sony estrategy here, like they did with the PS3 and PS2, the thing is that the former didnt have the perception problems the WiiU is having, theres a lot of people that think this is only an Wii add-on, really not the best time, because both cases are different.

13. dizzygear

They could replace the slotloader with a fliptop to make it slightly thinner. They could remove the gamecube controller ports as well.

Still this revision seems as pointless as the recent PS3 slim slim.

14. ManuOtaku

#13 “Still this revision seems as pointless as the recent PS3 slim slim”
    It is not pointless, it has A DISC SLIDING TRAY \o/ :)

15. DrDamn

Didn’t they already remove the GC controller ports?

Edit – yes, but Europe only http://www.destructoid.com/new-slim-wii-announced-won-t-play-gamecube-games-209100.phtml

16. OlderGamer

Another thought, is because I own a WiiU, and I have transfered all of the downloaded content(even game saves) to my WiiU, and because the WiiU plays all Wii disc games…I have been wondering what I am going to do with my Wii.

The data transfer was just that a transfer, all of the info I once had on my Wii is now on the WiiU. Kind of makes the Wii redundant. I bet a lot of folks begin trading in their Wiis. I can’t honestly justify keeping it, I won’t ever use it. But I doubt I can get much trade for it either. As for it playing gamecube games, so does my gamecube.

Overall point is that investing in a hardware redesign of Wii is really fruitless, I think the store shelves will be flooded with used Wiis in a couple of months time.

17. dizzygear

I never knew about that. I guess i better take good care of my old Wii.

What is it with the EU getting gimped hardware? The first revision PAL PS3′s had the Emotion Engine ripped out, PSP’s without wifi, 3DS XL’s without charger and now i discover we had gimped Wii’s.