Far Cry 3, Assassins Creed 3 not on Steam UK, Ubi in talks with Valve

Thursday, 22nd November 2012 17:25 GMT By Dave Cook

Assassin’s Creed 3 is out now on PC, but the Steam version is nowhere to be found on Valve’s UK store front. The same fate will befall Far Cry 3 when it launches next week, and publisher Ubisoft is currently in talks with Valve to remedy the situation.

Speaking with >PCGamesN a Ubisoft rep issued a statement that read, “We’ve been in discussions with Valve about Assassin’s Creed 3 and Far Cry 3, but for the time being the games are not available via Steam in the UK.

“In the meantime, UK customers wishing to purchase either of these games can do so by visiting the Uplay store, our retail partners or other digital distributors. Assassin’s Creed 3 and Far Cry 3 are available on Steam in other regions outside the UK.”

No reason was given but those looking to keep their game collection in one place on Steam may be in luck yet. Ubisoft also stressed that the absence of both games from doesn’t signify that the publisher is removing its games form the service in a bid to force customers to its UPlay store.

Ubisoft’s online services head Stephanie Perotti told the site back at Gamescom, “You can still find our games on Steam and we do not have any intention to change that. We believe in choice and we believe that it’s normal to let the players and the consumers choose where they want to purchase their games.”

1. DuckOfDestiny

Buy a Steam key from Amazon.com. You can download and play it right now :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. Addie444

Oh my god how?! do you need to wait at all? Explain! and are you English?

#2 1 year ago
  3. deadstoned

This is absolute BS on Ubisofts part, not impressed. This is the first game I’ve wanted to pre-order this year (apart from Rome 2) and now we’re only 6 hours away from release of the game and no pre-order available.
    Personally I believe this isn’t a Ubisoft/Valve problem. This is a retailer being an assholes problem. GAME with their “Exclusive Game edition”. http://www.game.co.uk/en/assassins-creed-iii-game-exclusive-edition-170852?categoryIdentifier=10226

#3 1 year ago
  4. wlodi

Thanks for writing about this!

@DuckOfDestiny: you can only use Amazon.com downloads in the US, so no luck for UK-based gamers.

#4 1 year ago
  5. freedoms_stain

@4, false, all you need to do is add a US billing address to your Amazon account.

I live in the UK and I bought the Prototype pack and the Tantalizing THQ pack in the last 2 weeks from Amazon US.

#5 1 year ago
  6. DuckOfDestiny

@4 Nope, did it myself. It’s completely unlocked and I’m now waiting for all 15, 132.7 MB of it to download. And I live in England for those that want to know.

#6 1 year ago
  7. stevenhiggster

@3 I agree and disagree with you there. Yes it is thanks to GAME being ass hats and wanting exclusive crap (why they think any PC gamers even shop at GAME I don’t know!) but the problem lies with Steam.
    They say their policy of not selling games unless all DLC is available on Steam is to protect gamers, when all it really does is annoy gamers when they can’t get hold of the games they want. If I really cared about the DLC then I would buy it from wherever but at least give me the option Steam! I might not give a rats tits about the DLC I just want to be able to buy the game off Steam!
    Imho their policy hurts both gamers and themselves.

#7 1 year ago