Nintendo focused on developing Wii U titles, no Wii games in the works “right now”

Tuesday, 20th November 2012 18:03 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

With Wii U out in North America and launching in Europe at the end of the month, it’s obvious Nintendo will be focusing solely on developing first-party titles for its new system, but if you had any doubts on the matter, NoA director of product marketing Bill Trinen said this is indeed the case. When asked by Gamespot if Nintendo were developing titles for Wii, he replied: “No… not right now.” Granted, it’s possible the firm could try to extend the lifecycle of its console with new releases or multiformat titles in the future, but for now, the only “new” Nintendo title for the system is Kirby’s Dream Collection and it was released back in September.

1. monkeygourmet

Thank god for that! :)

Looking forward to picking mine up on the 30th although my girlfriend and I aren’t going to open it till Xmas day!

The wait is going to kill me! :)

2. KrazyKraut

Dear VG247,
    please ask Nintendo of Europe if there will be any EU release of the Kirby Collection. TIA

3. ManuOtaku

More xenoblade, punch out and baten kaitos while you are at it, please.

4. Bomba Luigi

I want Fire Emblem. And for Gods sake, give me a new F-Zero Game. It really is Time Dudes.

5. orakaa

… which means that the Wii is practically dead, in terms of new releases then?
    I mean, Nintendo are almost the only ones to publish games on this device.

The Wii is the ONLY Nintendo console I’ve bought and then resold. Before that, I had bought all their consoles (starting with the NES). I even bought the N64. Didn’t get a lot of games on it but it was worth it (heck, there was “Ocarina of Time” on this console).

But the Wii… I could hardly see enough interesting games on it, and I wasn’t fond of the mandatory motion controls (sure the motion controls worked well for FPS like Metroid Prime, but for many games it didn’t feel very comfortable). Same for their portable console: I LOVED the DS… but could hardly get any interest in the 3DS (the 3D was a gimmick and it didn’t bring enough difference to justify such an expensive price if you already had a DS… maybe if there are enough exclusive games to the system I’ll get one, but for now, no).

For the Wii U, I’ll wait and thoroughfully test it before considering if I buy it or not. So far my only interest in the system lies in the backward compatibility (I REALLY wanted to play “Xenoblade”), but gameplay wise, it doesn’t seem to be interesting enough, at least to me.