Standard 8GB Wii U has 3GB space after mandatory installations

Thursday, 15th November 2012 12:25 GMT By Nick Akerman

Did you pre-order the basic 8GB Wii U just to download console exclusives? If so, you’re going to be disappointed. Nintendo has revealed the smaller models only have 3GB of space left once the system has finished downloading its mandatory installs.

This means you’ll be forced to buy external hardware if you want to install most titles. Even lightweight games such as the 3.2GB Nintendo Land can’t comfortably snuggle onto the device.

The Wii U will support up to 2TB of memory from drives that have an external power source. Nintendo has suggested USB storage can be used, although it isn’t recommended.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. Mike W

Well this is not a big deal. We knew for a while now we had to buy our own source of storage if we were going to do heavy gaming with the Wii u.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Mineral4r7s

You can actually use your own HDs? Amazing.

#2 1 year ago
  3. mistermogul

Oh Nintendo you baffle me!

Seeing as they are selling at a loss I can understand why memory space may be low but 8Gb and 32Gb are pretty pointless. HDD’s and even flash is cheap these days, surely they could have stretched to at least 64Gb with their buying power?

Also what’s the effing point of having an SD card slot when you can’t boot games from SD? The Wii and 3DS seem to have no problem…

I would love to be in an executive meeting in Kyoto when they are discussing these things as their decisions are frickin lost on me…

#3 1 year ago
  4. Nick Akerman

@Mike W: For those who just want to play console exclusive games (not “heavy gaming” as it were), I’m sure this is pretty annoying.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DrDamn

@Article
    “Nintendo has suggested USB storage can be used, although it isn’t recommended.”

What is recommended then? I thought USB *was* the storage option.

#5 1 year ago
  6. KAP

………..smh.

I love the way there are already people making excuses for this. Yet if PS4 or 720 did this they’ll be the same ones to be up in arms.

This is insane, an just goes to show the demographic there conning. Great job Nintendo. And I very much doubt you can transfer actual games on external HDD. smh.

#6 1 year ago
  7. ManuOtaku

Well i was thinking which one i will get,i havent decide it yet, since the impressions of the black one is that is a magnet for fingerprints,so i was in a fence which one i would finally get, but now is decided i will get the black one at least it will have 27 GB left after the update, so i could buy little inferno and tori tori 2 without any aditional expense in memory devices.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Mike W

Good point

#8 1 year ago
  9. Fin

Wtf, why would they even release an 8GB model if this is the case?

Nintendo really have no idea wtf they’re doing.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Mike W

If you can find it, I will be picking up mine this Sunday, enjoying NG: Razor’s edge. ;)

#10 1 year ago
  11. Bomba Luigi

8 or 3 Gigs – does that really matter? Its not enough anyway when you wanna Download Stuff.
    But you can use any HDD you want and plug in to the WiiU, so I don’t think it really is a big Problem. It’s more like a hard to understand curiosity why Nintendo don’t build in more Space. Maybe Later.

#11 1 year ago
  12. ManuOtaku

#10 Mike I will need to wait till mid december aprox, iam in Venezuela therefore i will need to wait for the import process.

#12 1 year ago
  13. DrDamn

Original 20Gb 360 used 7Gb for the system.

“And I very much doubt you can transfer actual games on external HDD.”

Do you mean you doubt you can use an external USB HDD for games? They have announced and confirmed you can already. The built in storage is more for game saves.

More info on external storage …

NB: It is flash/thumb drives which are not recommended. SD Cards can’t be used for games, but can be used for saves etc.

#13 1 year ago
  14. freedoms_stain

@5, I believe the distinction is between small unpowered USB pendrives/thumbdrives and full on large capacity USB harddrives with their own wall wart.

8GB was a dick move in light of these new circumstances. It really wouldn’t have cost them too much more to bump the packages to 16GB and 64GB, especially at the quantities Nintendo will be buying and the length of the contracts they’ll be securing.

Being able to use 2TB of generic memory is still better than what Microsoft are shilling to their 4GB market.

edit: hot damn you did your own research and beat me to the punch :p

#14 1 year ago
  15. OlderGamer

Hey, I know, lets jump on Nintendo for actualy doing a good thing!!

Sound the battle call….ATTACKKKKKK!

Really guys?

You can attach near any old extrenal HDD and use upto 2TB(I read it was actualy upto 3TB). Now you don’t need to buy perpritory ones with the prices jacked up like MS and Sony offer for extra storage on their systems(XB360 and Vita). The fact that I can go to store and for a VERY reasonable cost come home with a ton of storage is a major bonus for the console. Even better is that I don’t need to open my system up to install the HDD(ala PS3). I can just plug it in. It is cheap and easy.

But your right lets get the pitch forks.

Could Nitendo have more storage? Sure, but then the price would go up, sometimes there needs to be a trade off. The only thing this means to me is that Nintendo has to work with 8GB in the future for their system updates and such.

Anyone remember PSx, you couldn’t even save your game without purchasing a Sony memory card.

#15 1 year ago
  16. JavelinX

Good for piracy. That’s it!

#16 1 year ago
  17. Gadzooks!

Well that’s quite the toepunt to the undercrackers isn’t it?

So not only is 5 gigs of storage redundant, but you’ll have to download that 5 gigs before being able to use the machine? Christ, that’s PS3 levels of inept OS engineering.

As I said after the last WiiU announcement, I’m moving farther from ‘must have’ and closer to ‘forget that shizz’ with every word written about the machine.

Way to dampen entheusiasm Ninty.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Mike W

Take it easy bro, the author is just stating how it might be an annoyance to some.

#18 1 year ago
  19. PEYJ

An external one? I actually prefer the inserted version to avoid to many units. The install process for PS3 isn’t that difficult and time consuming and you still need to format the hard drive for the Wii U. Odd decision in my opinion.

#19 1 year ago
  20. DrDamn

“Btw anyone else find it funny that Nintendo gets lamb basted for having 8GB while MS sells a system with 4GB? Esp when the MS charges so much for their own memory upgrades?”

In this case it’s more what they say and what you get. MS did get lambasted for the 20Gb drives which were reduced to 13Gb usable on initial 360 release. A 4Gb system now is 4Gb usable. Here Nintendo sells you an 8Gb system and only 3Gb of that is then usable.

#20 1 year ago
  21. DrDamn

Original article has “The Basic 8GB Wii U offering has just 3GB space after installing system software and creating a user profile, Nintendo has revealed.” – no mention of needing to download it too.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Gadzooks!

Incidentally, getting “lamb basted” sounds like a particularly delicious way to get burned by hot oil.

Just imagine how tasty the burn scabs would be!

#22 1 year ago
  23. DrDamn

Ewwww! I feel a bit sick … and intrigued …

#23 1 year ago
  24. ManuOtaku

#22 That will depend of which part of the body we are talking about ;)

#24 1 year ago
  25. Joe Musashi

Looks like ‘magic’ costs 5gb.

I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a console that seems to have more varied specs, terms, codes, labels, ids, points, achievements, online and other features than the Wii-U. And half of what you read appears to need a little technical disclaimer about how what is said isn’t how it actually works out.

I’m quite happy to let the early adopters and blind devotees be the guinea-pigs on this one.

JM

#25 1 year ago
  26. lexph3re

Wow… Lot’s of justifications for this. So, let’s get something straight….. It is recommended that you use a wall mounted HDD? So not only would you have to plug in your Wii U but plug in the “recommended” HDD. Just…. wow… that’s an inconvenience.

I’ll wait for the Hardware revision with larger internal memory. You guys can have fun with this launch.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Telepathic.Geometry

@OlderGamer: I’m pretty sure MS get shit for virtually every move they make all the time too.

And in light of the fact that the 8GB version has a theoretical max of 3GB usable space, which is obviously intended for future updates and save files, I think that they shouldn’t advertise it as 8GB at all. They should just call the 32GB one a 24GB Wii U, and the 8GB as 0GB. Nintendo were always good about being honest about the realistic performance of their hardware in the past, I think that they should avoid misleading customers in this case too.

ALSO! I have a 1TB Time Machine, but I’ll be fucked if I’m hooking it up to my Nintendo. Nintendo has an online store so we will need storage space. So give it to us FFS. 100GB or so. Ye gave us an HDMI cable, so why not storage space? I mean, that is the pro system, right? WTF stop at 25GB? That’s not worth a shite. Go large or go home Ninty…

#27 1 year ago
  28. ManuOtaku

I think all the inconveniences will be forgotten as soon as the user is playing the good games, this happens with all consoles including ps3 and 360 too, and i got the feeling it will be the same with the WiiU, i will not mind them that much once i will be having a blast, for instance i having a blast with darksiders 2 on the ps3 and really i dont mind the encountered inconviences, i know they are still there, is just that playing the game i dont think on them,and i dont mind them, the first thing is having fun with the game and the console, everything else, is a second thing, really.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Mike W

Why are you so defensive? Just buy a bigger hard-drive and be done with it. They could’ve done a shady move like MS and told us if you want a bigger hard drive, you’ll have to buy from Nintendo and no one else.

#29 1 year ago
  30. monkeygourmet

I love how many supposedly ‘intelligent’ gamers become complete idiots when talking about the Wii U.

It’s really not that difficult to understand how the console works or the features it has available if you actually bother to listen.

Half the time, people are making random comments that have little in relation to reality.

The memory can be upgraded with ANY external hard drive…

How this is being turned into a negative point is beyond me.

If you go for the pro model, it’s not even an issue, plus you get loads more stuff in the package.

If you wanted to comment on the point of releasing this console SKU, that would be more fair. But you’d also have to point the same arguement at Sony and MS too as they have equally cheap ‘starter’ models.

It’s like your all being thick as shit for the sake of it. It’s not even good trolling.

If Nintendo had made you purchase a Nintendo official HD (ala Sony & Vita) for a high premium price, then yeah, go nuts at them. But complaining about this is just weird…

Before any:

“Nintendo need to explain how this console works better arguements”…

Maybe to soccer mom’s, grandparents etc… But that kind of demographic are idiots when it comes to tech anyway.

E.g. I was in Blockbuster yesterday and the staff member was having to explain to a Mum you could actually delete files off the 360 HD, you didn’t have to purchase a brand new HD everyime you ran out of space.

There are always people who don’t know how basic tech works, but hearing the backlash against this from tech savvy people is just weird.

Its a god send being able to use the external HD’s I have kicking around.

For the average customer (I talked about above), well, they’ll just get sold as much shit as the sales person can get away with… Screen protectors, Wiimote polish, a left handed Wii remote etc…

#30 1 year ago
  31. Telepathic.Geometry

sigh x 1,000

#31 1 year ago
  32. Gekidami

#32 1 year ago
  33. OlderGamer

I think you missed something somewhere Gek. But by all means carry on.

#33 1 year ago