Saturday, 13th October 2012 22:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Warren Spector believes the future of games lies in connectivity between consoles and smartphones.

Speaking with Polygon, Spector said Disney CEO John Pleasants has made “a very compelling case for the future,” in that gaming needs to be diverse and on the go.

Spector said in the future, he would like to explore “the connection between the little supercomputer we all have in our pockets and [consoles].”

“How do you make game that… I’m going to use a charged word, but how do you make a real game on a device that has no buttons or sticks? ” Spector asked. “I have no idea. How do you make a real game on a device where a user — which is all of us — where the user’s been trained to expect an experience they can get to in 5 minutes while they’re waiting on line for a cup of coffee? I have no idea.”

Spector expects portable platforms to be more powerful than the next PlayStation, and may connect to television sets. With over a billion smartphone users, he suspects that is the market to target with development.

“I’ve been doing this for 30 years,” Spector said. “I make the games I want to make. I’m going to continue to do that [...] Anybody who doesn’t work for Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo, who isn’t thinking about how do I get a billion people with an Android, iOS or Microsoft phone in their pocket…how they interact with my hardware… If they’re not thinking about that, they’re not thinking hard enough.”

Spector’s Epic Mickey 2 and Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion are slated for release later this year.

1. Old MacDonald

It’s strange how they all lose their minds after a few too many years making games. Maybe the industry is cursed.

2. Sini

poor spector, gotta make cartoony disney games while the other guy from deus ex goes to make dishonored.

3. The_Red

So he wants more SmartGlass?

4. RoyBrown

Who cares about getting billions with smart phones buying your game?

You can’t please everyone in this life.

Just make a game you would enjoy, that’s all anyone asks for.

We have choice for a reason, you don’t need to make games that cater to everyone.

I for 1, think touch screen games are pretty shit, but that’s my choice.

It’s actually very easy to say, I just want to make a good game, instead of saying, I want to be a billionaire and please everyone.

Seriously, this guy has lost the plot.

5. Bomba Luigi

I am a poor Guy then. I refuse to buy any Smartphone or Tablet or whatever. hate these things.

6. polygem

@5: you are a clever guy actually!

7. Nath_gamer

@4. I totally agree, no-one should be making a game to cater for everyone, each and every person is unique and everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes, I for one hate Angry Birds, yet it’s the most downloaded game of all time, and my favourite game is Killzone 3 and it hardly got the reception it deserved, how is that fair.