Dishonored designer ambivalent regarding a sequel

Friday, 12th October 2012 16:22 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Dishonored designer Harvey Smith has said part of him would like the game to be a one-off; yet at the same time, he’s also interested in exploring the game’s universe further.

Speaking with Kotaku, Smith said he can’t really say either way at this point due to the first title just releasing this week.

“Part of me would love to see future games leverage this world,” he said. “And part of me would love it if the vault door was just closed and that’s it.

“This is your one view into the Empire of the Isles and into the city of Dunwall.”

Dishonored is out today in the UK, and review scores for the game have been positive. Even Brenna, Dave, and Pat seem to like it.

1. Omelette

Deus Ex was a very good game on its own. It didn’t need sequel. If this is a very good game on its own too, which means it has a satisfying ending, then that’s it. They just need to make another good one in another universe, so the designers won’t get bored like in Mass Effect (:

2. hives

@1 – But this is not Deus Ex. The lore of Dishonored, the world… It’s just SO big and there is so little of it in this game, it’s just hurts. Also – some things from main story aren’t even explained. What about Outsider?

We need second game. It’s cool that they aren’t working on it already, but I’d like it to happen. In two years, or three… Just let it come. Because what else do we have, when it comes to stealth? Thief 4 is far away, and that’s it. That’s why we need a sequel from Arkane.

3. roadkill

@1 Deus Ex didn’t need a sequel but Human Revolution certainly didn’t hurt. :) I loved it! My point: sequels can be awesome if done right.

@2 I agree with you. But how do you know Thief 4 is far away? I think they will announce it at 2013 E3 and then release it sometime in late 2013 – early 2014. 5 years of development should be enough.

4. GwynbleiddiuM

The thing is it doesn’t have to be a sequel. I think the devs are comfortable with how this one ended, there can always be a whole new set of story and characters. At this point they’re just teasing us, I think there will be another installment in Dishonored, not this gen of course.

5. Nath_gamer

If they will do another Dishonored it will be this generation, there are still years of first and third party title coming to PS3, I don’t know about xbox, but it will be at least 3 more years until developers can comfortably move into the next generation. I mean of course in entirety, meaning that yeah maybe every studio will have one game in next gen for starters but it will be a while until they are comfortable releasing all of their games on next gen. even if they do all their games on next gen, what’s the bet that half of them will have previous gen versions of the game, like now with the PS2.

6. Phoenixblight

All the game manufacturers entice developers to come to the next with reducing the cost of licenses, the dev kit and what have you. I wouldn’t expect a lot of developers staying with current gen once the flood gates open especially the triple A publishers and devs.

7. Nath_gamer

Yeah that’s exactly what I meant, of course all the major developers will be on board but it wouldn’t surprise me if half of the games they make have previous gen versions.