Skryim Hearthfire PS3 delay ‘It’s our problem, and it’s on us to solve it’ – Bethesda

Friday, 5th October 2012 10:58 GMT By Dave Cook

Skyrim Hearthfire has launched on Steam, but Bethesda’s Pete Hines has taken to Twitter to discuss the delay of Hearthfire and Dawnguard on PS3, adding that in bringing the content to Sony’s console, “The performance isn’t good enough in all cases.”

Hearthfire launched on Steam today at £3.49, and it lets players create their own home, decor and much more. However, PS3 players are still waiting for the game’s first expansion Dawnguard, and patience is wearing thin for many.

Speaking on Twitter, Bethesda head Pete Hines said of the PS3 expansion status, “We’re still on it. Will share update when I have one.”

When asked for a reason as to the PS3 delay, Hines replied, “The performance isn’t good enough in all cases. For most folks, it’d be fine. For some, it wouldn’t be.”

Hines was then targeted by an angry fan who asked Hines to stop using PS3 hardware and Sony as an excuse, to which he replied, “We’ve never blamed anyone or anything. It’s our problem, and it’s on us to solve it.”

It seems like this issue isn’t going to go away for some. What do you make of the delay? Let us know below.

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. Lord Gremlin

Well, let’s be honest Skyrim on PS3 is just not up to minimum PS3 standard. Look at games like Dragon’s Dogma, Infamous, Two Worlds 2, then look at Skyrim. Looks like shit, runs like shit, lazy, broken port. Worse than DMC3 PC port.
    I have it on Steam myself, abandoned 5 hours in though, after those greybeard dudes, so no interest in DLC. Many people like it though.

2. Mike W

I know fans of Skyrim are pissed off to the highest level. Hey Dave I wish you and the rest of the journalists like you were around when this game came out, because it’s a piece of shit on all platforms. I just don’t understand how Bethesda games keep getting pass on their games that are clearly broken, when it comes time to review it.

3. KAP

Damn right Bethesda.

4. The_Red

I still can’t believe the PS3 version of Skyrim got the same 9s and 10s that other 2 versions got. This shows a HUGE problem with gaming journalism. Seriously, it proves that 99 percent of them just reviewed the game on either 360 or PC and then gave the same score to PS3 version (The more professional ones probably tried PS3 version for 5 minutes and missed all the problems with that horrible port).

5. Talkar

^Or it proves that the games journalists are easily bought. Both are bad…

6. chic

w w w . c h i c – g o o d s . u s
    hello,This is a wholesaler’s web site.

Items, fashion, and: popular personality.

Product quality,commodity price is absolutely!

Always deeply overseas friends love and support.

Please stop you progress in your choice so, need!!!!!

w w w . c h i c – g o o d s . u s

7. Gadzooks!

Or it proves they don’t have the time to play through multiple versions, or aren’t payed to.

Digital foundry do that kind of platform testing. Your average review simply cannot, and it’s unrealistic to expect them to.

Try platform-specific review sites instead maybe?

8. Hcw87

What the crybabies above fail to realize is that Skyrim is far bigger than Dragon’s Dogma/Two Worlds 2 etc, both in terms of pure scope and actual content. It’s impossible to release a game this size without any bugs. Me on the other hand, have played over 150 hours and not found a single game-breaking bug. Actually, i haven’t found anything resembling a bug at all. You can’t play a game like this for 5 hours and dismiss it as ”not up to PS3 minimum standards” like @1 does. Maybe blame the poor hardware instead, and invest in a PC or a proper console.

Yes, i went there. Multiplatform games allways lag behind on the PS3.

9. SlayerGT

I personally don’t care about the dlc. I just wish they could fix the core game. I’ve put probly 150 hours in also. Before any patches my game would start to lag pretty bad after an hour or so of play time. But since they patched it like the third time I think..if my character touches a body of water the game freezes. I haven’t touched the game in months and was like 3 or 4 quest from the end. I def regret buying the special edition :/

10. Beta

Of course it’s your problem Bethesda.. This is taking forever, I wish they’d let us know what the problems are rather than just saying “sorry, still broken” once a fortnight.

11. Mike W

“Invest in a PC or proper console”

Wow, the stupidity from some people is just beyond human comprehension.

12. Deacon

@8 – “your fault. Should’ve bought it for another platform” is effectively what you’re saying?

GTFO man. This is all on Bethesda.

13. Mike W

He’s just another dickhead fanboy, just ignore him.

14. viralshag

I have to say I have Skyrim on the PC and I don’t remember running into too many issues, if any at all. I don’t think I have played it for as long as some of the other guys here, I would have to check Steam.

I thought it was a good game though. I feel for the people who got the PS3 version.

15. Unknown_Gamer

Its an Excuse to make the DLC’s only for micro$oft !

Worst game i’v ever seen , I don’t understand the hype .

16. Cobra951

Bethesda can barely make their games technically acceptable on hardware they’re familiar with. Is is such a surprise that they just don’t make the cut with hardware they find more challenging?

17. Gadzooks!

I put well over 100 hours into Skyrim and never hit a single bug.

Considering the scope and freedom in the game it’s a technical masterpiece as well as a superb piece of design, artwork and story.

Issues with one platform take nothing away from that.

18. Deacon

That’s a rather selfish take on things mate… but fair enough.

Even if I was playing on PC/360, I’d still think less of Bethesda over their handling of the PS3 version.

It almost sounds as if you’re happy they got a bum deal! Surely not?! ;)

19. Gadzooks!

#18

Quite the antagonist today aren’t we?

I was responding to the trite comment about Skyrim being technically deficient on all platforms. Simple fact is that it isn’t.

I couldn’t care less about how the PS3 version plays. Why should I?

20. Deacon

Well yeah, I hear the 360 version had a few issues of it’s own, and for us on PS3 it’s just laughable.
    It’s the furthest thing from a ‘technical masterpiece’ you could get, hence your comment drew my unrelenting irk. Seems I’m going to have to bite the bullet and invest in a modern rig so as to play these games in their true form.

I’m sorry man. I don’t recall us clashing like this before. My hormones are all over the place today.

Tech issues aside, it’s far too fucking easy to hold my attention anyway. 60+ hours wasted for me.
    Lovely soundtrack though.

21. NiceFellow

@17 oh rubbish. It is a complex title but it’s certainly not a technical masterpiece. The code is glitchy on all platforms as has been well reported. Don’t make the mistake of taking your single proof point as being definitive.

It’s pretty stable on PC (which I play it on) but to be truthfully the extra horsepower the average gaming PC has is bailing them out a bit there. On 360 it’s a bit worse but decent but numerous glitches and code issues have been well reported. On PS3 it’s unstable and the code clearly not well optimized.

Ever looked at reading the patch notes? They make it clear the bugs being cleared up each time one releases.

Obviously from a percentage viewpoint most people will be fine, particularly on PC and 360, less so on PS3 although even there since the major patch it appears fairly stable for most – you’re just one of the lucky majority (as am I with over 200 hours and only one crash and a couple of odd glitches and scripting failures) but that doesn’t render the larger situation invalid which is that this game has sold millions and that means even an unlucky 10% or so of players is a lot of people negatively affected.

But your comment @19 makes it clear you only care about one platform and defend anything to do with it rather than actually consider the broader consumer issue here which is pretty appalling. If Skyrim was a physical product rather than a piece of gaming software Bethesda would be drowning in lawsuits by now and deservedly so.

22. Gadzooks!

#20

I waited a while before playing Skyrim so had a patch available before starting. Seems to be the wise thing to do with openworld/RPG games.

I don’t envy the QA guys on games like this. Got to be one of the toughest jobs in development.

23. TD_Monstrous69

On a personal level, I really can’t sympathize too much with people who’ve had problems with the PS3 version of Skyrim. Mainly because for what I’ve played of it (which was about a good 30-35 hours on my PS3), I hadn’t really had that many issues with it (at least to the point of it being game-breaking). Though hearing about issues like these, all while I was playing Skyrim on my PS3, was dis-heartening. Because it had finally felt like Bethesda had done right by the PS3, and had gotten over their previous problems they’ve had with the PS3. I was somewhat sad, and dis-heartened to see that wasn’t the case when it came to the technical issues I had heard about, and development and distribution of the dlc. Though I wasn’t expecting anything special from Bethesda on Skyrim for the PS3, seeing as how they signed that little timed-exclusivity deal with Microsoft on dlc, as well as again, their past with the PS3. But I’d at least expect that this would be released in a timely manner after MS’s exclusive time was up, again, sad to see I was wrong. But then to hear Pete Hines from Bethesda saying things like they couldn’t anticipate the problems they were getting with the PS3 versions of Dawnguard and Hearthfire is simply unexcusealbe (doubly so on Hearthfire if you ask me, seeing as how all that dlc adds is the ability to buy land, build a house, adopt kids, hire people to take care of your house and the kids, and some new type of crafting station). I mean, they’ve been developing games on the PS3 for about 5 years, you’d think they have proper support in place, again, sad to see I’m mistaken. Skyrim is still a great game, no matter what platform you play it on. But seeing problems like this still pop up with a developer that’s as great as it is creatively, is just really sad.

24. Christopher Jack

I have played it on both consoles & own it on PC. Each one has their own problems.

25. Dragon246

You could smell the fishiness when reviewers got hold of 360 and pc version. But they willfully chose to ignore that and put the stupid 360/ps3 review tag in their reviews.

26. ps3fanboy

Dishonored is next game coming out from Bethesda. if you guys have not learned from Bethesda bug ridden earlier releases and buy Dishonored. you have no right no whine about this game ever…

boycott Dishonored now!!!

27. TD_Monstrous69

@26 Why would you boycott Dishonored over problems with Skyrim? Dishonored is what the industry needs, and what more people should buy (namingly, new IP’s) instead of the same yearly-iterated crap that’s always released.

28. Phoenixblight

Business practice would be one reason to boycott the game especially with how bug ridden Brink was and all their games that they have developed and published. Not to support Bathesda telling them they don’t want bug-ridden games.

29. Jerykk

People claiming to never having encountered any bugs within a 100+ hour playtime are either lying or have a very strange definition of “bug.” Bugs aren’t limited to crashes or game-breakers. They also include clipping issues, floating objects, wonky physics, pathfinding issues, z-sorting issues, collision issues, etc. If you’re telling me you never encountered any of those, your 100+ hours of gameplay must have been spent standing completely still and not doing anything.

30. SlayerGT

@23 watch your save file. When you get to 10mb is when you’ll start having issues..if you do at all.

31. Gadzooks!

There was some funny physics in places. A lot of amusing ragdolls, but I wouldn’t really call those bugs.

It’s just there’s so much going on in the game that they can’t implement more advanced physics engines.

You have to accept compromises in games with such scope.

32. Moonwalker1982

I have a total time of like 300 hours or so in Skyrim on 360. Have done alot of things, finished alot. And only after like 200 hours i encountered some ‘misc quests’ bugs and a bug in the main story. Nothing game breaking for me though.

33. Kuwabara

stop complaining, theres plenty of AAA/AA games that should keep you busy till it releases!!

34. Digital Bamboo

130hrs on PS3 & I’ve encountered no game-breaking major issues. Sure, it froze 4 times, & I’ve seen some weird shit, but nothing I’d consider a big deal.

I didn’t use fast travel for at least the first 50 hours (to encourage exploration) & admittedly I stopped using horses for a good chunk of it because riding them seemed to be working the system too hard (choppy), but whatever. Horses work fine now with the new patches.

For me, the more serious issues existed within the game design itself, the poor interface & somewhat clunky combat. Even still, I enjoyed it very much, but it’s a shame that these technical issues have marred the experience for so many others.

35. Giskard

While a game shouldn’t be released in this state for any console, it seems to happen only to the PS3.

Been playing Skyrim just fine for 100h+ (on PC), with the only bug being falling mammoths.