Wed, Oct 03, 2012 | 13:46 BST
John Romero’s new studio Kickstarting an old-school RPG project
Brenda Brathwaite, founder of Wizardry, and wife of ex-id Software developer John Romero, has teamed up with Ion Storm co-founder Tom Hall on a new Kickstarter project. It’s an old-school RPG and they’re looking for $1 million in funding.
Eurogamer reports that the project, which is currently called ‘Old School Role-Playing Game’, needs $1 million to get off the ground, with a stretch goal to make a second game if the project hits $1.9 million.
You can check out the project and its funding goals here. The developer is listed as Loot Drop, suggesting the pair have formed a new studio.
Here’s a quick list of the game’s proposed features:
- Characters: Create a group of up to 4 characters, choosing from multiple races and professions.
- Skills: Balance your characters’ strengths, weaknesses and skills, knowing each of them affects play.
- Progression: Gain experience and gain levels to hone your characters to your exact liking.
- Recruitable Characters: Hire NPCs to work with you, if you trust them, or allow them to hire you to be their guide.
- Character Extensions (Stretch Goal): Wrestle with the old-school favorites from back in the paper days – alignment, age, rank and randomly-rolled temperament.
- Exploration: Explore a richly detailed world, home to unique, dangerous and sometimes crafty creatures who may be friend or foe.
- Treasure: Loot castles, caverns and dungeons and defeat hordes of creatures in a world where your skill and cunning are key.
- NPCs: At least five known NPC races call this world home. Forge alliances with them and do their bidding – or be their undoing.
- Quests: Solve hundreds of quests on your way to discovering and uncovering the secrets of the world.
- Multiple Endings: The smallest of intentions sometimes matters far more than you know. It is a world alive with memories.
- Multiple Beginnings (Stretch Goal): The endings in one game affect the beginnings in another. Import your characters from one world to another.
- Combat: Turn-based combat harkens back to the days when spells and swords hit hard and last-second healing spells saved the day.
- NPC Enemies (Stretch Goal): What once was a relatively peaceful world becomes much more dangerous not only for you, but for those who live there. New NPCs come complete with an expanded game area and quests.
- Super Hardcore Mode (Stretch Goal) : Challenge yourself with Permadeath mode, no-save option and some optional but barely beatable bosses with the loot to prove their worth.
- Pen & Paper RPG ($60 Reward Tier): Gather around a table and enjoy playing Old School RPG the seriously, really old school way.
- Two Games, One Kickstarter ($1.9M Stretch Goal): Brenda and Tom make different, separate RPGs with unique worlds, quests and characters.
What do you think? Will you invest? Let us know below.