Mists of Pandaria sales below expectations, says analyst firm

Friday, 28th September 2012 02:08 GMT By Brenna Hillier

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria has failed to repeat the impressive sales performance of previous expansions, Lazard Capital Markets believes.

The firm’s analysts told VentureBeat that they estimate Mists of Pandaria has shifted just 600,000 to 700,000 at retail during launch week so far.

That’s about 60% down from Cataclysm, which went on to sell 3.3 million units. Historically, each new World of Warcraft expansions has outsold its precursors to set a new sales record. The firm also noted that digital sales are unlikely to bridge the gap.

Blizzard has not yet made any announcement regarding sales figures; it’s probably best to wait for a press release or the NPD’s monthly report before cashing in your shares.

World of Warcraft has noted flagging subscriber levels over the past few years and its decreasing performance has made investors wary of Activision Blizzard; the MMORPG accounts for about 25% of its revenue.

Thanks, Blue.

1. Se_7_eN

Can’t say “I didn’t see this coming”. IMO, Guild Wars 2 is just simply better in every way.

2. Phoenixblight

Jumping the gun a bit? THey don’t have numbers to know what the expansion has or hasn’t shifted. THey are SPECULATING . Better to wait until it comes out BLizzards mouth at the end of a quarter not some blow hards that have nothing to base their info off of.

3. DSB

It doesn’t make any sense that Cataclysm would have only sold 3,3 million copies either though.

Either there’s something wrong with their math, or digital is well over half their sales.

4. Phoenixblight

“That being said, it’s not like WoW is going to rebound. It’s an 8 year old game. People have been there and done that. Nobody plays the same game for that amount of time.”

I did just for the expansion and I am not the only one either half of my friendlist(10 people) were online too along with my wife that plays it a few hours a week since it launched. Now that it has this pet bettle game she is playing it more since she has collected most of the non-combat pets since launch she can use them in a way thats fun for her.

5. DSB

You think the subs are gonna go up permanently?

6. Phoenixblight

Oh no but they do for the expansions and than few months later they will be gone.

7. TheWulf

The well had to run dry at some point. That’s all that’s happening, here. Franchises die. That there are good, cheaper alternatives to playing WoW probably doesn’t hurt, either.

8. BootLace

The digital sales side of WoW is just so streamlined now, I can’t see why anyone would buy physical beyond the special edition collector.

The expansion was pre-loaded and ready for all WoW users well before the launch time. The only difference between someone with or without MoP was a flag at the Blizzard database.

9. Sini

Fat. Panda. Monks.

10. GwynbleiddiuM

This is BS, as someone who experienced server crashes on 3 different realms, I can tell that MoP didn’t do as bad as all the WoW haters are hopping. the amount of people on Skyfire battleship and Jade Forest on the launch day made the game unplayable for better half of the day on many realms, server queues went up so hard that they had to put FCM for top realms both on EU and US.

Glorified Guild Wars 2 sold a little more than 2 million units in first week since it launched. I’m pretty sure that MoP sold at least 2 times more than GW2.

@8 True, I only have Wrath of the Lich King boxed and that is because I bought the CE, the rest of it is digital. And also many went for digital deluxe because it came with mount and stuff.

11. Mineral4r7s

@10 old truths stay true, never play on a patch day

12. GwynbleiddiuM

@11 Well cataclysm patch day went smooth really. :D

13. viralshag

Subs are going down, digital sales are going up. If you couldn’t predict that retail sales would start to get lower as time goes on I would say you’re doing a shit job as an analyst.

14. Gadzooks!

Guild wars 2 was too tempting for the missus. She ditched WoW and it’s sub, and went GW2 and is absolutely loving it.

GW2 is the game that will topple WoW. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon.

It is the death of subscription MMO’s.

15. DSB

So the prophecy has foretold!

I reckon Guild Wars 2 would’ve done just as well as a subscription MMO, or hybrid-model. The business model doesn’t make the game.

Personally I think it would’ve been better without the gem-pushing.

16. viralshag

I’m not sure about GW2. Speaking from my experience only myself and a few others have already put it on the shelf.

It’s a fun game and a great step in the right direction for MMOs but for me it just got a little too repetitive and uninteresting.

17. DSB

@16 Honestly I haven’t touched it since FTL and Borderlands 2 came out, but I’d put that down to general MMO-fatigue. It has a lot of cool gimmicks, but beyond that it’s also more of the same.

If I was going to put any kind of meaningful time into an MMO though, it would probably be Guild Wars 2. Still haven’t tried SWTOR :P

18. viralshag

@17, Well yeah, Borderlands 2 was pretty much my GW2 “killer” too but I definitely don’t have any immediate draw to go back to it. I would rather check out MoP, the new TOR stuff and the Rift expansion first.

19. Kabby

It’s WoW, it’s stale but the levelling and world design are much better than WotLK and Cataclysm. Although much like earlier expansions you get the feeling some areas are not finished to Ikea standards.

One massive weak point so far is the dungeons. They are flat out terrible and are below the low bar set by WotLK.

Professions are woefully easy to level. You can now proc blues from green crafts on some items.

PC wise the game should run OK if you ran Cataclysm.

20. OlderGamer

I would have a hard time believing that boxed sales even make up half of the total sales numbers. I would fully expect that sales are off from Cati. No one I know(offline) has bought the xpac. That doesn’t mean anything, I am sure some guy will claim that all of his friends own it.

Just depends on what social friends you run with. Know hardcore raiders? They prolly all upgraded. Hang with a more diversified crowd, they prolly didn’t.

But I can tell you this is the first time an xpac has launched that I haven’t bought it. And really it has been at least two copies scince BC. Three Litch King. Four Cati. This time, none. I might get it down the road, maybe. But not at launch.

I would imagine that WoW is going to run out of steam at somepoint. But I bet that the day when it doesn’t matter is still years away.

21. TheWulf

What gem pushing? Guild Wars 2 has none.

Myself, I’m actually irritated that the store doesn’t have more cosmetic items, because the only things I’ve bought are the costumes (the chef and pirate outfits). I’ve felt no desire or need to get anything else, despite that I would like more.

A friend of mine is past 70 and has only gotten one bank upgrade in all the time he’s been playing. And he got that bank upgrade with in-game money. You can exchange gems for in-game money, and the amount of gems you get from that yield is absolutely ridiculous. So you don’t even need to buy gems with actual money.

So… what gem pushing? I know you have an anti-GW2 agenda, but could you at least ground your arguments in reality? I’ve had to call you on your bull so often that I’m feeling fatigued from the effort.

I’m almost tempted to think that you misread an article about how the in-game shop works and then ran off on a mad tirade, as you so frequently do. That is your wont. Reading comprehension isn’t exactly your forte.

22. absolutezero

“I know you have an anti-GW2 agenda”

I would so totally push your gems right now. So hard.

23. DSB

This seems apt:

“If [MMO company] is as healthy as everyone claims, it certainly doesn’t need people heroically jumping to its defence, does it?”

What’s that Lassie? ArenaNet are in trouble?!

I’m so anti-GW2, I bought the game, played it, enjoyed it, and recommended it.

So. How’s your depression going?