Greg Zeschuk, Ray Muzyka announce BioWare departure

Tuesday, 18th September 2012 19:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

BioWare co-founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk have both announced they are leaving BioWare. Neither indicate a return to video games in the forseeable future.

Both have written blogs to discuss their retirement.

Ray Muzyka said he has “decided to move on to pursue an entirely different set of challenges,” noting his decision to retire from video games was made “back in April 2012,” when he gave EA “six months’ notice.”

“I feel the need now to move on to a new chapter in my career,” said Muzyka. “With the growth of BioWare to multiple locations as part of a public company, following two decades of multiple successful product launches across many platforms and business models, I’ve largely personally achieved what I wanted in videogames; I now desire to take on a brand new entrepreneurial challenge.

“I believe strongly in the power of free enterprise to enable sustainable change, so my next ‘chapter’ will likely focus on an entirely new industry, something exciting, different and frankly downright scary – investing in and mentoring new entrepreneurs, and more specifically, the field of social/impact investing.”

Zeschuk said he has “decided it’s time to move on and pursue something new,” and it was a decision he made with himself and family in mind.

“I’ve reached an unexpected point in my life where I no longer have the passion that I once did for the company, for the games, and for the challenge of creation,” he said.

“For the people I have had the privilege of working with, however, my passion burns as brightly as it did the day we started. The people I work with now, and that I have worked with in the past, have inspired me and really made all of the challenges we’ve collectively faced over the years worthwhile.

“Some of you will be curious what I’ll be doing next, and I can state that I’m not going to be working in games for a while, and there’s a strong possibility that I won’t be back. After my departure I’m going to be spending significant time with family and friends, as well as pursuing some personal passion-driven projects related to craft beer.

“The main project I will be working on is a web-based interview show called The Beer Diaries where I interview notable brewers and showcase their beers. If things go well, I’ll work on other beer-related shows, apps and projects. If not, I’ll have drunk a lot of tasty beers and may be back in games or even something else completely different. Ultimately time will tell.”

Rumors of the duo’s departure have been swirling regarding Muzyka’s departure since spring, and back in August, rumors regarding both he and Zeschuk’s departure surfaced.

1. LuLshuck

Sheeeiiiittttt

2. thesamy

i hope they will open new studio and create games like the old times!!

3. DSB

Bullfrog 2.0

4. Ireland Michael

@2 They’re both moving out of the games industry completely.

Rest in peace BioWare. It’s been fun.

5. thesamy

damn :(

6. Phoenixblight

These two have always been about the bottom line(money) I am glad they stayed as long as they did but you have to move on. My goal is to do something similar bust my ass for a decade or two in this industry and then go do something entirely different comfortably.

I wish them the best of luck in their future projects.

7. The_Red

The decline in quality of BioWare’s work has been more than obvious. Well done EA. From uber classics like Baldur’s Gate to… uber rush jobs like Dragon Age 2.

That being said, with the big two moving out of gaming completely, I won’t say it’s another Bullfrog but yeah, this SUCKS.

8. Ashlen

Translation: Working for EA sucks, I’m out!

9. Talkar

@7 & @8
    Geez guys, you don’t pass up a chance, no matter how minor it is to flame EA do ye?

10. Warlock

not open new studio retirement for ever from video games

11. Lord Gremlin

So, basically upcoming Bioware games will be so shit that all talented people run away now,while they still have good resume and good track of created games. At some point “you’re one of idiots who made that shitty Dragon Age 3″ will be a thing.
    They say they retire from videogames. Well, who knows. Another one’s mind is impossible to read.

12. The_Red

Name one EA owned studio that they didn’t destroy / ruin / lower. Remember the original Medal of Honor team (Now back at Respawn… worried about them)? Bullfrog? Westwood? DICE? Criterion?

Sure, the last 2 still exists but look at them. Criterion used to make cutting edge games and GOTY contenders like Burnout 3 / Revenge. Now they’re the NFS factory. DICE? Yeah, original BF games were great. Now? Engine maker and BF factory (BF4 is already on the way, just like how fast C&C4 was announced after C&C3).

13. DSB

Don’t forget the guy that made Plants versus Zombies, who they actually fired, or the Dead Space guys who ended up over at Activision.

14. Phoenixblight

Ray and Greg were only talented with what direction the games went in order to bring them money nothing more. They weren’t there for the day in and day out of the production they just made sure they made dead lines and the standard of their’s was met.

They weren’t Randy Pitchford. They were the stereotypical suits. THese guys will still be getting paid for BIoware now they just don’t have to deal with the politics.

15. OlderGamer

I wouldn’t buy a studio these days. Why would you, you buy it, and everyone leaves, and all you are left with the logo on the door.

Prolly why no one is bitting on buying Acti/Blizz. Most of these companies are over valued anyways. In the games industry you have to prove your worth, not on what you have done, but instead on what your about to do.

Would be like paying top money for an aging footballer, sure he might make the Hall of Fame, but his past acolades won’t win you the game today.

16. DSB

@15 You’re forgetting about contracts. All that is checked before anyone buys anything.

Otherwise Vivendi might sell you Activision, and just rehire all the guys back under a new company. I mean potentially.

17. OlderGamer

True, but it does seem to happen. Talent jumps like rats on a sinking ship.

18. DSB

That’s because leadership matters.

The exact same thing happened to Bullfrog in the 90′s. Molyneux assured everyone that nothing would change, but reality was that everything changed. And then he did the exact same thing by selling to Microsoft the second time.

You go from being an independent company lead by a guy you believe in, to being lead by guys who have no idea who you are, what you’re capable of, or what you’re comfortable with.

You’re a number on a piece of paper to be used as a resource, instead of as a person or an artist.

There’s a pretty great article on the Escapist about Mucky Foot, a group of guys who left Bullfrog. They said they knew they had to leave, when they got dragged into the office and told off for running in the hallway.

19. YoungZer0

“They said they knew they had to leave, when they got dragged into the office and told off for running in the hallway.”

What? Seriously?

20. Da Man

So two people who decided to make money elsewhere leave, and overenthusiastic nerds debate driving forces behind people who make money off them.

This is new.

21. DSB

@19 I’m guessing it was symptomatic of the change in style.

It’s a great article.

22. NeoSquall

Blimey!

23. fearmonkey

Well It’s the end of an era… Bioware Edmonton was always a great studio and I was saddened to see EA buy them, and ever sadder when EA ruined the name bioware by making everything “Bioware”, but I suspected then this day was coming.

I figured they would leave eventually, they made their money selling off Bioware, and would stick it out for awhile, either by choice or by contract. When They became higher ups, I figured that wasn’t going to last and it looks like I was right.

I’m sure they are burned out after their experiences at EA, they don’t need the money, and would rather do something else now. Maybe they might eventually get back into gaming somehow, but it would be a later time after they had a chance to relax and do something different.

Not sure how this will impact EA, i imagine it won’t impact them much.
    Hopefully they leave Bioware Edmonton alone so they can create more “real” Bioware games, and revert the other studios back to EA Austin, EA pittsville, EA whatever.

24. absolutezero

At least they still have David Gaider right guys?

Guys?

25. Hellhound30x

Anyone else not see this coming? (SARCASM!)

26. Hunam

This is fucking huge. Bioware just lost it’s main guys meaning EA guys are going to move in. Yikes. Bullfrog all over again.

27. Sublimeone

Ahhh Criterion Games – My fav. game will always be Black.

28. zinc

I like his plan. Kick back and write a blog about beer :-)