Dead Space 3 aiming for “quad-A” with series evolution

Monday, 10th September 2012 01:34 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Dead Space 3 executive producer Steve Papoutsis says Visceral is going above and beyond “triple-A” with the horror sequel.

“We want to excel. We want to deliver a game that’s quad-A, that’s beyond what we’ve done before,” the developer told CVG.

“A lot of people say ‘triple-A’ and that’s kind of become the norm, with all the ‘big triple-A games’ yadda yadda. No. We want to go beyond triple-A. We want to push to the next level. We’ve taken up just saying ‘quad-A’ all day.”

The term “triple-A” came into common use as a way to describe high production value projects and is now frequently used to differentiate between big-budget traditional games and new wave release.

This notion going beyond industry standard fits with Papoutsis’ description of Visceral’s other aims with Dead Space 3; using the game’s audio as an example, he said the series has noticeably evolved. The narrative will follow suit.

“We asked ourselves: ‘what’s everything going towards?’ – and it was going towards a big showdown, towards getting answers for the questions that have been laid out,” he said.

“And with that concept, we needed to go to Tau Volantis.”

Dead Space 3 is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in February 2013.

1. ejams

It looks as if though they’ve hit quad-A compared to the other games in every aspect other than the original premise; being alone far away from civilization, getting mentally unstable and being scared out of your wits as you try and survive.

Still looks like a lot of fun especially the gun variations.

2. Ireland Michael

Wow, they’re really bloody desperate to make people give a shit about this, aren’t they?

This is going to flop hardcore.

3. zinc

Gamer preconceptions , more horrific than any Necromorph.

4. Phoenixblight

They haven’t said anything other than they are aiming for quad A. This is a good motivator for the team no one wants to say lets go for mediocre.

I can’t wait for this game and I know quite a few people that can’t wait for it either and we all plan on playing it in single and co op.

5. Telepathic.Geometry

Meh. I think that guys like Poops and Randy pitchford and a few others are obliged to talk up their games using as much free media coverage as possible, so I can’t say that I blame them, but…

…I think saying your game is going to be AAAA is putting a lot of pressure on your team, and courting disaster as far as reviews go. The expectations will be so high that when it turns out that it is just a very good, solid game, every one will be disappointed.

6. JimFear-666

EA… AAAA? Nop, you cant do a triple a or a quad A with a 5-7h games.

7. Ireland Michael

This is just nonsensical hyperbole. Why is anyone treating it as anything more than that?

8. Digital Bamboo

This game goes to 11.

9. TheWulf

These… these go to eleven.

That’s all I could think. All I could think. Whilst reading this. This is… just…

Deep breaths.

Okay, for those who don’t know, I’m talking about a scene from Spinal Tap.

Who’s going to be impressed by this kind of talk? Honestly. Dude. Woah. It goes up to eleven. And you may think I’m being harsh, but I’m really not. Dude. Woah. This is QUADRUPLE-A. It just feels ridiculous to type.

Why not just say…

We think we’re making a good triple-A game.

But no. There’s this marketing blurb and PR-speak. And that’s why this kind of thing isn’t for me. You might be looking forward to this, #4, but I’ve been massively turned off.

Wow.

Edit: I’m sorry. I still can’t get over this. They pulled a Spinal Tap, and they did this po-faced, with a total lack of irony. Am I the only one feeling a little embarrassed for them right now?

Really?

10. Phoenixblight

Its the producer what producer in any industry doesn’t exaggerate the product they are trying to sell.

Its why they are hired as producers, they are there to make sure the product sells and makes deadline. I have yet to see a producer that says “This is a pretty good game and I think some people will like it.” Get fucking real.

11. Ireland Michael

@10 Yeah, but there’s a huge world of difference between hype and hyperbole.

12. KrazyKraut

For me the train already departed. My girl and me are hardcore DS1 Fans. When they announced the second one, they said some stuff like: this will be better than the first one, it will be SCARIER! And what happened? They lied. And that’s why I will pass it for a long time.

13. mojo

so what willhappen in 10+ years?
    Becvause everyone is naming their high profile games septuple A EA is doing Octuple A games?

14. Telepathic.Geometry

@KrazyKraut: I’m totally at one with what you’re saying, because DS1 is quite possibly the perfect game in my view, but although DS2 is a different animal it’s a decent game, and it does have its moments. I’d recommend that you just accept that it’s the ugly child of DS1, but still family, and worth a play-through.

15. Telepathic.Geometry

Oh, and that goes for DS3 too methinks. DS1 was a fluke and will probably never happen again.

16. Digital Bamboo

@9 Oh yes, it’s hilarious. Imagine working there. In that studio. You’d be expected to take this all very seriously.

Quad high fives all around!!!!

I look forward to more hype-talk from this developer in the future, because this stuff is priceless. Pure gold.

17. Edo

Quintuple-A or GTFO!!

18. AHA-Lambda

really? fucking really, EA?

In a nutshell this basically sums up much of what is wrong with gaming.

19. manamana

Only thing beyond triple-A, is going to be the marketing budget they’ll spent on this sucker.

20. Sublimeone

@ KrazyKraut & Telepathic.- Totally feeling both of you. There is just something about DS1, that makes it by far superior to 2. Have both, but have played the first more than 10ce, unlike only 2ce on 2. I never even bothered with the Online Mulitplayer.

21. TheWulf

For what it’s worth, I agree. I’m sorry I didn’t comment on it. I was so gobsmacked by their statement of their game going up to eleven that I forgot to.

There was something special about Dead Space 1. There was a certain cleverness to it. It was partly in the weapons, partly in the atmosphere, and partly in the aesthetics (all of which I felt they at least partly lost in the second game).

It seems that for the third… they care not for prior cleverness.

Nope.

They just want to make money.

I can’t blame them. But I do feel sad that we’ve not seen a true sequel to the original Dead Space. Dead Space 1 was brilliant in its own way, Dead Space 2 lost a substantial amount of that brilliance and became a mediocre action adventure. The third game seems to be going further down the crapper.

I hate to be this cynical, but that they’re even giving foes guns and including cover shooting speaks volumes.

22. stealth

HAHAHAHAHAH

the game is super generic

its essentially shovelware