PS Vita hacked to allow for homebrew development – report

Thursday, 6th September 2012 08:22 GMT By Dave Cook

PS Vita has allegedly been hacked to make way for homebrew game development, CVG has reported. A coder named Yifan Lu has spearheaded development of a homebrew loader for the console.

Usermode Vita Loader is built on a PS Vita exploit previously found by Lu, and you can follow development of the program at his blog. The program will allegedly make it possible for users to create their own homebrew games on the PS Vita platform.

Sony has yet to respond to these hacking claims. How does the prospect of a hacked PS Vita make you feel? Let us know below.

Cheers CVG.

1. JimFear-666

I still feel uncomfortable every time a see a gaming news site with this kind of news.
    At the end of the day the some of the people here will go on the site and try to hack the vita…

2. Dave Cook

@1 Maybe I have too much faith in humanity, but I don’t consider that as a possibility. Am I too trusting do you reckon?

3. DrDamn

I think any one with that sort of inclination and ability is not going to get this information from a site like vg247.

4. Dave Cook

@3 that’s what I thought but our reader’s opinion is important to me, you teach me / I give you better content sort of thing :)

5. Erthazus

Nothing is wrong with that.
    It’s gaming news and it’s the news about platform Future so,

Dave, keep up the good work.

6. Dave Cook

@5 :)

7. KrazyKraut

yeah shitty news.

8. zinc

Good news. This info might encourage a few more people to pick one up :-)

9. FeaturePreacher

If this is true I certainly hope he gets a good raping in jail.

10. wiozan

I know its illegal, and shit, but i just cant live without emulation on a portable console, i need my nes/snes/gameboy/etc games. I might get a vita if this truly stays usable, and we get the emus.

11. Dragon246

@Dave,
    People get freaked out if they know they can get something for free. I know you had no ill will, but this will certainly harm vita prospects. I still remember how psp game sales tanked because of “homebrew”, a word conveniently used to develop software to pirate games. I hope this story dies down and no one else picks it up.
    Also most probably this news is utterly fake. Sony has learnt a lot for psp and ps3. Its probably some wannabe hacker trying to get clicks.

12. mojo

you call that illegal?
    lol, thats funny.

13. zinc

@11, I disagree. The R4 card did not kill the DS. In fact I know families who bought multiple consoles BECAUSE of it.

14. KrazyKraut

its not illegal. its not even illegal when you play an iso on this thing…as long as you own the game :)

15. CyberMarco

@14 I think it is. For example when you buy a DVD movie, you have the “rights” to watch the content of the DVD on a DVD-player. If you want to convert the movie to watch it on an ipod/psp you aren’t allowed and should buy a digital copy instead. It’s like saying, I bought 1kg of oranges but I can only eat them, I can’t make a juice from them.

16. uomoartificiale

I don’t condone piracy. I buy all my games, but I also I bought a console that’s like a computer and it’s also a completely closed system. As a developer myself, I don’t like that at all.
    I can endure that as long as this generation of consoles is going on, but as long as I buy a PS4, I’m going to hack my ps3, copy all my legitimately owned games into the HDD to preserve the Blurays, install dosbox and play The Last Express (I bought it last year on dotEmu), install ScummVM and replay The Dig, and maybe (for sure, actually) I’ll get back the linux that never was on my Slim.
    Right now I totally consider my PS3 as a computer that is held hostage by Sony, so I’m happy when I read of news like this, because it means someone is doing something to make me enjoy my consoles a couple of years along the road from now, Vita included.

17. mojo

15: its like buying a cd player and making a toaster out of it.
    Sont see the problem.
    its your device, u can do whatever u want with it.

18. CyberMarco

@17 http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071228150136AAxtwoC

19. uomoartificiale

@18 so what? maybe it’s illegal, but
    1) it’s not immoral
    2) it’s not a “crime” that can be ascertained because you’re in your house doing things with your stuff

thanks god not everything that’s illegal has to be punished or repressed or has to be morally wrong. In fact that is one case where you can tell the possible enforcers to go mind their own business…

20. OlderGamer

If it is true, it might drive sales.

21. CyberMarco

@19 I agree that it’s not a “crime” as you state and I wouldn’t think twice to do it, if I had too.

22. aseddon130

With the way that Sony are killing it with their PSN sales it seems almost pointless to start pirating Vita games (which this will eventually lead to) but if the system dies a death in the next 12 months then they shouldn’t be too fussed with it being blown wide open, if anything homebrew extends the life of a handheld.

23. ManuOtaku

I was ok with the Other OS issue, and when Geohozt eventually hacked the ps3, even if it wasnt the primary reason, it was a decent excuse at the least, this gave the affected people some tools to get back what they do have when they owned the device, it was for making the device how it was advertised and delivered to them ,in other words, to have the same device they did bought in the first place.

But this on the other hand, i dont agree with, because as much as will increase hardware sales, it will affect software sales, which in the end will affect developers, vita sales, sony etc, and they are changing the original concept created by sony, so in this case i dont agree with this, even if the device was owned by the end user, they have to consider the harm this is going to do, and not only see the benefits for them, as users, but just the overall picture iMHO.

24. ps3fanboy

i guess the fun is over with the psvita… we did see what happen to the psp, after it was hacked, it become an empty shell of what it could have been. no friendlist, no sending msg, no trophies all was dropped and games got hacked so scoreboards was useless. while these idiot hackers filled it with useless junk to no end.

its a sad day indeed…. when crap like this happen.

anyway if you want homebrew sony have already released “ps mobile” sdk, allowing you to build games/apps for the psvita legitimately…

25. Clupula

Well, goodbye Vita. If this happens this early in the system’s life time, it’s very much going to scare off the third parties and kill the system.

26. GanthKing

@24 psp was hacked since it was released, but it survived and still is supported well in Japan as those 70 mil. dont lie. Without PSP there wouldnt be Monter Hunter Portable, MGS Portable & Peace Walker, Crisis Core, Gundam, GoW Chains of the Olympus, Daxter… PS3 didnt have trophy support till 2008. Hackers were doing what Sony devs couldnt, not being limited.