Mortal Kombat sequel ‘needs innovation, not just new characters’, says Boon

Thursday, 6th September 2012 10:30 GMT By Dave Cook

Mortal Kombat developer NetherRealm has revealed that work on a follow up to its 2011 brawler has not yet begun, but once it does, it can’t just be a new update that adds exta characters. Instead, it must innovate.

Speaking with CVG, NetherRealm’s Ed Boon explained the need for change if and when the studio continues the Mortal Kombat franchise.

“Just philosophically,” Boon said, “I don’t think we could take the approach of doing the same thing but adding new characters in our next Mortal Kombat game. We definitely want to do something new with it, we feel we have to introduce something into the mix.”

Boon is also wary of launching a follow-up on existing hardware as this makes it harder to innovate, “If you introduce another edition of your game on the same console, you cannot provide a radically different experience. I’m sure, if we were to do a new Mortal Kombat game on next generation systems, I think we would be able to provide dramatically different experiences.”

What do you think? How could Boon and his team innovate the franchise? What would you like to see from a follow-up?

Thanks CVG.

1. Gheritt White

How about characters that each have their own unique weight and speed?

2. Ali

Well, he is easily my favorite creator in the industry and I have grown up playing his franchise and he basically never failed to impress me with his team.

That said, Ed and his team don’t really like to play it safe and this can be both exciting and dangerous. Last MK brough many to the series, and got th respect of many gamers. If you brought up something radically different to the gameplay like the changes done in MK4/DA-MKA, then you are at the risk of losing the touch again.

The MK team,at least the the vets there are nothing short of creative and you would get that in every aspect in their games no matter how flawed they are and they just know how to bring new ways of presentations to their franchise.

If I am to wrk on shaping the next installment of my childhood franchise, I would work harder to tone the acclaimed gameplay, add features to make deeper yet balanced and simply work around the overall theme and presentation of the game which isn’t really the hard part in MK’s univers.

Another way is to bring the fans an adventure co op game like Shaolin Monks, creating the hunger for the next fighting installment and playing it even safer.

Whatever they are going to do, I can see myself getting excited.

3. Lord Gremlin

More environment interaction maybe? To be honest I only care about GORE in my mortal combat. And here comes next gen, all entrails animated and affected by physics – nice.
    Although having good combat system helps only gore matters to me. I’ve enjoyed every PS2 outing despite combat. I do pretend that vs DC crap never existed. Innovate the gore – more details, more elaborate damage models. Character down to 10% HP? Show his/her guts spill out. Make each hit with a sword leave a cut, make detailed marks of Reptile claws, make Scorpion’s spear actually rip out a piece of flesh, that then stays on arena.
    Also, make Kratos come back and explain what kind of debt Raiden and Fujin will have to pay.

4. Maximum Payne

@3 They are already doing more environment interaction with their Injustice

5. Ali

I am not a fan of Envronment interaction getting its way to MK. They look really great in Injustice but not in MK please though I truly loved them in MKD/MKA.

Innovate the gore is certainly something to go for. Instead of the sarcastic/funny direction of gore in MK, how about they go for a serious one ? Sure MK isn’t supposed to be serious, bu I am wonder how will that turn out.

6. Lord Gremlin

@4 Well, don’t blame me for wishing for it, I won’t buy Injustice (no real gore).

7. Clupula

Ed, the last time you guys tried to innovate, we got the run button and canned combos. Those were awful ideas and the reason MK3 is not as fondly look at as MK2. Stick with what works. Experiment in the extra modes.

Just do what you did with MK2. Give us everything the original did, but more of it.

8. The_Red

Even with run and canned combos, MK3 is still my fave game in the series. While MK2 has its fans, it’s rather debatable which one is more fondly remembered because I know for a fact that MK3 has a legion of fans as well (Or specifically, UMK3).

Heck, UMK3 is still being played to this day by many while MK2 is mostly collecting dust.

9. sh4dow

Hello no! If something doesn’t need innovation, it’s Mortal Kombat.
    Whenever companies try to “improve” on an established IP that already works great, the result is disastrous. See e.g. Tony Hawk, Marvel vs. Capcom, Bionic Commando

10. Clupula

UMK3 is popular because it added back what MK3 took away from MK2.

11. AmirGTR

FIFA, NFL, Gran Turismo, Forza…these are all successful titles that remained nearly identical throughout their series. They simply improved upon their way achieving their set objective. This applies to software as well. Photoshop, Flash, Word, Excel, 3Ds Max, etc.

Innovation should come in the form of evolution. Let’s start by further developing a more realistic, more engaging fighting experience that gets your blood pumping. A better story, eye catching graphics and physics, more gore and mature rated stuff.

I would say switching the physics/graphics engine to something more in tune with today’s demands is about the only “revolution” this game needs for its next version.

#11 1 year ago