Dead Space 3 can offer ‘a hundred hours’ of value

Tuesday, 4th September 2012 08:33 GMT By Dave Cook

Dead Space 3 is looking to be a lot bigger than its predecessors, and developer Visceral Games has explained why you could get ‘literally’ a hundred hours of gameplay out of it – and that’s not just down to co-op play either.

In an interview with AusGamers, Dead Space 3 associate producer, Yara Khoury explained the game’s weapon crafting feature in more detail, and suggested that it significantly bolsters play time, along with other features.

“I think Dead Space 3 is a little bit different,” Khoury explained, “because we have a little bit more depth in gameplay, and also in the environments. So we have the beta-path, which are additional, and total optional levels to explore, which is great if you want to scavenge for great resources.2

“So this totally ties back into the weapon-crafting feature,” Khoury continued, “and the resource management, where you have to explore the world to find the best resources that get you the best parts, and the most badass weapons that you can make. So this all ties in together, into that focus in our investment into making more options for our players to explore.”

On the subject of game length, Khoury claimed, “If you are into weapon crafting, you can spend literally one hundred hours in this thing. If you want to explore all the beta-paths; if you want to replay with the co-op; it’s way more about choice in Dead Space 3: you can really spend a lot of time doing that.”

“So I would say it’s a deeper game, that has more gameplay depth, and I think our players are going to find a lot of replayability value; more than in Dead Space and in Dead Space 2, actually.”

Are you excited for Dead Space 3, or does the slicker shooting and co-op slant put you off a little? Let us know below.

Thanks AusGamers.

1. Telepathic.Geometry

I wanna play this game, and I’m sure it will be quality with high production values, but I call bullshit on this. I predict that taking into account the single-player, co-op, trophy hunting and weapon crafting, you’ll be doing very well to get 50 hours out of it.

2. Tiffania

I look forward to it! 100 hours of gameplay sounds great but I dont think you can make that much out of this game. But we’ll see :)

3. Optimaximal

Longer =/= Better!

4. The_Red

I don’t think they (EA) will ever understand this.
    After all, they are the same idiots that though “Duh, what is Dead Space missing!? Oh, ooh, I know, I know. It’s missing Co-op, cover system and more action, DUH!”.

5. ps3fanboy

it can offer hundred hours of play time but not one hour of horror survival…

you can keep your disaster visceral games, i didn’t get into dead space because of fps shooter co-op action.

6. deathm00n

@4 Don’t forget the best part: “We are adding co-op because people were terryfied about the previous games” Thanks EA, I’m glad now that my horror game is less terrifying! Next remove a little history of my RPG game please? How about a little less strategy from my RTS? Thanks!

7. Phoenixblight

I agree I got about 30 hours out of the second one because of me trying to get all the trophies and trying my hand at the hardest difficulty. Dead Space 3 looks great and I can’t wait to play it with single player and co op.

Get over yourself Dead Space was never a survival horror game. Its focus was always action with jump scares much like watching James Camerons’ Aliens. Survival Horror would be like the original Alien or The Thing. Dead Space was never those.

8. Kuwabara

sweet, a lebanese girl as associate producer.