Tomb Raider to include “iconic” moments fans will always remember

Wednesday, 29th August 2012 08:19 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Tomb Raider global brand manager Karl Stewart has said Tomb Raider will contain moments fans will remember for the rest of the franchise as “iconic”.

“It’s very important to us that throughout the game there’s these iconic moments that you’ll remember for the rest of the franchise,” Stewart told GamingLives.

“It’s very important to us that you finish and you go ‘I’m going to remember that for the next game and the next game and the next game’. It’s like the moment that Batman got his mask, or James Bond got his first martini; there’s things that you want to come to the fray and say ‘I remember those moments, they’re iconic.’”

The two non-Tomb Raider examples Stewart gave seem particularly relevant to the reboots role as an origin story, and the Crystal Dynamis staffer went on to discuss how Lara goes from being an every day girl to an action hero over the course of just one game.

“We don’t want Lara to become a cold-blooded killer and just go around firing bows at everybody, but you also want to realise that she’s nearly been killed, and she’s been forced to have to kill somebody in a totally uncomfortable situation,” he said.

“Two of her friends have been kidnapped, you find out pretty quickly that it may have been Lara’s fault that they’re there in the first place, so you maybe realise that your motivation is to save your friends. Then you have the island and the mystery and you want to get off and these guys who are trying to kill you, and you feel like, I’m not going to stop and talk to them, they’re out to kill me, so everything has to be motivated.

“You can’t just kind of go in and say ‘okay, she’s a cold-blooded killer’ so those situations, whether it be her first kill or others, heighten the sense of continuing to know why she’s doing what she’s doing, and at no point do you feel like she’s just a cold-blooded killer.”

Tomb Raider is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in early 2013.

1. Gheritt White

“It’s very important to us that throughout the game there’s these iconic moments that you’ll remember for the rest of the franchise”… like that QTE bit where you rape Lara.

2. absolutezero

“It’s very important to us that throughout the game there’s these iconic moments that you’ll remember for the rest of the franchise”…like wiping out already thought to be extinct species.

3. Talkar

Except that doesn’t happen… But sure, let us get angry at developers for doing something we imagine they are doing!

4. OrbitMonkey

Well surely Lara’s *iconic* moment will be when she wriggles into a pair of combat hot pants and picks up 2 guns… I mean that’s what she’s known for right?

The double d boobies job will be in the sequal I suspect.

5. Gheritt White

@ 3: I *know* – yeesh, I was just going for lulz. IMHO this game will be GREAT on all levels and I can’t wait to get my hands on it.

@ 4: Lara’s boobe-job be a playable segment… via QTEs. If you much it up her boobs go all lumpy.

6. ps3fanboy

its just to late now, i read about this game in 2010 and i expected a 2010 release but there was none. the 2011 arrived and no release either, now in 2012 i have just lost interest totally 100% in this game. there is more interesting games coming and have already been released, i have moved on long time ago. tomb rider games rip 1996…..

7. mongbatstar

Every comment so far: retarded.

8. deathm00n

@7 I totally agree with you

9. Moonwalker1982

@1…yeah about that…no, just no.

I hope you were kidding, cause that nonsense was way exeggerated to begin with. Check the trailer again and you see it has nothing to do with rape. Whoever came up with that nonsense…i can only ‘sigh’ at him/her.

I played Tomb Raider at Gamescom and i must say i’m looking very very forward to the game. The controls are great and responsive, for the first time it really feels like you are controlling a character, a human being. I had this with Hitman Absolution too when i played it. The animations are great and even though it was like what…15 minutes of gameplay? I can already see myself starting to care for Lara. For the very first time they finally give her a true personality that you can care about.

I’d say Tomb Raider is among the most promising games of 2013, along with bioshock Infinite.