Guild Wars 2 player reaches level 80 cap pre-launch

Tuesday, 28th August 2012 04:53 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Guild Wars 2 isn’t even officially out yet, but while newbie Dave is still figuring out what button does what, some clever clogs has only gone and power-levelled right to the experience cap.

MMO Culture reports the level 80 Surfeuz plays a crafter, and managed the amazing feat thanks to assistance from his guild, War Legend, which donated materials.

“Be aware that this was not through normal levelling. A few users have made us aware of unusual ways to level very fast. We’re fixing these issues as I type,” ArenaNet’s Mike O’Brien said on Reddit.

Guild Wars 2 launches in just a few short hours, at midnight PDT. Those who pre-purchased have been enjoying a headstart period.

Thanks, Talkar!

1. Puggy

Weren’t there some reports about people managing that even faster? I remember something about 35 Hours on Guildwars2guru. Not too sure if it was legit or not, some say it was an exploit (something about doing an event over and over… what to me sounds more like grinding, than exploiting). If I remember correctly he or them went to level 68 with events/mob hunting and then did the last few levels with crafting.

2. magnumfinger

This MMO is so going to get f*cked up real soon. My suggestion is farm the hell out of this game and use all the available exploit on leveling, so you can sell your character before 1 month in real cash.

3. GrimRita

You get alot of xp for crafting, especially new stuff. I dinged something like 10 levels by cooking. The problem is, now that I cant sell what I have made, cant buy mats, cant do anything else until ARENA FIX THEIR FUCKING AUCTION HOUSE. Three days, is beyond the joke now.

4. roadkill

@2 LOL! Dude you’re such a f**king douche-bag!

5. TheWulf

I can’t understand why anyone would rush to 80, though, that seems bizarre. That’s missing the point. See, it takes about as much time to get from level 10-11 as it does from 79-80. It’s a linear level curve, and it’s that way because the entire game is designed to be fun. The point is is that you take your time and enjoy yourself.

It’d be kind of like doing an ending rush in a game like Darksiders II on your first time playing it through, and ignoring all of the secrets and most of the content just in order to see the ending before anyone else. I honestly can’t understand the appeal of this. Sure, you can do it, but why? There’s a game there to be enjoyed, and doing that misses the point.

I can understand doing a speed run once you’ve played a game fully and had a chance to enjoy it, that makes perfect sense. But doing speedruns on your first playthrough? It’s baffling. Their loss, I guess, since being level 80 or even the first to level 80 means shit all in GW2 because it’s intentionally easy to get there.

6. TheWulf

Agreed. I’m… really not sure what’s going on, there. I think they had some unexpected derp and it’s proving hard to fix. They have been landing a lot of new builds, though, so I definitely think they’re working hard on this. Three new builds landed last night. I think they’re trying to get everything shipshape for today’s official launch.

So hopefully it’ll be up soon? But yeah, I agree, it is a shame that the auction house is just not at all present right now.

7. TheWulf

You have no knowledge of this game whatsoever, I get that. Okay, let me help. Getting to level 80 is so easy that no one would buy a level 80 account. Actually getting there doesn’t mean shit, in fact it means you’ve skipped over most of the fun content. Guild Wars 2 isn’t about levels or raids, it’s about having fun. And the only things you can get through spending your time grinding are cosmetic upgrades.

So you wouldn’t even be able to sell a level 80 account. Anyone trying would be laughed off the Internet. In order to have an account worth selling, you’d have to have a good selection of cosmetic items in order for someone to use. To get a decent enough collection takes quite a bit of time, and there are collections for almost everything, so completionists aren’t going to be impressed with 10% of a collection.

As such, an idea such as yours is doomed to failure, unless you’re willing to spend the next six months grinding. And sure, you’ll have all the cosmetic shit, then, but you’ll have had zero fun. And I’ll have just been playing the game to have fun. Who do you think wins, here?

8. Puggy

Well, I do think having an 80 Character has some perks in the early stages of the game, since generally (correct me if it is different with GW2), higher-level Mobs/Events give better rewards, thus more money.

Since there is not a lot of money in the game, the price for stuff is rather low, since money can not be generated at a fast pace if people are lower levels, so the max level character can create a lot of money, and use it to buy goods, before hyper inflation happens and the “worth” of currency sinks.

Maybe even use his earned money to buy some crystals. I heard that was said to be possible.

So yeah, there might be some reasons to get max-levels as fast as possible. Maybe it is even fun for those people, who are we to judge them?